Windows 7 Pin to taskbar problen

Zyyk

My problem can be best described by scrnshot:

prob.png

I have google chrome pinned to the taskbar (as can be seen by the 'Unpin this program .....' on the pop up menu).

However, when I click to launch it, a new chrome icon pops up.
I have just formatted my pc and I didnt encounter this problem with chrome before, or any other application for that.

Any idea on how to fix it ?

What effect does pinning the new icon and unpinning the old icon have?

I've had this happen before but I can't remember what I did to correct it.

Nothing ! If i unpin the old, and keep the new one, I get just the one icon that represents the open window.
But closing the program and reopening it would give me yet another new icon !!

You may need to navigate to Chrome's program folder and right click on the programs exe file. Pin to taskbar from the right click context menu.

I'm not using Chrome or I could give you the default location for Chrome's program folder.

I had tried that, but it still didnt work :/
I also tried unistalling chrome and reinstalling, but still ...

Hello Zyyk,
2a99y0o.jpg
to Windows 7 Forums,

Try this; With Chrome closed, unpin both icons in the Taskbar, next delete the Desktop shortcut to Chrome.
Click the Start Orb, then All Programs, click on the Google Chrome folder, then click on the Chrome icon to open it, right click the new icon in the Taskbar to pin it, then drag it to the left so it's next to the Start Orb.

See if that works and let us know
Don

It worked .... the first time.
But I closed chrome, and reopened just to be certain, and sure enough, new icon -.-

And Thanks for the welcome :D

It worked .... the first time.
But I closed chrome, and reopened just to be certain, and sure enough, new icon -.-

And Thanks for the welcome :D

I've done a little search and it seems this is an ongoing issue, starting back in 2009.
Try doing it this way, with Chrome open this time, unpin both icons if 2 are showing, then repin the one that represents the open window.
Also, try Troubles advice.

Let us know the outcome

Don

I've done a little search and it seems this is an ongoing issue, starting back in 2009.
Try doing it this way, with Chrome open this time, unpin both icons if 2 are showing, then repin the one that represents the open window.
Also, try Troubles advice.

Let us know the outcome

Don

I had tried that, and any other cominbation of pinning and unpinning, yet the problem persists :(

Download the "alternate installer for all user accounts" version from here Alternate (offline) Google Chrome installer (Windows) - Google Chrome Help to a folder of your choosing on your computer.
Uninstall Chrome
Reboot your computer
Run the installer you downloaded above from the folder where you saved it.
Good Luck
Randy

I will reboot now to try this method, and will post the result. Thanks :)

didn't work :F The latest offline installer seems to be giving everyone (including me) a hard time, bitching about an installation error 0x80070057. An Google isnt giving links to older installers.

So im just going to either have to wait until Google fixes the installer, or revert back to my old friend Opera to avoid this taskbar issue.

Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble and that I couldn't help.
Just 3 or 4 days ago I started using Chrome, again, as Firefox, which I've been using for many years, seemed to be crashing quite a bit.
Not to put salt on an open wound, but, I don't see or have the issue you're having, Chrome is running extremely good.

Again, sorry my suggestions didn't work out for you,

Don

I've actually never encountered this before, and I've been using chrome ever since it came out as chromium.
Maybe my latest format + installation of win 7 was not 100% successful ...

Anyway, thank you all for your help and suggestions.
Its just an extra useless icon on the taskbar :p I will learn to live with it

I have another suggestion,

Right click the pinned icon (original), select "Properties", then select the "Compatibility" tab, then check "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and select Vista, then click "Apply", then "OK"

You could also try this;

With Chrome open, click on the wrench in the upper right hand corner, then click on "About Google Chrome". This will update to the latest version. Once the latest installed version is confirmed, unpin it, then pin it again.

Other than that, I'm pretty much out of ideas and I was unable to duplicate the issue on my machine.
I will keep looking to see if anything else comes along.

Let us know if that helped
Don

I checked my chrome and it is up to date.

As for your first suggestion ... every compability mode other than Win 7 fixes the problem, but chrome doesn't load any pages. They just remain blank, with a greyish color.

I've also noticed that whenever I unpin and pin it back, the first time i launch it, it doesnt generate the second icon.

When I launch it the second time, it doesnt launch ... and the third time is when the second icon is created.

This is somewhat wierd. Never seen this type of behaviour before :/

Back