Ryzen 1700x
AsRock ab350 ppro 4 motherboard
MSI radeon Rx 480
DeepCool captain 240 ex
EVGA 650 gold PSU
WD blue 1TB HDD
Sandisk SSD
16GB RAM (2x8) GSkills RipJaws
new copy of Win 7 pro.. ISO on thumb drive bootable (done through command prompt method but also had tried it through Rufus) UEFI recognizes the USB and partition, secure boot disabled, USB set to 1st boot option...... I get black screen right after the F2-F11 bios promppt.. need help

Hi,
Where did you get the W7 ISO file from? That's critical to the process since Microsoft has eradicated most sources for W7 ISO files for free on the Internet--so most do not work.:waah: It took me 2 years to get it working. You stated you had new W7 Pro, so what did you use to rip the ISO file from the retail DVD disc? Generally, that method doesn't work as I had tried that too. The copy protection Microsoft has on W7 OS discs is pretty tight. My W7 ISO links no longer appear to work. If you can find one, however, the tools you mentioned didn't work for me. I used the WiNToBootIC USB burner to create my W7 bootable USB sticks. I still carry a couple with me on my keychain.;)

Good luck!:encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

the iso isn't from my disk.. it was pulled by a Microsoft tech i was talking to who used rufus and showed me how to put it on the thumb drive... the ISO works .. i just need to get the computer to read it.. this is for the install.. ill watch that link.... what is VM?

Virtual machine, but if all you're trying to do is install then rufus is fine. You'll probably want to check in BIOS how your computer is configured to boot, either legacy MBR, or UEFI (CSM) then when you create the usb with rufus pick the correct partition scheme. The simple way is to pick the hybrid MBR / UEFI hybrid boot scheme. Then it should work either way.

ok... so I got windows installed using wintoHDD. from there i was able to access a command prompt and run setup from DOS.. it installed ... whew... NOW I am getting hung up on the windows load screen.. where the four colors come together and 'breathe'.... it's not totally frozen because the logo is still 'breathing'..... any suggestions to this new issue?
banghead.gif

Thanks-just noticed you have 2 drives in your build. 1 drive is the SSD and the other drive is an HDD. You should never attempt installing any Windows OS with multiple storage drives plugged into your Mobo ports, that includes USB drives and peripherals such as printers, webcams, NAS, etc. I would also suspect that the ISO file the Tech gave you may not be good. Lots of techs burn stuff either discs or USB sticks to get you out of their hair (unless he's a personal friend or family member!), and they never bother to check their work! :headache: Seen it happen at just about every major computer store chain--especially since I used to train techs for Best Buy & Staples.

First thing I would do is detach all devices plugged into that Mobo except either your SSD or your HDD, whichever you prefer to have your W7 installed on. Reattempt the W7 install. It should now work! :up: Lots of folks whether they are self-builders or OEM users (Dell, HP, Acer) forget about this simple rule, or if they are NOT real tech savvy or went through repair training simply are not aware of it. Neem's suggestions should work once you fix this problem.

If they don't there are 3 likely possibilities:
1.) Whichever drive you are using for your boot drive has failed, and that's why the W7 installation fails. You need to test that bootdrive using the instructions at this link: Hard Drive Diagnostic Procedure and test your drive.
2.) The ISO file the Tech used was corrupted or he burned the USB stick incorrectly, or you did.
3.) The ISO file the Tech used or gave you was OK, but you have 1 or more sticks of failed RAM, so you need to test your RAM sticks using instructions from here: Memory Diagnostics

If no hardware failures are found, or if found you replaced the bad drive or RAM sticks and then got the drive and memory tests to pass, that should produce a fix. If it doesn't, it's possible your BIOS settings have gotten scrambled, and a BIOS backup and reset would then be recommended. However, this is quite High-Risk and if you've never done it before, you are better off paying a licensed Tech to do for you since if you mess it up, it can bork your Mobo and that's a very expensive replacement or repair especially if your Mobo is out of Warranty so the repair is all out of your pocket!:cash:

Let us know how it goes.
Best,
<<<BBJ>>> :cool:

I would out of caution lean on BBJ's advice. For those who are versed with creating USB drives, Rufus would be a good bet if you know how to create an ISO file from a DVD.

But RAGNAROK1968 has much confidence in the BBJ! :D

I'm using Infrarecorder to create my .ISO image. then I'll use RUFUS to create the actual drive. I own a Windows 7 recovery DVD that allows for the installation of ALL the Windows 7 OS'es 32bit and 64bit And I'm using my official Product Key for Home Premium.

Anyway, Windows 7 will eventually be relegated to abandonware once support completely ends if it hasn't already. So I took the time to download ALL critical updates for offline installation/Local installation on my secondary drive

Back
Top Bottom