Windows 10 Port forwarding help

Try Googling it;;) you normally do that with your Router and in most makes/models you must use a hard-line connection (Ethernet) to the router with a PC or laptop to access the Router's Admin utility. If you've never done that, there are tons of YouTube videos, and sometimes even a video for your exact make/model router. If you can provide us with your router make/model we can help you locate the User Guide for your router and give you link to download. Full instructions for access the Admin utility of the router are there, as well as how to turn on Port Forwarding and enabling/disabling specific ports on your router.

Best,:encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Port forwarding is usually done by your modem/router.

Ports are used with an IP address (like 123.123.123.123), each of these ports is a 'port' to a specific function or application on your computer. There are standard port numbers, see: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\protocol.
The firewall blocks the ports you don't use.
Some programs, especially games use non-standard port numbers. The requests on these ports must be passed on from your modem to your computer and reverse. Therefor your modem must be configured, you must enter them in a port forwarding list in your modem.
So I suspect you have to log in into your modem and look there. It is not that difficult.

Hope this explains it,
Henk

Last edited:
  • Log into your router and locate the port forwarding section (will vary by router make model)
  • Pick an external port you want to forward to your target port and system, doesn't need to be target port
  • Based on the router you can pick TCP, UDP or both types of traffic in 1 rule or you may need to make separate rules if the router doesn't have a 'both' option
  • Specify the internal host ip the traffic will route to and the port it needs to translate to
Other items to consider
Most people don't have static IP addresses, so you may want to research using a dynamic DNS service so you can reach the host by DNS name rather than keeping track of your external IP address which can change.

Try Googling it;;) you normally do that with your Router and in most makes/models you must use a hard-line connection (Ethernet) to the router with a PC or laptop to access the Router's Admin utility. If you've never done that, there are tons of YouTube videos, and sometimes even a video for your exact make/model router. If you can provide us with your router make/model we can help you locate the User Guide for your router and give you link to download. Full instructions for access the Admin utility of the router are there, as well as how to turn on Port Forwarding and enabling/disabling specific ports on your router.

Best,:encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>
ISP teached me how to do it but still not succeeded. My router is Arris TG862S/CE, IP was static 192.168.0.1 but disables connection when i make it static, the port i want to forward
is 52499 and is Bittorrent torrent downloading application port.

Port forwarding only comes into play when you want to connect to a system on your local network from the internet. 192.168.0.1 is a local address and doesn't come into play during forwarding. Any traffic that is initiated from in your local network doesn't require forwarding rules.

Could you show us what your ISP told you?

Your computer has an IP 192.168.0.XXX.
The inside IP address of your router is 192.168.0.1, the outside IP address is one your ISP gave it
Outside calls from your computer to your bittorrent are send to 192.168.0.1, your router, your router will pass them through.
The replies from your bittorrent are sent to the outside IP address of your router, the router on its turn passes it on to your computer with the 192 IP. As you see in the router IP addresses are switched.

In the port forwarding table in router you must set port 52499 on the outside to the inside port and IP of your download app on your computer, i think for UDP
The problem is that your computer gets it IP address on power-up from the router and that it may vary, but in the port forwarding table you must specify a fixed static IP. The way out is to define in the network adapter settings of your computer a fixed, static IP for your computer, something in the range from 192.168.0.2 to say 192.168.0.200, but NOT 192.168.0.1 because that one is used by the router itself.

Hope it helps

Could you show us what your ISP told you?

Your computer has an IP 192.168.0.XXX.
The inside IP address of your router is 192.168.0.1, the outside IP address is one your ISP gave it
Outside calls from your computer to your bittorrent are send to 192.168.0.1, your router, your router will pass them through.
The replies from your bittorrent are sent to the outside IP address of your router, the router on its turn passes it on to your computer with the 192 IP. As you see in the router IP addresses are switched.

In the port forwarding table in router you must set port 52499 on the outside to the inside port and IP of your download app on your computer, i think for UDP
The problem is that your computer gets it IP address on power-up from the router and that it may vary, but in the port forwarding table you must specify a fixed static IP. The way out is to define in the network adapter settings of your computer a fixed, static IP for your computer, something in the range from 192.168.0.2 to say 192.168.0.200, but NOT 192.168.0.1 because that one is used by the router itself.

Hope it helps
My ISP told me to log in to router webpage, select 'Firewall', then 'Virtual servers' and add 192.168.0.1 and then put the Bitorrent port number (52499) but still some torrents they can't be downloaded.

Back
Top Bottom