Windows 10 "Permission" problems, can't share files on some network computers

phoneemail56

I've got home/office network of 7 computers (all on Win 10). Each computer has files in the public documents that needs to be accessed, with full control, by the other computers. Most all the computers communicate fine with one another, but I've got one computer (TOM) that can only read the files and folders on another computer (MAIN). MAIN has full control of TOM's files but not vise versa. When TOM tries to make changes in MAIN it says you do not have permission from MAIN/user to make these changes. All the other computers have full control of MAIN, TOM is the only that doesnt. I have changed share and permission settings as much as i know how but nothing is working. Any advice would be greatly appropriated, Thanks

Hi and welcome to the forum:up:
Generally speaking this kind of problem can be resolved by using W10 Homegroups. :up: If it still doesn't fix the problem, that machine (TOM) may have some Windows registry corruption, viruses/malware, or failing hardware such as a bad Hard Drive or RAM stick(s). Did the TOM computer come with W10 already installed on it, or did you upgrade it from an earlier version such as W7/W8x. If so, and that computer is more than 3 years old, it's highly likely the hard drive is failing on it, and needs to be tested. You can use my free TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDE here to test it: Windows 10 - Unclickable Task Bar

Before you attempt any kind of advanced Hard Drive testing or virus/malware scanning and removal, we always recommend that you FIRST BACKUP ALL OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA TO EXTERNAL MEDIA! THIS WOULD INCLUDE YOUR LIBRARY FOLDERS FOR DOCUMENTS, PHOTOS, MUSIC, VIDEOS, AND ANY SAVED E-MAILS OR ATTACHMENTS IN ORDER TO AVOID IRRETRIEVABLE DATA LOSS!!!.
Have you done this yet? If not, make certain to backup your data before proceeding.

You can do virus/malware scanning with whatever your built in AV program is such as Windows Defender (built into W10), Norton, Avast, McAfee, etc. Scan/remove all viruses found. Then visit piriform.com and download the free MALWAREBYTES antispyware. Scan/remove for spyware viruses. Reboot your computer and retest your TOM computer with your other networked computers. If the problem abates, your TOM machine had viruses/malware that attacks sharing files in windows and you're all set to go!:up:

If the problem persists after the virus/malware removal; it's very likely you have a hardware failure as mentioned above and you can then use my GUIDE above to test your Hardware. If errors are returned you must replace any failed hardware. From there you can go to the software repair section of my GUIDE, and perform either a Windows Reset or Reinstallation from Factory RECOVERY MEDIA to restore your W10 on the existing drive *if RAM sticks were replaced*, or perform a W10 Reinstallation on a new Hard Drive. This should take care of the problem.

Let us know how you get on.
Best of luck,:clover:
<<BIGBEARJEDI>>

Thanks for the advice,
I do have a homegroup, but i have been unable to share the public folders using the homegroup. Is this possible or would i have to transfer everything to my libraries
The computer TOM is just over a year and a half old. It came with Win 7 and updated it to 10 this past spring. The problem has been an ongoing issue, even when I had Win 7 on it.

You're welcome. Public folders are automatically shared by Windows networking. Both virus/malware problems and hardware failures could easily follow from the upgrade from W7 you did to W10. The way to fix that would be to backup all your data to external media as suggested in Post #2. Then perform Clean Install of W10. You can create bootable media for free from here: Download Windows 10
The process of doing a Clean Install will remove any lurking viruses, especially ones that hide in your hidden disk drive partitions such as Rootkits and Bootkits. Just make sure to select the FORMAT option on the data partition. Do not delete the System Recovery partition unless you have already used the Create Recover Media option to create factory Recovery Media (DVD or USB). You can use the free Rootkit Buster from TrendMicro.com to check for Rootkits/Bootkits without having to wipe out your Recovery Partition.

It's also likely that you have a hardware failure, either the Hard Drive or RAM stick(s) and therefore you must test your hardware with the link I gave you above to my TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDE. If you had difficulty sharing the Public Folder with your other network computers on W7 before the upgrade, it's very possible the same problem occurred again with W10 as that upgrade did not wipe the hard drive partition in most cases, and the problem would have followed over to the W10 post-upgrade. That's because upgrading a Windows OS will not fix a problem with system files, especially windows networking files. However, a Clean Install of the OS (W10) will fix that problem.:fdance: The exception is that if you have a faulty hard drive, as no software on the planet can fix broken hardware!!:noway:

You yourself indicated that it's the only computer out of 7 computers with this problem. Right there that suggests to me that it had a problem from the time you bought it. And the fact that Win7 computers are going to be 8 years old this year. If you've owned that computer since it was new (2009), and NEVER replaced the Hard Drive in it or paid someone to do that, it's highly likely that's it is failing or failed as modern computer hard drives are not designed to last more than 3 years of age before they fail and need to be replaced!:eek: If you purchased this computer used or refurbished, it's likely the seller never replaced the hard drive, or worse a lot of online sellers these days use refurbished hard drives in their computer with tens of thousands of hours on them, but advertise them as being refurbished as *New*. You need to read the fine print there if you buy that way.:andwhat:

You'd be surprised how many older computers appear to have networking problems, when they really have failing hardware problems that produce symptoms that look like software problems but really are not. :headache: Again, even if you don't believe me, you should consider what I've said. If you don't have the time or patience to do thorough hardware testing, you could pay a Tech to do that for you. If he finds nothing wrong, you can then apply the software repairs I've suggested and have a high probability of resolving the issue.

Best,:clover:
<<BBJ>>

You'd be better off building or setting up a premade NAS, some routers also have the option of adding a usb harddrive and sharing it out as a NAS. Much simpler to setup and manage.

You're welcome. Public folders are automatically shared by Windows networking. Both virus/malware problems and hardware failures could easily follow from the upgrade from W7 you did to W10. The way to fix that would be to backup all your data to external media as suggested in Post #2. Then perform Clean Install of W10. You can create bootable media for free from here: Download Windows 10
The process of doing a Clean Install will remove any lurking viruses, especially ones that hide in your hidden disk drive partitions such as Rootkits and Bootkits. Just make sure to select the FORMAT option on the data partition. Do not delete the System Recovery partition unless you have already used the Create Recover Media option to create factory Recovery Media (DVD or USB). You can use the free Rootkit Buster from TrendMicro.com to check for Rootkits/Bootkits without having to wipe out your Recovery Partition.

It's also likely that you have a hardware failure, either the Hard Drive or RAM stick(s) and therefore you must test your hardware with the link I gave you above to my TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDE. If you had difficulty sharing the Public Folder with your other network computers on W7 before the upgrade, it's very possible the same problem occurred again with W10 as that upgrade did not wipe the hard drive partition in most cases, and the problem would have followed over to the W10 post-upgrade. That's because upgrading a Windows OS will not fix a problem with system files, especially windows networking files. However, a Clean Install of the OS (W10) will fix that problem.:fdance: The exception is that if you have a faulty hard drive, as no software on the planet can fix broken hardware!!:noway:

You yourself indicated that it's the only computer out of 7 computers with this problem. Right there that suggests to me that it had a problem from the time you bought it. And the fact that Win7 computers are going to be 8 years old this year. If you've owned that computer since it was new (2009), and NEVER replaced the Hard Drive in it or paid someone to do that, it's highly likely that's it is failing or failed as modern computer hard drives are not designed to last more than 3 years of age before they fail and need to be replaced!:eek: If you purchased this computer used or refurbished, it's likely the seller never replaced the hard drive, or worse a lot of online sellers these days use refurbished hard drives in their computer with tens of thousands of hours on them, but advertise them as being refurbished as *New*. You need to read the fine print there if you buy that way.:andwhat:

You'd be surprised how many older computers appear to have networking problems, when they really have failing hardware problems that produce symptoms that look like software problems but really are not. :headache: Again, even if you don't believe me, you should consider what I've said. If you don't have the time or patience to do thorough hardware testing, you could pay a Tech to do that for you. If he finds nothing wrong, you can then apply the software repairs I've suggested and have a high probability of resolving the issue.

Best,:clover:
<<BBJ>>

Thanks for the input, Is there any possible solutions that are be overlooked? It feels like we are just jumping to the worst possible scenario.
As you noted, TOM can share/see everything in the public folders of MAIN, I just cant get full control over the folders. Also TOM has access and full control of the public documents on other computers in the network, the only problem is in communicating with MAIN.

I do understand what your saying, and i think you know more then me :) but as I had previously stated this computer is only about a year and half old. and it was bought new, the hard drive was not refurbished. I guess it is still possible that my hard drive is faulty but right now im searching for a more simple solution, just because it is a new computer.

Thanks for the input, Is there any possible solutions that are be overlooked? It feels like we are just jumping to the worst possible scenario.
As you noted, TOM can share/see everything in the public folders of MAIN, I just cant get full control over the folders. Also TOM has access and full control of the public documents on other computers in the network, the only problem is in communicating with MAIN.

I do understand what your saying, and i think you know more then me :) but as I had previously stated this computer is only about a year and half old. and it was bought new, the hard drive was not refurbished. I guess it is still possible that my hard drive is faulty but right now im searching for a more simple solution, just because it is a new computer.

First off I need to know, your not on a domain or a server?

If not, then as you stated is a permission issue.

What you need to do is that you need to give TOM full rights to the shared network folder.
Or, you can even give everyone the full right to the network folder.

Right click on the folder -> sharing -> advanced sharing -> permissions

let me know if I did misunderstand you.

Back
Top Bottom