Windows 7 PLEASE HELP!! can't open DOC file

stasko12

Please please please I hope someone can help me. I have a new computer for work and it runs on WIndows 7. I also had to upgrade to WIndows Livemail from Express. This is the problem I am encountering.

When a co-worker sends me an attachemtn it is on there computer as a Word document. Once I receive it, it is no longer a word documnet but a DOC file and my computer will not allow me to open it no matter what I try.

The error message i get states:

C:\users\myname\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\temporary internet files\content.IE5\BXMV72R1\thefilename.doc is not a valid Win32 application

I have no idea what to do! I am not good with computers so this is making things very difficult!!!:confused:

Save it to your desktop.

In the temporary Internet files only fragments are left not the entire file.

If I try that it say
C;\users\myname\desktop\filename.doc is not a valid Win32 application.

If it states that it'says like, ;the error message that you would get by running a n old 16-bit application

Remember save it to you desktop

Ask the sender how he's attaching the file

Is he using Word to create it and what file expression is he using.

Also,why is the file i]ending up the temporary Internet files files directory

If you're using 2007,you need to change the drop-down menu to ,doc

Last edited:
I think I may have ran into this before. Is it possible that the document you were sent was an old Word 97 document? I should have been more clear earlier.

MS Office service pack blocks old file formats from opening. I found a registry import that corrects this in XP but I am hesitant to upload it here because I don't know how Win7 would react to it. If this is your problem then you may want to jump on Google and search for a fix for that works with Office 07 and Win7.

Here's a link i found on the issue:
http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2008/01/office-sp3-block-those-old-risky-files.ars

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom