Windows 7 picture icons don't show preview of picture

resham8

I saved my important photos in a folder.But accidently I deleted that folder permanently from recycle bin...
2 weeks later i retrieved that folder using undelete software....but now in that folder,all the pictures display with the same default icon (picture of a lake with mountain and blue sky) instead of a preview of my pictures.
And when I open these pictures, Windows Photo Viewer shows message 'Windows Photo Viewer can't open this picture because either Photo Viewer doesn't support this file format, or you don't have the latest updates to Photo Viewer'...and all these images have .jpeg format..
Is there any way i can get this problem fixed..???

Thanks,
---
Resham

Hi

The pictures may have been damages by the delete and recover process, do you have some other graphic program that you can try and open them in? Try Windows Paint if you don't have Photoshop or something like that.

Also try and save them in a different format in Windows Paint and see if it will do it i.e. save them as a .bmp file.
And if it will see if it makes any difference when you open them.

Mike

i tried opening it in photoshop...but it showed..'could not open fkdhsd.jpg because an unknown or invalid JPEG marker type is found'...
and i also tried opening it in paint,but it also showed 'this is not valid bitmap file or its format is not supported'...

I have exactly the same problem. which suddenly started after a system crash and is especially infuriating with image files as one can't see what the picture is without opening it.

The picture files all open correctly with any of the graphic programs including preview.

The options in folder properties etc all seem OK.

Any ideas welcome

Hi

Make sure that in the folder view menu that the always show icons never thumbnails isn't checked.

View Menu.JPG

This may have gotten changed after the crash if you did some kind of restore.

Mike

This problem is actually on a friend's machine. He is elderly and not that savvy with computers. He told me it was a crash but it was really a "Not genuine" problem with his Windows 7 system (despite buying through Amazon - although he did get his money back) so bought new from Microsoft. After following the instructions he got back to having a genuine version after entering the new ID code provided by Microsoft.

I did a lot of checks but couldn't find the source of the problem. Hence this post.

Any new image files can be stored and accessed (From email attachments foe example) but all come up with default icon pictures. (A different picture for each file type)

So, he didn't have any problems with the non-genuine version but does with a legit version!!!

I'm thinking that perhaps a complete re-installation may be the the only way out.

Any ideas?

Dave

Check folder Properties, Customize and see if it's set to handle contents as Pictures if you aren't getting thumbnails in folders.
As for the e-mail it may be in e-mail settings but it would depend on what e-mail client you are using.

I could't find anything that would do that in Thunderbird, though I have to tell it to show then images each time I open a message, it does give me a place to click and say I want to show them.

Last edited:
It happened to me. I did not just delete a folder (I was unmindful of what I was doing back then) but an entire partition where my photos are. I used MiniTool Power Data Recovery. I was able to retrieve everything like nothing happened. Not only retrieved the files but all of the individual folders on that partition each containing the same exact files where they are supposed to be. As I said, got them back as if nothing happened.

Last edited:
Back