Windows 7 PC won't open certain programs - Please HELP [Unsolved]

Utaheka

Hello SevenForums.
I have an issue with my Windows / my PC, that I hope you can help me with.
Last night I used my PC just fine and so on.
But when I turned it on today and logged in I couldn't open my most used programs (StarCraft II, Windows Live & Firefox 5 - Dunno if there's more).
I find it extremely ordinary, and it has never happened before..

What happens is, that I click the shortcut and nothing happens. I tried editing my exefile default to something else, but this doesn't work either.
I thought to myself: Oh well, I'll just uninstall - but NO! I can't even uninstall the programs.

I certainly hope you can help me with this issue!

Best Regards,
Utaheka

Have you tried to open them in the safe mode? Not always but if you could do a system restore that may work.

Seems like running a virus scanner, then doing a cold boot to clear out whatever might be messed up could help.

id also try and use the hidden administrator account then login in with that account and see if your programs run correctly

let me no if you want help on this

Well, I'd like to update on my own situation (before I read yours)

I did another system restore (in the f8 repair menu), and it worked. But as soon as I don't "restart" my PC from that, it doesn't work. - I'm kind of asuming a virus.. - And yes, the programs does work in safe mode =(...
Any Virus programs you might suggest for this specific occasion?

Well, I'd like to update on my own situation (before I read yours)

I did another system restore (in the f8 repair menu), and it worked. But as soon as I don't "restart" my PC from that, it doesn't work. - I'm kind of asuming a virus.. - And yes, the programs does work in safe mode =(...
Any Virus programs you might suggest for this specific occasion?

I'd suggest Malwarebytes as it's a great 'hunter-killer' for viruses..

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - Reviews and free Malwarebytes Anti-Malware downloads at CNET Downloads

OK, this is from left field, but I noticed it today. Do you know if you have KB979900 installed? The reason I ask is because it seems to effect just Firefox.

Open msconfig and uncheck everything on startup tab, reboot and try again
if that works...go back into msconfig and restore things one at a time, reboot and try again, when problem resurfaces, you found problem...
For proper computer maintenance you can use Reg InoutSytem Utilities

Back