Windows 10 Prevent Windows 10 from applying updates automatically

Blutarsky

Extraordinary Member
I hate Windows 10 updating and restarting machines automatically, although in "advanced options" I have selected "notify to schedule restart".

Is there a way to stop this?

Hi,
unfortunately we have lost a lot of user control on how updates are applied (as your well aware) and apart from stopping updates altogether you've already done what can be done. At least as far as I'm aware anyway..

I've not used it personally but if it works under win 10 then give it a go..

I'm curious if this will disable automatic updates.
  • Open regedit and navigate to HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows
  • Create a new key called WindowsUpdate
  • Under that create a new key called AU
  • Under that create a new DWORD called NoAutoUpdate and set it to 1
  • Open task scheduler drill down to Microsoft > Windows > Windows Update disable sih and sihboot these are the two tasks that make sure automatic updates are working
Give that a whirl.

So to my last post here. Looks like that does indeed disable automatic updates.
2016-04-12_22-57-33.png

Follow these steps:

1. Open the Registry Editor by pressing Win + R to open a run box. Type in regedit and hit Enter.

2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU
If you don't see the Windows Update or the AU keys, you'll have to create them by following these steps.

2a. Right-click on Windows and go to New > Key
2b. Name the key WindowsUpdate (no space)
2c. Right-click on the WindowsUpdate key and go to New > Key again
2d. Name the new key inside WindowsUpdate AU

3. Open the AU key.

4. Right-click in the right-panel and go to New > DWORD (32-bit) Value

5. Name the new DWORD NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers.

6. Double-click on the DWORD and change the 0 value to 1. Leave it as Hexadecimal.
7. Reboot your computer.

That's it. From now onward you will not receive automatic upgrades.

Hi there,
Even if the above methods work; I haven't tried them on the W10 RTM but did mess with them on the W10 Preview versions you have a bigger problem at hand.o_O

If you completely DISABLE the MS updates from the weekly push into your PC, you are now at risk for viruses/malware including phishing, identity theft, and ransomware. These "holes" in the defensive wall of your W10 system basically downgrade it to a machine that is no longer safe to use for any kind of financial transaction on the web. And don't be fooled by folks telling you that the built-in W10 Defender AV will protect you from all of that. If you're just going to use your PC for online gaming or doing facebook posts all day long, then that solution of permanently disabling your MS updates is going to work for you. Hopefully, if you give that PC away or sell it, you are obligated to disclose that information in this paragraph to the receipient. :ohno:

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Hi there,
Even if the above methods work; I haven't tried them on the W10 RTM but did mess with them on the W10 Preview versions you have a bigger problem at hand.o_O

If you completely DISABLE the MS updates from the weekly push into your PC, you are now at risk for viruses/malware including phishing, identity theft, and ransomware. These "holes" in the defensive wall of your W10 system basically downgrade it to a machine that is no longer safe to use for any kind of financial transaction on the web. And don't be fooled by folks telling you that the built-in W10 Defender AV will protect you from all of that. If you're just going to use your PC for online gaming or doing facebook posts all day long, then that solution of permanently disabling your MS updates is going to work for you. Hopefully, if you give that PC away or sell it, you are obligated to disclose that information in this paragraph to the receipient. :ohno:

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>
just looking to update when I want to, not stop updating

It is really a pain in the 'you know what' when on an airplane and they are preparing to land, and all of a sudden Win 10 is updating and does not want you to turn it off. Gimme a break!

Another way to defer automatic updates and you are using Wi-Fi , search for "Change WiFi settings", click on advanced options and enable the toggle under "metered connections".

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

I really don't know why anyone would want to stop auto updates for Windows 10 unless it's to do something specific. It certainly isn't something we recommend on this forum and to keep your machine safe they should always be enabled.

I agree with Kemical's observation. Problems with updates are, so often, caused by misconfiguration or, in some cases (it shouldn't happen!) incompatible equipment/hardware.
As far as Register hacks are concerned, bear in mind that, whilst they may work, cumulative updates and the fuller, almost upgrades, which sometimes come along, also install a complete new registry. Of course,. if the reg hack prevents the update in the first instance, then the only thing missed will, lol, possible be a Microsoft be bug fixes provided by Microsoft.

having waffled all that, the good news is that Redstone 2, to be released next year, will, as I understand it, be returning to the old update system we know and love so well.

Thanks for posting, that Dave; quite interesting read. :) I also hope they incorporate these changes to desktop and laptop/tablet builds of W10. I still suspect that there are many users who feel that the intrusiveness in W10 updates themselves are never going to be enough for some. Of course these users, are more comfortable using W98 or some version of Windows that pre-dates automatic updates anyway. So, they will never be satisfied.:ohno: Seniors whom I mostly work with simply don't understand the need for regular updates AT ALL. They would be just as happy with DOS or W98 when updates were all installed manually, or that the OS continued to run without the need for updates. But, they just can't wrap their heads around the modern Internet (>1994) and the tremendous threat vault that lives on the Internet these days. They still think that the updates are for "bug-fixes", and seem to ignore the fact that the primary reason today for updates are security-related! No security updates, and no or diminished protection from malware threats. Most of these folks would just as soon get a virus or and pay to get it removed--until I describe the results of completely disabling security updates, and the resulting risk of contracting extremely nasty and expensive to remove RANSOMWARE. Then some, but not all of them wake up and have the light-bulb go on over their heads and realize that yes, it might be a good idea to get updates; occasionally anyway. Some of these folks don't see the need for weekly updates, they are still living in the old paradigm of once a year updates. :headache:

BBJ

Back