Windows 8 Pointer Movement (or lack thereof)

Colonel Biggs

Having used laptops for too many years, I almost hate to make this post. I have a relatively new Toshiba laptop with Windows 8.1 (64-bit) installed, but I have always preferred to use a mouse when moving about the screen. Recently, for fun, I chanced to try using the built-in pad instead. The pointer movement was limited at best, and when it moved to the side of the screen, it never returned. It's almost as if something has to be activated.

Sorry for such a trivial post!

Gordon
Houston, Texas

Hi Gordon,
can you post the actual Toshiba model you have.
Thanks.. :)

I'm with you Gordon, I hate and never use if possible the built in touch pad of a laptop and use a small laptop mouse made by Logitech (M315). It could be, even though it's a relatively new laptop, needing the touch pad driver to be updated.

I'm with you Gordon, I hate and never use if possible the built in touch pad of a laptop and use a small laptop mouse made by Logitech (M315). It could be, even though it's a relatively new laptop, needing the touch pad driver to be updated.

I bought the laptop last fall, and the touch pad didn't work then. But, since I don't use the pad, I didn't give it much thought. It must be the challenge of getting something to work! (or, getting me to "work.")

Did you by it brand new or second hand? If brand new I would have taken it back for a replacement. I suspect that it maybe a cable connection that is loose or not fully seated. If you feel froggy, open it up and have a look/go inside and see what you find.

Did you by it brand new or second hand? If brand new I would have taken it back for a replacement. I suspect that it maybe a cable connection that is loose or not fully seated. If you feel froggy, open it up and have a look/go inside and see what you find.

It is still under warranty. I might inquire at the store. I was hoping that the fix might be simpler.

I know nothing avbout Toshiba's. But have you looked at their forum here:
http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Keyboa...ellite-L650D-Touchpad-Not-working/td-p/152612
Quite a few useful suggestions there, regarding the touchpad problems.

So far - no luck. I am using Windows 8.1, but I can't say that that is causing the problem. Before I log in, after booting up initially, I do have some mouse movement, although a bit erratic. Once logged in, however, forget it.

I'll report back when I get to the bottom of this. Thanks for your post.

G

Back