Windows 7 Printer networked with Windows 7 and XP computers works only on Windows 7 computer

saphyre

We have a home network with a Netgear router. The Kodak 5100 AiO printer is directly connected to the Windows 7 computer and works fine there. We have been unable to configure the printer and or the XP computer to have the printer work with the XP system. Can anyone help me figure out how to set this up so that the printer works with both computers? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

First check, then double check that both computers (Win7 and WinXP) have the same workgroup name...then
Make sure that the printer is shared on the Win 7 machine
On the XP machine Click Start, Click My Computer, Click My Network Places
In the left pane choose View workgroup computers
Double click the computer (Win7) that is sharing the printer
If prompted for credentials enter
WindowsSevenMachineName\UsernameOnTheWindowsSevenMachine in the username box
and the password for that user in the password box, select / check remember credentials
since the driver for the printer on the Windows 7 machine is not probably compatible for the XP machine you may have to use the install disc that came with the printer or download the driver for xp from the Manufacturer's website inorder to complete the install.

Hi, thanks for your response. I've followed your instructions and when I go into the XP machine to View workgroup computers the Windows 7 computer is not shown. The only icon is one for Home(the name of the XP machine). I've checked and double checked that the workgroup name is the same on both computers. Any advice? Thanks.

OK, here we go;
First make sure you can ping both computers from and to each other by ip address and by name
To determine the ip address of each computer use the ipconfig /all command from a dos prompt, and jot it down, the host name should also be at the top of the result of the ipconfig /all box jot that down to
Now from the XP machine, at a command prompt type ping 192.168.1.nnn (specifically the ip address you have written down)
Then type ping WindowsSevenMachineName (specifically the host name that you have written down)
Let us know the results of these two processes, before we proceed. If you can't ping, at least by IP address, then we are going to have some problems to overcome.

If you are successful in pinging the Win7 machine from the XP machine then you can try adding a network printer.
Click start, setting, printers and faxes
Select add printer then next
Choose second option "Network Printer" then next
Again choose second option "Connect to this printer ........."
and in the name box type \\192.168.1.nnn\PrinterShareName (specifically the ip address of the Win7 machine and the name you gave the printer when you shared it.
Again you will probably be prompted for a username and password ( it helps if you already have an account on the Win7 machine that is identical to the one you are using on the XP machine, otherwise type in the appropriate credentials of a user on the Win7 machine.
Again you will probably have to install the drivers for the printer specifically for XP.
Keep us posted.

thanks again for all your help and the time you are taking. I have a few questions at this point. I have not used a dos prompt since a much earlier version of windows and many years ago. Can you tell me how to get to a dos prompt on both the Windows 7 and XP machines? Also, I am not sure what my user name and password are. I know the computer names for both machines and on the XP machine you need a password to login to windows. I also have the router admin login name and router admin password, though I doubt that is the username and password you are referring to. How can I find out what my username and password are?

You're welcome, glad to do it.
The DOS prompt / Command Prompt, is located by clicking the start orb, then all programs, then accessories, you should see it there. You have a choice to just click it and it will open, or else, and some instances it's required, right clicking it and choosing "Run as Administrator". So if you are attempting to perform a task from the command prompt and receive a message, something to the effect, "Requires Elevated Priviledges" then that's when you need to relaunch it using the RunAs feature.
As far as the username and pass word is concerned these can usually be viewed, added, edited using the users option in the control panel. Again, start orb, select control panel, near the top right hand corner you will see a link called "view by" change it to "small icons" then you should see (their in alphabetical order) something called "User Accounts" there you will see links to change password, change account name, manage another account, etc.
Hope this helps.

Hi. I used the dos prompt on both computers and entered ipconfig/all and the results were: Windows 7 computer: I have an IPv4 address under Wireless Lan Adapter Wireless Network Connection and an IPv4 address under Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection. On the XP machine: I have IP address under Ethernet Adapter Wireless Network Connection and an IP address under Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection. Which addresses do I ping? and as far as pinging, I ping the XP machine from the Windows 7 machine, and I ping the Windows 7 machine from the XP machine, is that right? thanks.

i was able to ping the windows 7 machine from the XP machine using both the ip address and the Windows 7 host name. When pinging the XP machine from the Windows 7 machine, it could not find the host name. not sure which IP address to use (as mentioned in previous post).

You would want to use the IPv4 address for the network adapter that is being utilized presently in your network environment (wired or wireless) so my advice would be to pick one and disable the other for now, multiple devices (multi-homed) may very well just add to any confusion and assuming that you are connected to a common switch or switch ports on a router and not doing any type of internet connection sharing, then one is all you need right now.
You need to interpret the ping results, pretty simple, look for a line indicating something like sent four received four loss zero. Destination host unreachable (in the case of a hostname ping) or a timed out response is not what we want.
Since you say that you can ping the Win7 machine by both IP and hostname and that's the machine hosting the printer, then I would suspect that you can proceed adding a network printer to the XP machine using the technique, I described in post #5 above. You want to go back on the Win7 machine and double check the sharename of the printer, please keep it simple without spaces, for instance, I have a HP Deskjet 990 cxi, on my Win7 machine which I share to my wife's XP machine upstairs, and the share name is hpdj, so when she adds the printer in the name box in post #5 she simply types \\192.168.1.69\hpdj
hope this helps

Thank you so much. I was able to get my printer working! Just wondering if I can follow these instructions to set up my laptop to print from this printer?

The same basic principals apply, so I would guess you would be successful using the same method. If you run into any problems just post back with another question. Good luck
Randy

I'm not having any luck getting my printer to work with my laptop. The laptop has Windows Vista. I have downloaded the drivers for my Kodak 5100 AiO printer. I went into control panel, printers, add a printer. I selected add a network printer. It searched for available printers and did not find any so I selected "the printer that want isn't listed." I have tried both select a shared printer by name (typing in \\Windows7HostName\printername, hit next typed in the printer name (the screen says this printer has been installed with the kodak 5100 AiO driver. hit next, selected print a test page. Got message Printer not responding. Have also tried adding a printer, add a network printer, printer i want isn't listed, selected add a printer using TCP/IP address or hostname. Device is autodetect. I typed ip address, it filled in port name with same as IP address. query the printer and automatically select the driver to use was checked. hit next. (I also tried typing in the hostname of the Windows 7 machine, the host name is the same for both the Windows 7 and the Vista machines, and it did not work either). next screen is additional port information required. the device is not found on the network. (1. the device is turned ono. 2. the network is connected. 3. the device is properly configured. 4. the address on the previous page is correct. If you are sure the address is correct, select the device type below. Standard and generic network card was already checked. hit next. next screen is install the printer driver. select eastman kodak and 5100 AiO printer. which version of the driver do you want to use? use the driver that is currently installed (recommended) was already selected. hit next. typed in printer share name "kaio". hit next. next screen says unable to install printer. another printer or printer share with this name already exists. please use another name for the printer (have tried this several times already, this is the first time this message came up). hit ok. typed in kodak 5100. next screen says you've successfully added kodak 5100, print a test page. next message is network connection error. make sure a firewall is not blocking access to the printer. I don't think i have a firewall as my subscription to Norton on my laptop has expired, but not sure how to check further. also getting printer not responding message. went into control panel, windows security center and it says under firewall that norton internet security reports that it is currently turned on. I went into norton and even though it says it is expired i turned it off. still not printing test page. Any advice?

I stopped reading here
the host name is the same for both the Windows 7 and the Vista machines, and it did not work either
The host name for each node on your network has to be unique. So you need to edit one of them as this may be at least a small part of your problem.
I'll finish reading now, but please start with this issue.

Second thought;
now is a good time to uninstall norton
use the add and remove programs utility from within the control panel then after you've rebooted us the Symantec Proprietary Uninstaller here Link Removed due to 404 Error to get rid of any remnants that may be left over.
Download and install Microsoft Security Essentials from here Link Removed due to 404 Error I've found it to be a decent product and a reasonable substitute for most of the others and best of all it's free.

I don't know how to edit the Host name. I would prefer to edit the name on my Vista machine if you could tell me how to do that. Also, I uninstalled Norton but when I went to the Symantec Proprietary Uninstaller it said that it had expired and would not install. I installed microsoft security essentials but the virus and spyware definitions update failed. clicking on help the message was windows cannot find Link Removed due to 404 Error make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again. I typed that link into the browser and it took me to the same site as the link Link Removed due to 404 Error. I tried to download it again and it said it was already installed. after i find out how to edit the host name I will try the previous instructions to see if i can get the printer working. thanks again.

As far as uninstalling nortons, try this link, scroll down to number 24, select the link that says tool, save it to a folder of your choosing or your desktop and run it.
AV uninstallers.

Just an update. The AV uninstaller link worked. Thanks. Still not able to get the printer working with the laptop. Have tried every variation I could think of in the add a printer function. Have tried using host name (I did successfully change the laptop's host name), ip address. still getting the same error messages and test page will not print. Thanks so much for your help though.

Can you tell us exactly what the error message is that you are getting when you attempt to add the network printer by using the
\\192.168.1.nnn\PrinterShareName (specifically the ipaddress of the Win7 machine hosting the printer and the sharename you gave the printer. The message may help us help you.

Back