Windows 10 problem imaging HDD

Ed1944

I'm trying to make an image of my HDD in my Toshiba L55 laptop. I have a 1TB external drive connected. When the dialogue box asks what type of media I'm using, I select the proper answer (external hard drive). After doing that, the button I'm supposed to select in order to start the process is greyed out. What could be the problem? Thanks in advance for your help.....Ed

The external drive shows up correctly as drive F. The drive has been totally formatted and shows as empty in 'properties'.

At any point does it tell you the size of the backup? I can't see why it'd grey out the proceed button. What backup application is this or is it the built in windows backup?

IIt's Windows own app, the one originally for W7 "Backup & Restore". I didn't see where I was asked what size the backup was, but I would hope a 1 TB drive would be sufficient.

In retrospect, the window showed the capacity of the external drive: just a tiny bit below 1 TB. The only time the proceed button isn't greyed out is if I select the option to backup to the cloud, which I don't want.

Unfortunately, the built-in W10 Backup & Restore app does NOT work reliably in W10. We've done 2 years of testing both here on this forum and 3 others I volunteer on, AND many of us also happen to be Windows Insiders; the folks who help tested W10 from it's Tech Preview days.

Try one of these 3 instead:
1.) Macrium Reflect
2.) Acronis TrueImage
3.) EASUS Todo

I have the Macrium installed on close to 80 computers including about 8 of my own. It's also protecting several Customers who run their businesses on their computers or laptops. I have a very high success rate in restoration; 99% or better assuming the hardware on the machine is not faulty.

Gotta go,
Good luck,:encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

In retrospect, the window showed the capacity of the external drive: just a tiny bit below 1 TB. The only time the proceed button isn't greyed out is if I select the option to backup to the cloud, which I don't want.

Unfortunately, the built-in W10 Backup & Restore app does NOT work reliably in W10. We've done 2 years of testing both here on this forum and 3 others I volunteer on, AND many of us also happen to be Windows Insiders; the folks who help tested W10 from it's Tech Preview days.

Try one of these 3 instead:
1.) Macrium Reflect
2.) Acronis TrueImage
3.) EASUS Todo

I have the Macrium installed on close to 80 computers including about 8 of my own. It's also protecting several Customers who run their businesses on their computers or laptops. I have a very high success rate in restoration; 99% or better assuming the hardware on the machine is not faulty.

Gotta go,
Good luck,:encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Thanks, Big Bear. I'll explore those options you mentioned. BTW, did you know there's an area, including a lake, just outside Los Angeles called "Big Bear"?

You betcha! Glad to help.:up:
And yes, I live in Big Bear valley area in Southern California; bought a place up here 6 years ago to retire in after vacationing here for 30 years and am enjoying it tremendously!:ohyea: I created my username after moving here. I even have a California license plate "BBRJEDI". :D
Here's a photo of our lake:
BigBearLake1.jpg

<<<BBJ>>>

Back
Top Bottom