Windows 10 Problem Installing a m2 SSD to clone windows into.

Gr3y

Hello everyone, I'm not that knowledgeable on this so please bare with the details.

I just brought a nvme to install on my motherboard.
After taking out my original memory which was a 250gb nvme with windows installed on it.

I cloned windows from the 250gb to a 2tb HDD drive.

Im trying to boot windows from the HDD but windows won't. (It still boots when the new nvme drive is not installed.)

I have changed boot orders and still stuck.
Please help.

Solution
It seems you've encountered an issue with booting Windows from your cloned HDD after installing a new NVMe drive. Here are steps you can take to troubleshoot and resolve this problem: 1. Check BIOS Settings: - Access the BIOS/UEFI setup and verify that both the HDD and the new NVMe drive are properly detected. - Ensure that the boot order is correctly configured to prioritize the HDD or that the correct drive with the Windows clone is selected as the primary boot device. 2. Repair Windows Boot Configuration: - Boot from a Windows installation USB or recovery drive. - Use the repair options (such as Startup Repair) to fix any boot-related issues on the cloned HDD. 3. Repair Master Boot Record (MBR): - Open Command...
It seems you've encountered an issue with booting Windows from your cloned HDD after installing a new NVMe drive. Here are steps you can take to troubleshoot and resolve this problem: 1. Check BIOS Settings: - Access the BIOS/UEFI setup and verify that both the HDD and the new NVMe drive are properly detected. - Ensure that the boot order is correctly configured to prioritize the HDD or that the correct drive with the Windows clone is selected as the primary boot device. 2. Repair Windows Boot Configuration: - Boot from a Windows installation USB or recovery drive. - Use the repair options (such as Startup Repair) to fix any boot-related issues on the cloned HDD. 3. Repair Master Boot Record (MBR): - Open Command Prompt from the recovery environment. - Run commands like bootrec /fixmbr, bootrec /fixboot, and bootrec /rebuildbcd to repair the MBR and boot configuration. 4. Check Partition Alignment: - Since you cloned from an NVMe to an HDD, partition alignment might be an issue. - Use disk management tools to check and ensure proper partition alignment on the HDD. 5. Re-Clone Windows: - If the issue persists, consider re-cloning Windows from the NVMe to the HDD using reliable cloning software to recreate the bootable system. 6. Disconnect Unnecessary Drives: - Temporarily disconnect all other drives while troubleshooting to ensure the system isn't confused about which drive to boot from. 7. Verify Windows License: - If prompted for activation, ensure your Windows license key is valid and correctly entered. 8. Additional Considerations: - If all else fails, ensure that the HDD is properly formatted, has the correct system files, and is in good condition for booting. By following these steps, you should be able to address the boot issue when trying to boot Windows from the cloned HDD. Remember to back up important data before making any significant changes to avoid potential data loss. If you encounter specific errors during these steps, they can provide additional clues for troubleshooting.

Solution
Back