Windows 7 Periodic Performance Issues

Kieron

Hello. I have a Packard Bell iextreme M5722, with 6GB of RAM and with an NVIDIA GeForce GT 220. I do not have much installed on my machine and run AVG antivirus. I am getting periodic (like a couple of times an hour) performance issues, where by if I am connected to the internet, it just hangs (I am pretty sure it is not my connection as all my other devices work fine) or if I am using an application or playing a game (a five year old game no less) the performance almost grinds to a halt. I have tried to get to the bottom of this via the resource monitor but to no avail - to be honest I don't really know what I am looking at.

I assume there must be some kind of scheduled job that runs and kills my machine but I cannot identify it. If I turn off an on again it usually runs fine for a bit and then grinds again.

Do you have any suggestions for how I identify the fault and fix this?
Many thanks!

Sorry - just read the 'Tips' sticky thread (should really have done that first):

System details as follows:

Version: 6.1.7600 Build 7600
System Type: x64-based PC

My PC was new with Windows 7 on it

thanks again

It's possible some malware has gotten onto your machine. Run malwarebytes: Link Removed - Invalid URL.

Use the cpu meter from the gadgets to monitor cpu and memory at the time of the incident. If you see an anomaly, open task manager to isolate the process and terminate it. If you can see the process you may be able to get rid of it permanantly.

You might want to post in a virus removal section of a forum.

Last edited:
In some cases, anti-virus programs do searches or scans which I may slow down your system. If you use Task Manager, open the processes tab and click the CPU column. If you click a certain way, the highest usage will be at the top. With the idle process being usually the highest, watch what goes to near the top of the list when your system slows down.

There are so many programs or utilities that want to "Call Home" it is hard to determine which one it might be.

Hi Kieron,

To start with this issue may be arising due to AVG as i have found it to be very resource hungry at times, you should look for some better and lighter AV

Here are a few steps that may help you:

1. Registry Tweaks:
Following topic contains a few registry tweaks to optimize your system performance and add a few useful extras:
Link Removed - Invalid URL
You just need to download the Link Removed - Invalid URL, extract it and run the file. It'll ask for confirmation, accept it. Restart your system to take affect.
2. Right-click on Link Removed - Invalid URLicon on Desktop and select Properties (or press WIN + Pause/Break keys). Now click on Advanced system settings link in left side pane (You can open it directly by giving sysdm.cpl command in RUN or start menu search box). Now click on Settings button in Performance section:
Link Removed due to 404 Error
It'll open another window. Disable all unnecessary options in Visual Effects tab, you can leave following options enabled according to your requirements:

• Enable Aero Peek (If you want to use Aero Peek feature)
  • Enable Desktop composition (If you want to use Windows Aero theme)
  • Enable transparent glass (If you want to use transparency in Windows)
  • Show thumbnails instead of icons (If you want to show thumbnails in Explorer)
  • Show window contents while dragging (If you want windows to show contents while moving them)
  • Smooth edges of screen fonts (If you want to show smooth fonts)
  • Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop (If you want to show shadows under desktop icon labels)
  • Use visual styles on windows and buttons (If you want to use Windows Aero or Basic theme)
3. Open Windows Explorer and go to "Organize -> Folder and Search Options" and click on "View" tab.
Now disable following options:

• Display file size information in folder tips
  • Hide extensions for known file types
  • Show encrypted or compressed NTFS files in color
  • Show pop-up description for folder and desktop items
4. Right-click on Computer icon on Desktop and select Manage (You can also open it directly by giving services.msc command in RUN or start menu search box).
Now go to Services & Applications-> Services. Here you can set a few unnecessary services to Manual, so that these services don't start automatically with Windows and you can get a faster startup.
Visit following tutorial to know which services can be set to MANUAL to increase system performance:
Link Removed - Invalid URL
5. Type msconfig in RUN or Startmenu search box and press Enter. Now go to Startup tab and disable unwanted startup entries. You can disable your graphics card's driver utility, Sound Card utility, etc to speed up the system startup and to increase system performance.
6. Open Sound applet in Link Removed - Invalid URL (or type mmsys.cpl in RUN or Startmenu search box and press Enter). Now go to Sounds tab and select No Sounds from Sound Scheme section. You can keep some of your favorite sounds enabled but make sure to set Exit Windows, Windows Log off, Link Removed - Invalid URL Logon and Start Navigation to (None).
Also disable "Play Windows Startup sound" option to disable the sound clip which is played at login screen.
7. Also don't forget to:

• Defrag the hard disk regularly
  • Install only necessary softwaresLink Removed - Invalid URL
  • Use the latest device drivers
  • Keep your Windows up-to-date
After following all the above mentioned points, you'll definitely notice major improvements in your Windows 7 performance.

Regards,

Manjeet

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom