Windows 7 POST stalls at USB drive

don6558

I've done a search for issue and found none.

I have a 2 Terabyte Seagate USB drive. When I try to boot with this USB drive connected to computer the POST hangs. Once I remove the USB drive the system boots as normal.

My system also has a USB RF Transceiver for the keyboard and mouse. It causes no problem though just the drive. Very frustrating.

All drivers are up to date.

Any ideas would be appreciated

check the partition on the usb drive. make sure it is designated "basic" and not "active"..........................

More info about you system might help. For instance, it was discovered, secondary drives partitioned in certain ways would mess up a UEFI boot.

Does the drive work normally if connected after the boot?

It might be the boot order in the BIOS. Over at WD forum a frequent fix is have DVD/CD drive first then main HD.
Joe

1st. Thanks to all who replied.
Yes drive works normally when connected after boot. I'm not using this drive to boot from though. I don't understand how UEFI could be a problem though. Could you please explain your thought process with this idea?

More info about you system might help. For instance, it was discovered, secondary drives partitioned in certain ways would mess up a UEFI boot.

Does the drive work normally if connected after the boot?

I thought boot order as well however, when booting there is no USB boot option to set. When USB drive is connected I never get to the BIOS. The DVD Auto detects, then the SATA Drives (I have 1 OS drive which is a 356 gig and a 3 Terabyte data HD that is formated and recognized a 2 smaller drives) and that is as far as it gets because it hangs on the Device:0. (I presume it's the USB drive because all works well when connected after boot.)

It might be the boot order in the BIOS. Over at WD forum a frequent fix is have DVD/CD drive first then main HD.
Joe

Yes drive works normally when connected after boot. I don't understand how UEFI could be a problem though. Could you please explain your thought process with this idea?
First, are you using UEFI for your system, or a MBR (Legacy) boot?

If you are booting UEFI and have a secondary drive, internal or external, that has an extended/logical partition, it will prevent a UEFI system from booting.

Not many folks are yet using UEFI. If you don't know, open Disk Management and look for a partition that says EFI System Partition.

If it isn't the UEFI, perhaps it is related to the 3 TB drive configuration.

I thought boot order as well however, when booting there is no USB boot option to set. When USB drive is connected I never get to the BIOS. The DVD Auto detects, then the SATA Drives (I have 1 OS drive which is a 356 gig and a 3 Terabyte data HD that is formated and recognized a 2 smaller drives) and that is as far as it gets because it hangs on the Device:0. (I presume it's the USB drive because all works well when connected after boot.)
The fact that there is no USB boot option is disturbing, and the fact that you don't get to BIOS when USB is connected is quite alarming. It's a sign of something going wrong. I would suggest you clear CMOS, that would bring you back to ground zero. You might also concern re-installing or updating your motherboard drivers, viz. USB ones. As well as updating your BIOS - it may be corrupt.

Unfortunately it's also possible that you have a hardware issue = USB doesn't work.

Is this a new problem, appeared lately with an otherwise well functioning computer, or is this something that occurred with a new computer?

Best of luck, anyway. :)

Back