Windows 7 Persistant Corrupt and Unreadable file. Run Chkdsk.

circaD

Hi, I have been getting the little popup blip from the taskbar saying it has found a file or folder that was "Corrupt and unreadable, please run chkdsk".
I have run chksdk /f /r from the recovery console and windows and it finds and fixes corrupt or incorrect files.
On the next boot I can scan the file trees and the blip will pop up again saying the same thing but a different file or folder.

I figured my windows install was corrupting so I did and in-place upgrade hoping that would fix it, it did not. I have also tried sfc but it doesn't finds any errors.

The files are un openable and chkdsk does fix them.

My computer runs pretty bare so there isn't anything writing or reading at these files unless I am directly accessing them, the popup only occurs when I run something that tries to access them.

What would be causing my files to constantly corrupt like this?

Thanks!

64bit win7

Run Malwarebytes… then, revisit the question. Does it make no difference if it isn't chkdsk /r /f?

Install & run CCleaner
and
Do this:
> cmd, Run as Admin
type or paste in %SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr
/sageset:65535 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:65535 , hit Enter
Hit OK on the window that appears, after checking all boxes the 1st time this is run...they stay checked when it is run subsequent times

Cheers,
Drew

Run Malwarebytes… then, revisit the question. Does it make no difference if it isn't chkdsk /r /f?

Install & run CCleaner
and
Do this:
> cmd, Run as Admin
type or paste in %SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr
/sageset:65535 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:65535 , hit Enter
Hit OK on the window that appears, after checking all boxes the 1st time this is run...they stay checked when it is run subsequent times

Cheers,
Drew

I have already scanned for malware and viruses.
Is that why you asked to try Malwarebytes?

Is the CCLeaner command all 1 line? ie after /c Cleanmgr comes /sageset?
or are they seperate options that go after Cmd.exe?

I ran these:
Code:
%SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr
%SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sageset:65535 
%SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sagerun:65535

and there weren't any files to clean.

Is this problem with junk files building up?

This problem's cause eludes me.

thanks for the reply.

Last edited:
System Restore & the MS Fix-it Tool, maybe. Between what you've done, what I've suggested & what we both know... ummm. If you can't get to the bottom of it, last resort, rebuild.

What I gave you is both parts in one (1) command line.
And that is Disc Clean-up. It is not CCleaner… you should install & run CCleaner Redirecting...

If you suspect an infection run your AV and MBAM from safe mode sometimes that works better,
Joe

Back