Windows 7 problem installing win7 on gigabyte ga-ma78gm-2sh

sgtarky

I might have missed this somewhere so bare with me and I will tell you what I have done so far. I have win 7 x64, which I have installed on my old hp laptop with no problems whatsoever. I have tried several things to get it to work on my gigabyte ga-ma78gm-2sh motherboard. I am using an IDE drive for the os. the dvd and a storage drive is SATA. I have removed the tv tuner, every memory stick, db15 connection and sata in ide mode. the furtherest I get is "starting installation". I have even tried using an ide dvd or usb dvd to install this. I dont get near as far using the IDE dvd and the db15 monitor connection...it is really slow and wont get to install. DVD sata in IDE mode using HDMI output seems to get the furtherest. Am I missing anything? I might try next by removing all sata devices. anything else to try?

Last edited:
I am by no means an authority in this, but your request for assistance does raise some questions. For example, based on your equipment, are you attempting to build an HTPC using Win 7RC? If so, I would suggest not to do that ... at least not yet.

The best way to begin, IMHO, is to keep everything as simple as possible. Do a clean install to the SATA HDD using the SATA ODD, with your BIOS set to boot first from the ODD. Use just 1G or 2G of memory to start (although I did manage to install using 8G when I forgot to remove the extra). Forget about the IDE or PATA stuff for now. Make the installation as simple as possible and get it up and running.

Then, you can start adding other components, one at a time, until your reach the point you want to be at. Remember, this is the RC, but it is still a beta. You might even try the 32-bit RC, just to see if it makes a difference. It probably won't, but this is all testing now anyway.

Good luck. Please let us know how the installation is going, and what else you learned from the process.

thanks for the reply. I have read lots of people having good luck with win7 as HTPC. It is already fully function htpc with vista, win7 will fix a few niggling problems. sorry I want to use the PATA stuff for the os, I already have my movies and recorded shows saved on the sata. however you may be right, it might not work with my PATA hardware...altho my laptop is pata.

Sorry. I should have spelled that out. SATA ODD simply means SATA Optical Disk Drive. I recall coming across an article (but I haven't been able to find it again, yet) that suggested using SATA components only during Win 7 installation to avoid problems, but it may have been for the beta version. I was only suggesting that using more up-to-date technology in the simplest configuration might be the best place to start.

Incidentally, I just completed the build of an HTPC with an ASUS P5Q-EM and E7400 in an Antec Fusion Remote Black case. I am tweaking settings now between the video card, a Sapphire Radeon HD4670 Ultimate (no fan !!!) and the tuner card, an AVerMedia AVerTV Combo PCI-E. I too am looking forward to migrating everything over to Windows 7 eventually.

Maybe you could place your SATA HDD contents in on-line storage and try it that way. If it boots, then move your contents back to the IDE drive.

Good luck, I hope you find an easy solution.

ok, Yeah, I think it will work with a total sata setup. I just decided to see how far it would go with actually installing on the sata drive and it went further, it seemed to be kinda slow tho. Anyway I am trying the trick of installing with out media, but my next plan is buying another 1t sata drive.

man do I feel like a DA, the harddrive is bad. I put it in an ide enclosure, and it said to format it. I remember formating it and putting a bunch of files on it. so I formatted it and copied some more files to it, then transfered those to the htpc, then it said it had to be formatted again.

Back