Windows XP please I need help!! xp professional sp3

hasanmakki

So I had this autorun virus that blocked some programs from oppening that I desperately need for work,
I downloaded auturonremover but it didn't help, tried uninstalling it, didn't uninstall properly
Delete it
The uninstalled it, showed me that it was deleted remove it from add or delete programs, I did it...
After I downloaded kaspersky virus remover
Started removing and disinfecting, computer restarted
After putting username an logging in
Only the desktop appears, no task bar no desktop Icons, plus I recieve a run.dll error and an mdm.dll error
I can open task manager regedit and msconfig, but I can't open c:\ can't access anything

Try system restore, to restore the PC to a time before you incurred the virus. Then run your AV and Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, Spybot S&D, and Ccleaner

Already tried system restore, gives me an error as well, safe mod boots and reaches the same level as normal mode, after username only

sounds like perhaps some removal process might have gotten a little over zealous as can happen sometimes and the results are often confounding.
When you arrive at would normally be your desktop just to see if something might have happened to explorer.
Hit Ctrl + Alt + Delete
See if you have an option to launch Task Manager, if so go ahead and launch it and the go up to file,
I think it's new file run or something like that and then type
explorer.exe
and hit enter or click ok and see what happens

run task manager again and type
C:\
and hit enter or click OK
browse to your Windows folder and see if there is a copy of explorer.exe there.
Double click it.

Sorry I missed that.
I guess your best bet, if you have the means to do so, is to get that drive out of that machine and connect it to another machine with either a USB Dock system or a USB cabling interface and see what is on it.
That will also give you the opportunity to back up any critical data as well as hit it some more with virus and malware scanners, check disk, defrag, etc., etc.

I have often said to clients... maybe one can rid a machine of nasties (after the fact) but, not the damage they did.

XP is history, anyway. Get a more modern system going & then install XP as a VM if you have imperative software that will only run on it.

XP is now more susceptible to problems than it ever was. And yours sounds like it is well beyond help. One would hope you have install media for those old programs. I wouldn't pull much from it as you may bring the bad stuff along for the ride; who knows where or how deeply it is embedded.

Cheers,
Drew
thR0V6M5GG2.jpg

Attachments

• Windows 10OS.jpg
    Windows 10OS.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 394
Agree with Drew.

To be safe, you should wipe the disk(s) clean, either by deleting all partitions > then partitioning anew, or, using a zero format program that writes the disk full with zeros, thus bringing it back to... zero, clean state ~factory state. After that you must partition, in order to be able to use it.

If you only upgrade your Windows, there is a high risk that the old problems follow. An upgrade or reinstallation doesn't remove security risks. And XP is obsolete.

When you do, and this is actually a must, create separate partitions for Windows and your personal files. That way you can reinstall Windows without need to mess with your own stuff - don't have all eggs in one basket.

Last edited:
And, yes, to that, as well. Whenever I build computers for clients, standard (best) practice is to give them, @ least 2 partitions or drives... 1 for the OS & one for Data. Thus, if the OS has to be redone, Data does not need to be a concern or @ risk... its lacation remains unaffected.

Cheers,
Drew
Windows 10OS.jpg

PS: Absolutely obsolete! We have been advising people to get off XP for a long time. The time for any further discussion on that matter is over and any time spent discussing continuing to ride the dinasaur or clinging to its back is futile.

Get your point with the PS. I actually agree. Should we just skip support, with something like a notice that XP is out and will not be supported.

I find it stupid to try to fix that OS, because it will never again work - unless in totally private surroundings.

Last edited:
Get your point with the PS. I actually agree. Should we just skip support, with something like a notice that XP is out and will not be supported.

I find it stupid to try to fix that OS, because it will never again work - unless in totally private surroundings.

Agreed. If a client contacts me regarding XP I will not let he or she waste their money paying me to work on it.

Cheers,
Drew
Windows 10OS.jpg

Sorry, Hasan, I have to agree with the rest of these folks. XP is WAY past it's use-by date, is no longer supported by Microsoft or anyone else. Because of that, the bad guys have an essentially open field to infect your machine with no possibility of Microsoft correcting the problems they exploit.

Bottom line:
1. Remove the drive from your system and plug it into a Windows 7 or 8.1 system and allow Defender to scan it.

2. On that system, copy off any and all necessary data files that you need to preserve, preferably to a second drive.

3. Once that's done, wipe that disk clean using DODWipe or 0-Format or any utility that will overwrite the drive multiple times with either random characters or 0's. DO NOT USE any media written by the original XP system. It's probably contaminated and will pass that on to the new system.

4. If you must have XP available, then do a clean install of Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate and obtain a copy of "Windows XP Mode" software. This is a full, licensed copy of XP Pro and a virtualizing environment. It's (I think still) available from Microsoft free to purchasers of Pro or Ultimate. AFAIK, XP Mode IS NOT compatible with Windows 8.1, although it might be. I've seen articles where that has been done. Google search for Windows XP Mode and go to the Microsoft site. (sorry this forum doesn't allow newbs to post links).

Lotta blather about "End-Of-Support" for XP, but that's to be expected.

Also, I would NOT recommend enabling XP Mode to access the internet (same contamination problem); this can be disabled in the XP Control Panel. Use the host OS to do that and make the files available to XP in a special folder.

5. I would recommend a second drive, not just a partition, for all data, as a separate drive D. This is an opportunity to use an SSD as the boot device instead of a whirlydisk. The performance gain is astounding. My Windows 7 bootup time went from two and a half minutes to slightly under 24 seconds. Since few, if any, executable files will exist on the data drive, it's unlikely to get contaminated. It's also much easier to back up.

Quite nice, and I agree. But I wouldn't name the data disk as D, at least not if you happen to have older games or software on CD. They quite often demand D to function. So D is better to reserve for primary CD / DVD drive. I use E for secondary DVD, and H, K, and M for external backup disk, and others.

Pauli:
That might be true, but I've found that, if you copy the entire game disk to the data drive, then install the game from the copy, that it runs fine from where it is, WITHOUT needing to have the disk in a drive. Most disks can be copied to a folder, but I found one that needed to be in the root of the drive. Didn't matter which drive.

Based on that, my boot drive is C, the data disk is D, the first DVD drive is Y and the second is Z. Everything else falls in the middle.

Back