Windows 7 PC resumes itself from hibernation

cloggyjohn

Extraordinary Member
For a while now my desktop, running W7 Ultimate, has been resuming itself from hibernation mode for, to me at least, no apparent reason. This seemed to start after installing Google Chrome browser and McAfee anti-virus, both of which have automatic update features. I uninstalled the former and disabled the automatic update of the latter but to no avail. Can anybody help me the find the cause. Thanks.

P.S. I'm a first time user so apologies if this is in the incorrect forum, please advise if so.

Could be any number of scheduled tasks - Windows Update, MSE, defrag, timeset, etc. Have a look through Task Scheduler.

You can also fire up Event Viewer to see who's doing what when.

If you really don't want to allow a scheduled task to wake your computer, you can disable "wake timers" in the advance power management settings.

Roebuck - Have disabled the wake timers which has stopped the PC resuming itself, now have to find out what was causing it. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Ironically cloggyjohn, I think you ought to be in contact with all those people who's computers have a BSOD when hibernating.
You should be able to hit the middle ground between you! :)

To anyone else still tearing out their hair trying to solve this (as was I), here is a possible solution. The problem could be a rootkit malware attack.

To check and remove rootkits, download and run Kaspersky's TDSSKiller:

http://support.kaspersky.com/downloads/utils/tdsskiller.zip

I ran this. It found one infection, quaranteened the file, rebooted my computer, and hibernation now works.

After countless attempts to fix hibernation, this was the only solution that worked for me.

Back