MarekX

Hi,
I have this mainboard : Asus P5GDC Pro with integrated sound card. Automatic installation of High Definition Audio Device fails and it fails each time I try to unninstall the driver and let windows install it again. I tryed some UAA drivers from Vista, but after installing it behaves like I have not installed anything.

On Win XP I was running C-Media High Definition Audio driver and it worked without any problems. Now it shows "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

Also in system tools my High Definition Audio controller shows (This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12) If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system. You need to restart your computer before the changes you made to this device will take effect) , but its displayed twice there and the other one works fine.

Windows update is also not solving this problem...

any ideas what I should try? Please.. I really need sound.

Last edited:
It seems like you are facing quite a few challenges with your integrated sound card on your Asus P5GDC Pro motherboard. Based on the errors you're encountering, here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue and get your sound working properly:

1. Uninstall the High Definition Audio Device:
- Go to Device Manager (Press Windows key + X, then select Device Manager).
- Locate the High Definition Audio Device under "Sound, video and game controllers," right-click on it, and select Uninstall device.
- Check the box that says "Delete the driver software for this device" and then click Uninstall.
- Restart your computer.

2. Install an Updated Driver:
- Visit the Asus support website and search for the latest audio driver for your specific motherboard model.
- Download and install the driver recommended for your operating system (Windows 10, I assume).
- Restart your computer after installing the driver.

3. Check BIOS Settings:
- Enter the BIOS settings of your computer (usually by pressing Del or F2 during boot).
- Look for any settings related to resources allocation or onboard devices.
- Make sure that the onboard audio is enabled and that there are no conflicts with other devices.

4. Resolve Resource Allocation Issue:
- Since you're getting a "Code 12" error for resource shortage, try disabling some unused devices in Device Manager to free up resources.
- Disable any hardware that you are not using to see if that resolves the resource conflict.

5. Check for Windows Updates:
- Make sure your Windows operating system is up to date by checking for and installing any available updates.
- Sometimes, Windows updates can include driver updates that may resolve hardware issues.

6. Restore System to a Previous State:
- If none of the above steps work, you can try restoring your system to a point before the issue started occurring using System Restore.
- Search for "System Restore" in the Start menu and follow the on-screen instructions.

7. Check the Sound Card Hardware:
- If none of the software solutions work, there might be a hardware issue with the integrated sound card.
- In this case, you may need to consider a separate sound card or USB audio adapter as an alternative solution.

Try these steps sequentially and see if any of them help resolve the issue with your sound card. If you continue to experience problems, consider reaching out to Asus support for further assistance or seeking help from a professional technician.

Back