Windows 7 Problem with Administrative Privledges

mikesir87

Ok...this may be a tricky one...I've been searching around on quite a few forums, and nothing yet.

So, the other day, I booted into Windows 7 (I'm dual-booted with XP), and I no longer have an admin privledges on my only account. I've tried using the net user administrator commands, but I keep getting that access is denied. If I try to do anything on my computer, I get the UAC window that requires me to enter a password. (There's no input box there, but I'm not sure if that matters or not???). Well, since I have no other account, and the only password that I do have doesn't work, I'm basically stuck. Has anyone else had this problem? I have no idea how to do anything since I no longer can do anything as an administrator. I guess I might have to just reinstall 7, but I would like to avoid that if possible. So...any ideas would be great!

Thanks!

Try booting into safe mode where there should be an administrator account as well as yours. Try logging into it and fixing the problem from there.

Ok...so when I boot into safe mode, what should I do from there? Just ensure I'm on the admin level? Sorry if that seems like a dumb question... But, thanks for the help! And, thanks for the quick reply!

Well log into the administrator account and then you will have admin privileges as long as you are logged in and you should be able to make changes that you mentioned in the first post.

Ok...I got it fixed. Just to let everyone else that may have this problem, I wanted to get my account back as an administrator. I'm sure there are a few ways to do this, but here's how I did. I booted into safe mode, opened a command prompt, and entered this command: control userpasswords2. Once in there, I selected the user I wanted to adjust, hit Configure, and then put me into the Adminstrators group. Now, it's working fine.

Thanks!

You also could've;

Opened an administrative command prompt (Right click; Run as Administator)
Typed 'net user administrator activate:yes' and hit Enter.

Back
Top Bottom