Windows 10 Performance comparison 8.1 and 10

davehc

Essential Member
Premium Supporter
How are things with your performance, so far. I have a dual boot on an old i5 Laptop. These are not sophisticated measurements, only my observations with my own wrist watch. I have found the speed difference, when opening various programs on my PC, almost identical. In fact, Windows 8.1, in a couple of cases, was the better. But these small differences could easily be accounted for.

However, the task manager comparison was interesting. Not much to ponder on there !! The left hand is Windows 8. The second Windows 10

Win8.png
win 10.png

Last time I ran 10130 I used the Nvidia Windows 10 driver 352.84 and gaming was awful. It may have been down to the driver and replacing it may have helped but I didn't keep the build installed long enough to find out. I'll try a later build but for me at least Windows 10 isn't yet ready to run day to day. (my old system was fine but that's because the drivers were mature).

Interesting. Have you any idea why the Ethernet load is high in W10, probably the cause of 28% disk load? Some synchronization job with a cloud?

Hi

I'm still running version 10074, and I'm running Nvidia driver 352.84 but everything is running fine in games.
Right now I'm playing The Witcher 3, but I've tried all my other games as well and everything is running normally.

I'm still waiting for something to come along on the slow ring before I upgrade but it's been a long wait.

Mike

Hi trouble.

Great, I'll do the update tomorrow.
I was really getting bored waiting for something new.

I'll make my image backup right now so I'm ready.

Mike

Well that was fast, I decided not to wait until tomorrow and it finished in about 55 minutes.
It's all up and running.

The last time it took forever!

Last edited:
Last time I ran 10130 I used the Nvidia Windows 10 driver 352.84 and gaming was awful. It may have been down to the driver and replacing it may have helped but I didn't keep the build installed long enough to find out. I'll try a later build but for me at least Windows 10 isn't yet ready to run day to day. (my old system was fine but that's because the drivers were mature).

I agree. 352.84 stinks! It ruins the gaming experience.

After updating I couldn't get The Witcher 3 to run.
Now I've reinstalled it but it won't load my saves.

After updating I couldn't get The Witcher 3 to run.
Now I've reinstalled it but it won't load my saves.

Same here. I had to reinstall to Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2012 Update 4.
Steam has cloud back up. Did you get the GOG version?

I compared the boot times as measured in Event 100 of the event viewer. The Windows 10 boot was twice as long as Windows 8.1 in a completely identical environment (50.3 sec versus 23.5 sec)

Same here. I had to reinstall to Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2012 Update 4.
Steam has cloud back up. Did you get the GOG version?

I have the GOG version.
I did get the game to run but it won't load my saves because it says, "Cannot load save because it was created in a newer version of the game".

I've updated the patches to version 1.05 which is the latest one, but I still get the message.

I don't really want to start over but it looks like I'll have to, the only saves that load are from May 20th and before.

Mike

Back