Windows 7 Problem with external Drives

pewe

I am running Win7 32bit Professional on an Acer 8930 notebook.

I have various USB storage solutions - including a 32MB flash stick and 2 usb external drives with 320mb drives - all of which work with no problem.

I also have a media player which uses an internal 2GB Western Digital hard drive for recording/storing media.

The media player connects to the notebook using USB for transfer of files, and up until a week or two ago this also worked perfectly and I could connect it to the notebook and transfer large ISO files (DVD @4.7Gb and BluRay at 47Gb) with no problem.

Suddenly a couple of weeks ago the player was stuttering on playback of HD files on the TV, so I connected it to the notebook using USB to find the drive had developed problems - it was reading very slowly and would not reformat. The Western Digital diagnostics showed there were drive errrors so I returned it to Western Digital and it was replaced under warranty.

Today I connected the new drive to the Notebook using an esata connection and formatted it (2GB again). I transferred a file to it, put it in the media player and then connected it to the TV again. I recorded 2 minutes of TV and was able to play it back as well as playing the transferred movie off the drive.

I then re-connected the Media Player to the Notebook using USB to transfer the rest of my media files - but the drive was not recognized by the notebook (ie it did not show up in Windows Explorer).
I disconnected it and re-connected and it was seen this time. However as I copied a large bluray iso file (43GB) at about 13% Explorer displayed an error saying the drive was not ready and I had to abort copying.
Now the drive was no longer recognized until I disconnected and re-connected again.

This pattern has now been repeated several times and Windows 7 keeps dropping the USB connection, but only to this drive - it has no problem with the external 350gb drives which are constantly recognized.

Any suggestions regarding possible resolution to this problem would be greatly appreciated.

First thought is that the new one is defective. Try and get antoher replacement. Usually they replace defectives with refurbed ones not new ones.

First thought is that the new one is defective. Try and get antoher replacement.

Possibly - I thought I would see if anyone else had had similar problems caused by Windows 7 before going further down that route.

Usually they replace defectives with refurbed ones not new ones.
This one is a later model than the one I returned, and has a manufacture date of Jan 2012 on it on a new label, and the drive is in pristine condition - although that doesn't mean it is not refurbished.

Back