Windows 7 Problem setting up network between Win 10 & 7

John Clark

Honorable Member
I purchased TP-LINK Archer C7 router to replace my existing router. I'm trying to set up my network again and having problems in doing so. My wife had purchased a HP laptop with Win 10 before I replaced the router and was having intermittent problems then with the network. The win 10 computer seems to have increased the problems with the new router. I'm at wits end, I need to figure out what settings I'm missing to get access between the machines. I have attached screen shots showing the network mapping of each machine and they change with every boot up. Everything is set up to find everything on the network.

The computers "JLCdesktop" and "LCPHOTO" use Win 7, "DESKTOP-3793" uses win 10.

Laptop "LCPHOTO-LT"
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium , Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 450 @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 3956 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 310M , 512 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 102399 MB, Free - 15378 MB; D: Total - 359076 MB, Free - 291650 MB;
Motherboard: SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD., Q430/Q530 , Not Applicable, 123490EN400015

Laptop " DESKTOP-3793"
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 78 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 8101 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 520, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 477048 MB, Free - 411085 MB; D: Total - 10131 MB, Free - 1276 MB; H: Total - 953867 MB, Free - 230089 MB; I: Total - 1907057 MB, Free - 1674982 MB;
Motherboard: HP, 804E
Antivirus: ESET NOD32 Antivirus 9.0.349.0, Updated and Enabled

Desktop "JLCdesktop"
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 30 Stepping 5
Processor Count: 8
RAM: 8183 Mb
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series, 512 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 76216 MB, Free - 4250 MB; D: Total - 1907599 MB, Free - 1854232 MB; E: Total - 953866 MB, Free - 938917 MB; G: Total - 2861575 MB, Free - 2831052 MB; J: Total - 238472 MB, Free - 87296 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P7P55D-E PRO
Antivirus: ESET NOD32 Antivirus 9.0.402.0, Updated and Enabled

This is mapping of "JLCdesktop" that is connected to the router via wall plug Ethernet adaptor (NETGEAR XET1001). As you can see, the desktop can access the hard drive of the laptop "LCPHOTO-LT" but cannot access hard drive of laptop "DESKTOP-3793." Notice that laptop "DESKTOP-3793"cannot be placed in the map.
NET_DESK.jpg

Below is mapping of laptop "LCPHOTO-LT" connected to router by WIFI. As you can see, the laptop "LCPHOTO-LT" can access the hard drive of laptop "DESKTOP-3793 but cannot access hard drive of "JLCdesktop." Notice that laptop "DESKTOP-3793"cannot be placed in the map.
NET_LCP.jpg

This is mapping of laptop "DESKTOP-3793" (win 10) connected to router by WIFI. The laptop cannot access hard drive of "JLCdesktop" and does not see the laptop "LCPHOTO-LT".

NET_HP.jpg

Hi and welcome to the forum :up:

This is a problem we see regularly here on the various networking forums (W7, W8x, W10). It's easily solved.:fdance: We recommend that you setup Homegroups to do file and folder sharing on a SOHO type home network. It appears from your screenshots, that your W10 desktop is not properly connected to your existing W7 Homegroup. Normally, if you add a new computer such as your W10 machine to an existing Homegroup, all that's required is to go to either of your W7 machines and view/print out the existing Homegroup password. You can go to W10 machines and search on "Homegroup" and bring up the applet which lets you see this. In many cases, re-adding the W10 machine to the Homegroup properly will fix your sharing problems,:up: unless you have lots of weird settings and exclusion parameters in your Wi-Fi router.

If this doesn't fix it, you're looking at ripping out all of the existing Homegroup setup, which often changes when you replace an old Wi-Fi router with a new one. You simply go to all 3 of your machines and remove each PC from the Homegroup. Then shutdown each of the 3 PCs, one a t time until they are powered off. Then power off your Cable Modem or DSL modem (whichever you have); the DSL modem is the one that uses your land line home phone to get the Internet (such as Verizon). Leave ALL this equipment off for at least 30 minutes. Then start by turning on your Cable/DSL modem, then the Wi-Fi router and wait for both of those to come up, or if you have a combo unit (which contains both the Broadband modem function and has Wi-Fi router integrated into the same box); wait 5 more minutes. Then turn on whichever PC you wish to be the Homegroup master; it doesn't matter which machine. It can be one of the W7 machines. Create a new Homegroup, write down or print out the new Homegroup password.

Next, power on your 2nd PC, join it to the new Homegroup by using the new password you just created on your W7 machine above. Then, turn on your W10 machine, and join it to the new Homegroup also by using the same new password. That's it; it should be fixed!! :up:

If this doesn't work, I recommend you replace the TP-link Wi-Fi router with a high-quality name brand such as Cisco/Linksys or Netgear. All other brands have lots of issues with their drivers and many are poorly written.:worry: The result of saving a few dollars on this device results in things that are typically very easy to get working, such as folder sharing or wireless printer sharing across your network that take weeks or months to fix on your own. I typically charge $300-$600 to fix a problem that you have, that can be solved in 1-2 days by applying the above solution. This is beyond many home users, and they just can't wrap their heads around following methodical step-by-step instructions, are not Tech savvy or whatever. :rolleyes:

There is no substitute for using quality networking products. I've been doing home networking for 35 years, and this is one truism that simply can't be ignored or stated too often! Customers who save $30 on a cheap router, wind up paying me hundreds of dollars to tell them that if they spent $30 more on a quality router, they would have their problem solved and never needed to call me in the first place.:thud:

I think I beat that to death; but believe me if you ever bought cheap or retread tires for your car and experienced a blowout on the freeway at 70 mph, as I did many years ago, you'll never buy cheap tires again. This applies to networking equipment just the same.

Best of luck,:encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Yeah I'd also say a homegroup would probably be the easiest or many routers will support a hard drive connected to them and shared as a simple NAS which you could connect to from all of your computers.

Reasons for your issues
  • Firewall rules or incorrect firewall profile selected
  • Improper sharing ACLs on the systems

Yup! Neemo and I are glad to help! Think of all the $$ you're saving by getting expert help for free!;)

BBJ

Back