Windows 7 PC turns off without warning

Endorphyn

Hi, since about 1 month my PC turns randomly off.

Sometimes after 10 hours, sometimes after 2. Mostly when in Idle or when i'm watching movies on a second Monitor (TV but it also crashes if it is unplugged so thats not the reason). Sometimes when i try to boot again it wont start except if i turn off the PSU for ~15 seconds.
Sometimes when i reboot theres an error message "Asus Anti Surge was triggered".

I already tried:
- replaced my OCZ ModXstream 600w with a Corsair AX750 PSU - No help
- Stock settings in Bios - No help
- Asus Anti surge deactivated - No help
- Changed the power outlet to another one - No help (I have to say, i dont know anything about those powercycles and stuff, i did this couse someone told me)

So well, here i am. Clueless. Maybe someone of you know a solution. Or could tell me at least what it is. I even dont know if it is a Hardware failure or the powercycles in my house (im living in an old, old house, so i think its possible)

btw. my hardware:

i5 3570k @4,3 GHZ
Asus Sabertooth Z77
GeiL Evo Corsa 16GB
Sapphire AMD 6970HD
2 Harddisks 250/500gb
1 SSD OCZ Agility 3 120gb

And like i mentioned 2 different PSU's.
OCZ ModXstream 600w
Corsair AX750

Well, swapping PSUs would have been my first suggestion. And ensuring you were not overclocking (stock BIOS settings) would have been another.

Heat is always suspect so you might try opening the side panel and blasting a desk fan in there.

As for your house current, IMO, ALL computers should be on a good UPS with AVR (automatic voltage regulation). A surge and spike protector is little more than a fancy and expensive extension cord as they do absolutely nothing for low voltage anomalies like sags (opposite of surges) and dips/dropouts (opposite of spikes) or long duration high voltage events (except cutting power). Backup power during a full power outage is only the icing on the cake. The AVR is the bread and butter. But like PSUs, there are cheap and there are good UPS. A better UPS has, for one thing, a much faster cut-over time and a "cleaner" output voltage.

Also, every household should have a AC Outlet Tester. I recommend one with a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupt) indicator as it can be used to test bathroom and kitchen outlets too. These testers can be found for your type and voltage outlet, foreign or domestic, at most home improvement stores, or even the electrical department at Walmart.

Note you say you have the BIOS set to the default settings but then you say the i5 3570k is at 4.3GHz. The default speed of the 3570k, as seen here, is 3.4GHz, 3.8GHz in turbo mode. Did you mean 3.4GHz?

This could be a RAM problem too. You can test RAM using one of the following programs. Both require you to create and boot to a bootable floppy disk or CD to run the diagnostics. Allow the diagnostics to run for several passes or even overnight. You should have no reported errors.

Windows Memory Diagnostic - see the easy to follow instructions under Quick Start Information,
or
MemTest86+ (for more advanced users) - an excellent how-to guide is available here,
or
Windows 7 and Windows 8 users can use the built in Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool.​

Note, however, that software based RAM diagnostic tools are good, but not conclusive. So you might try running with just a single RAM module to see if it fails. Repeat process with remaining modules, hopefully identifying the bad stick through a process of elimination.

I also suggest you pull your extra drives leaving just the boot drive, and any other extra attached devices and see what happens.

How old is this system? It could be a bad motherboard.

"Asus Anti Surge was triggered" means mainly that your ASUS motherboard connected security has detected some sort of failure in power supply. It is not necessarily about PSU, it can be about basic wall contacts you have used = you have several machines / apparatus attached to one fuse, and something just doesn't work. It could be like "start microwave..." off goes computer. It could even be such a basic thing as lack in grounding.

Another
of the basic things could be overheating. But it wouldn't trigger Asus Anti Surge.

Well, swapping PSUs would have been my first suggestion. And ensuring you were not overclocking (stock BIOS settings) would have been another.

Yeah swapping PSU i tried first, i ensured to get a nice one. I think the AX750 is.
I am actually overclocking! Changing back to stock (3.4/3.8 turbo) had no effect.

Heat is always suspect so you might try opening the side panel and blasting a desk fan in there.

Temps are fine for CPU & GPU, i checked this with Prime and Furmark.

This could be a RAM problem too. You can test RAM using one of the following programs.

Well i will do this as soon as possible and come back with my result. Never thought about an RAM problem couse the power related error message (Asus Anti Surge)

I also suggest you pull your extra drives leaving just the boot drive, and any other extra attached devices and see what happens.

I will do this.

How old is this system? It could be a bad motherboard.

4 month. unlucky me.

Temps are fine for CPU & GPU, i checked this with Prime and Furmark.
Heat related problems are not isolated to processor units. Virtually any component on the motherboard can overheat - either by insufficient flow of cool air through the case, or by a faulty device incapable of handling normal heat levels. And it is the case's responsibility to provide adequate air flow.

4 month. unlucky me.
ASUS warranties their motherboards for 3 years.

Heat related problems are not isolated to processor units. Virtually any component on the motherboard can overheat - either by insufficient flow of cool air through the case, or by a faulty device incapable of handling normal heat levels. And it is the case's responsibility to provide adequate air flow.

ASUS warranties their motherboards for 3 years.

The Sabertooth Z77 has a 5 year warranty. Thats not why im unlucky. Im unlucky becouse my "brand new" hardware has problems already.

I bought the Board, the CPU and the RAM as a package and i could RMA it since i got warranty for my OC too (The shop oc'd and offers warranty for their settings). Do you think i should do this, even tho i dont know what the problem is? I mean... i changed PSU, tried stock settings, tried different power outlets and more.

I ask couse maybe they'll just send it back to me and say they could'nt find any problems and this would be a waste of time. As you said it could be the microwave in the kitchen...

Anyways im planning on testing the RAM next... I wish i got faulty RAM not MoBo

Do you think i should do this, even tho i dont know what the problem is?
I think you should contact them and put them on notice you have this problem.

As for the microwave oven, it would not do it unless running. But of course, any other high wattage item, including $15 1500W hair dryers from China could put anomalies on the line. But I suspect something inside the computer and not out.

It would not be good if you voided your warranty by swapping in and out a bunch of parts.

Last edited:
I think you should contact them and put them on notice you have this problem.

As for the microwave oven, it would not do it unless running. But of course, any other high wattage item, including $15 1500W hair dryers from China could put anomalies on the line. But I suspect something inside the computer and not out.

It would not be good if you voided your warranty by swapping in and out a bunch of parts.

Funny thing, last time my girlfriend used the 2000w hair dryer when i was on my PC it shut down...

Well i'll unplug the hair dryer! Im scared now.

Funny thing, last time my girlfriend used the 2000w hair dryer when i was on my PC it shut down...

Well i'll unplug the hair dryer! Im scared now.
Then go get a good UPS with AVR. this is what I use. It protects my i7 8Gg PC, all my network gear, and both LCD monitors.

I have another on my home theater equipment to protect my TV, receiver, BluRay and cable box.

Another suspicious thing i just found...

My TV (in standby) sometimes makes a clicking noise and the backlight turns on for ~0.5 seconds, this makes me think about the houses electronics again.

I'm just unsure what to do now again... I need my Computer for work, so RMA it would'nt be the best choice. I google'd my Problem long before i posted here and i only found one case where it was a faulty Mainboard. It was mostly PSU related, some cases with Anti surge triggering incorrectly (i deactivated this option, i feel save enough with the AX750)

Yet i could'nt test the ram... i definitely have to do this. Last time i got a faulty ram i was getting bsods so i thought this will happen usually.

Last edited:
Yet i could'nt test the ram...
Why? Because of BSODs? Then you need to pull all but one stick and run with one at a time.

And regardless, since this is under warranty, and less than 1 year old, the shop should be providing support. In fact, they are required to provide tech support for Windows.

Yet i could'nt test the ram... i definitely have to do this. Last time i got a faulty ram i was getting bsods so i thought this will happen usually.​

Why couldn't you test the RAM this time? If you still get BlueScreens, visit Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) and post your problem there (also because I work there - :) ).

You can try running Memtest, or - try asking your shops for a replacement (if any of your friends have compatible RAM sticks with your motherboard, try them first).

Question: You say you deactivated Asus Anti-surge in the BIOS but when you exited out did you save the changes?

Question: You say you deactivated Asus Anti-surge in the BIOS but when you exited out did you save the changes?

Yes i did, i just checked it again, but i did.

And im getting no bsods! I never got one... That's what making it hard to find the problem.
I could'nt test the RAM becouse i was'nt home for a week now.

I installed a new fan to my case and i've seen the USB 3.0 cable was'nt plugged in properly.
Dont know if that could have caused the problems, but yet no crashes anymore.

So for now i will wait and see what happens.

Yes i did, i just checked it again, but i did.

And im getting no bsods! I never got one... That's what making it hard to find the problem.
I could'nt test the RAM becouse i was'nt home for a week now.

I installed a new fan to my case and i've seen the USB 3.0 cable was'nt plugged in properly.
Dont know if that could have caused the problems, but yet no crashes anymore.

So for now i will wait and see what happens.

I have the exact same problem! Did you find a solution?

Hi everyone,
Little late but same problem here. Pc reboots sometimes , or shuts down and i can not turn it back on only when i unplug the cord , wait 15sec and plug back in. 'Asus sabertooth Z77'
Googled it , and it may be a problem with usb 3.0 'serial' connector from your case that to plug into the mobo.
Tried different PSU, RAM. Disabled the 'anti purge' option. Disabled overclocking.
So now i unplugged the usb 3.0 Connector and see what it does.
I think that is the problem because sometimes when i plug in a 3.0 stick it recognizes the stick and then a little later it does not recognize it anymore.
Canceled my RMA to try this , i'm very curious the problem still exists.
Will post here again. Does anyone still have problems?
Regards , CopperMich
cpuid.jpg

@ Gustav and CopperMich

Note the OP's last response (which you quoted, Gustav) was on Jan 21, 2013 where he reported,
In 2013 Endorphyn said:
USB 3.0 cable was'nt plugged in properly.
... no crashes anymore.
So besides dredging up and replying to dormant and apparently resolved threads, unless you have the exact same hardware (motherboard, RAM, CPU, graphics, drive configuration, attached USB devices) and the exact same operating system, the exact same security programs, the exact same operating temperatures, and you were doing the exact same thing when the problem occurred, it is not likely you have the exact same problem.

There are many dozens of things that can cause a computer to suddenly shut down, including malware, power, heat, bad RAM, failing motherboard (which encompasses many devices alone), failing CPU, faulty attached devices, and more.

And note the problem was, the computer turns off, sometimes after 10 hours, sometimes after 2. Mostly when in Idle or when i'm watching movies on a second Monitor

Because it is highly unlikely you have the exact same problem with the exact same hardware and exact same set of circumstances, it is ALWAYS best to start your own thread to report your problems, and not piggyback or hijack another members threads, or dredging up old threads.

Hey ,
Ok sorry i waked this old thread.
But i disagree , i think its the same problem regardless it is another cpu ,ram ...
I think this is a problem related with the 'sabertooth z77' motherboard and that is why i posted it here. Its hardware related so no spyware or malware. RAM is tested correctly, been testen lots and lots of different configurations,psu , ram.....
But thanks for the tip anyway.

Regards

Same symptom, especially such a vague and varied one as "PC turns randomly off" does NOT equal the same problem - even if the same motherboard. And regardless, the problem was from 2 years ago! In that time there have been 3 BIOS updates, 2 chipset updates, and even a USB 3.0 utility update for that motherboard. Windows 8.1 was released and there have been hundreds of Windows Updates. You have an i7 the OP has (had) an i5. And I highly doubt you have the same RAM, same case, or same case cooling.

And speaking of case cooling, I note this problem was apparently resolved by (1) adding a new case fan and (2) securely fastening a loose cable. We don't even know if there was anything connected to the other end of that cable. Nor does that even suggest there ever really was a "fault" or "defect" with any hardware - let alone the motherboard. In fact, it suggests to me heat was the problem - a very common cause for PCs to shutdown.

So while I appreciate your symptom may be the same, and I especially appreciate your desire to resolve your issue (noting it MUST be frustrating after spending good money on a quality board from a reputable maker), I cannot, and you should not assume the cause is the same. And again, even if this was a current thread, your problem deserves undivided attention just as you do by addressing your problem in your own thread.

Back