Windows 7 Problem with power options. "Your plan information isnt availiable." :-/

Joe

Hi all, just posting this problem in hope of some answers maybe this is a common problem,

I recently installed Windows 7 Pro-Ed, on my HP Pavillion Dv4z-1200 laptop that runs with these specs:
Dual-Core AMD Turion X2 2.1GHz 4G DDR2 250GB.

I cannot seem to edit the power settings to my laptop. I click on power options to change when it can sleep and I get the error:

(X) Your power plan information isn't available. Why can't Windows retrieve this information?

When I ran Windows 7 release candidate for several months on my laptop prior to installing the full professional version, I had never encountered this error. However, I am baffled by this and after several hours of web-searching I found no answer.

If someone has the same error or a solution please share the solution with me :).

Thanks,
Joe

Last edited:
I figured out how to fix it. Simply reinstall the battery driver through device manager. You can do this by clicking start, right clicking my computer, clicking manage, click device manager, click battery, and uninstall. It will reinstall the driver by itself. I hope it works.

Joe

Here's another option for error message Power Plan Information is not available that avoids having to go into the Registry and create new values or delete the battery driver:

Start Button

Locate cmd.exe

Right click on cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator

At the command prompt enter the following (note the space between the two commands, and the minus sign before the second one):

PowerCfg -RestoreDefaultSchemes

Reboot

Your Power Options should now be restored to their original default settings.

Last edited:
Well, the approach I posted yesterday worked. yesterday. I was able to modify and save my power options. Today they're gone again, so give Joe's approach a shot. Sorry about that.

Issue resolved (for me anyway)!

Microsoft support was extremely responsive. Here's what they asked me to try, and Step 3 worked for me. Hope this helps someone!

Enlai

Step 1:- Check in Safe Mode:

Start the computer in safe mode to check if you are able to view the power settings:

By starting the computer in safe made, we can determine whether the cause of the issue is related to a background service or the corrupted files.

To start in safe mode, follow these steps:

1. Remove all floppy disks, CDs, and DVDs from your computer, and then restart your computer.

2. Click Start, click the arrow next to the Lock button, and then click Restart.

3. Press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts.

Note: You have to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you must try to restart your computer. To do this, wait until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shut down and restart your computer.

4. On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to select the Safe Mode option, and then press ENTER.

5. Log on to your computer by using a user account that has administrator rights.

After starting the computer in safe mode check:

1. If the problem continues after you start the computer in safe mode, the problem may occur for one or more of the following reasons:

. There is a problem with underpowered or faulty hardware.

. There is a problem with a driver that is installed.

. There is a problem with an operating system component.

If Step 1 does not resolve the issue, please proceed with Step 2.

Step 2: Perform a Clean Boot:

Perform the clean Boot:

If you are using any Non-Microsoft download manager to download the Adobe flash player, we can isolate those Non-Microsoft services or startup and check if we can download.

On performing a clean boot you can check and fix the issues related to the non-Microsoft application or services conflicting:

Note If the computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may prevent you from following these steps. We strongly recommend that you do not use the System Configuration utility to modify the advanced boot options on the computer unless a Microsoft support engineer directs you to do this. Doing this may make the computer unusable.

Log on to the computer by using an account that has administrator rights.

1. Click Start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER to start the System Configuration Utility.

2. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

3. On the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then click to clear the Load startup items check box.

4. On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.
Note Following this step lets Microsoft services continue to run. These services include Networking, Plug and Play, Event Logging, Error Reporting, and other services. If you disable these services, you may permanently delete all restore points. Do not do this if you want to use the System Restore utility together with existing restore points.

5. Click OK, and then click Restart.

For further reference please follow the link below regarding clean boot:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

How to set your computer back, to boot normal:-

1. Click on Start.

2. In the Start Search box. Type msconfig and then press ENTER.

3. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Yes.

4. Click the General tab.

5. Click Normal Startup - load all device drivers and services, and then click OK.

6. When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.

If Step 2 does not resolve the issue, please proceed with Step 3.

Step 3:- Reinstall Power Management settings

1. Click on Start.

2. Type Device Manager in the Start Search box.

3. Click on Device Manager.

4. Click the expand sign next to System Devices.

5. Right-click on the ACPI Fixed Feature Button and select Uninstall. In the "Confirm Device Uninstall" dialog box, click on OK.

6. Restart the system.

7. On restarting the system, Windows will automatically detect and install Power Management on the computer

If Step 3 does not resolve the issue, please proceed with Step 4.

Step 4:- Using the PowerCfg Utility:

1. From an elevated command prompt, use the PowerCfg - tool to change the power policy:

Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and select Run as Administrator. If you receive a notification from User Account Control simply click Continue.

2. To use the PowerCfg utility, you'll need to open an Administrator Command Prompt. At the prompt, type the command

powercfg -energy

3. After you press [Enter], the PowerCfg utility will begin analyzing your system's power-option settings. After a minute or so, you'll see a report brief and will be prompted to open the report titled energy_report.html for more details.

4. You can type energy-report.html at the prompt to launch Internet Explorer and open the HTML report file.

5. When the report opens, you'll see a header with basic system information followed by color-coded sections that indicate the severity of the problems that were detected. Pink indicates errors, yellow indicates warnings, and white indicates general information. You can use this report to make adjustments to your power-plan settings.

If Step 4 does not resolve the issue, please proceed with Step 5.

Step 5:- System Restore:

System Restore uses restore points to return your system files and settings to an earlier point in time, without affecting personal files.

1. Click Start, type system restore in the Start Search box, and then click System Restore under the Programs section. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.

2. On the System Restore page, click next.

3. Select a restore point at which you know that the operating system was working, and then click next. The restore point should be a date before the first time that you experienced the problem that is described in the "Symptoms" section. To select a date, use the Choose a different restore point option, and then click next.

4. If you are prompted to specify the disk to restore, select the hard disk on which the operating system is installed and then click next.

5. On the Confirm your restore point page, click Finish.

6. When the restoration process is complete, click Restart.

An excellent post, enlai. I have copied it to my help base. And congrats to Joe, as he tracked down stage three himself. Well done.

I attempted all steps recommended by Microsoft in the post above from enlai and going back to step 2 and disabling one service at a time allowed me to resolve my issue.

Disabling the service "Roxio Hard Drive Watcher 9" allows me to once again access my power plan options. This service indexes all media files on the hard disk. In my case, I believe it was installed as part of the BlackBerry Desktop Manager suite.

Last edited:
Following the steps above, I isolated the problem to the "Roxio Burn" Startup item. Whenever this is enabled on my PC, the Microsoft Power Service is stopped and the "Your plan information isn't available" error occurs. Disabling this via msconfig.exe eliminated the problem.

Fortunately, I don't use Roxio Burn, so this isn't an issue for me. However, I am curious why this problem started just now, and find it interesting that TechGuy also had a Roxio-related issue.

Thank you thank you. I had read many threads on this, but did not want to try most of it. I too do not use Roxio Hard Drive Watcher. so I went into Administration - System Configuration - Services and disabled Roxio Hard Drive Watcher. I rebooted and Viola! I was able to configure my power settings! This is the only one I disabled. I left the other Roxio items enabled. I too got Roxio from my Blackberry desktop manager. Wish things would not interfere with one another. I will bet that a lot of others that have the
"Your plan information isn't available" error are having interference too. One shot fix. Thanks. I am happy.

Thank you guys so much!!! That dang Blackberry desktop manager! WTF ! I just uninstalled the whole thing!

I was referred here from a post in the Windows Secrets Lounge forum = http://windowssecrets.com/forums/showthread.php/163040-Power-options-unavailable?p=959197#post959197

The problem occurred just after installing Windows updates on July 12, 2014.

I tried steps 1 through 4 without success, but when I got to Step 5 - System Restore - the problem was solved.

For those getting the message that Windows cannot access the power management settings, I suggest trying a simple system restore may be a lot easier and quicker than going through the first four steps.

Hi all, just posting this problem in hope of some answers maybe this is a common problem,

I recently installed Windows 7 Pro-Ed, on my HP Pavillion Dv4z-1200 laptop that runs with these specs:
Dual-Core AMD Turion X2 2.1GHz 4G DDR2 250GB.

I cannot seem to edit the power settings to my laptop. I click on power options to change when it can sleep and I get the error:

(X) Your power plan information isn't available. Why can't Windows retrieve this information?

When I ran Windows 7 release candidate for several months on my laptop prior to installing the full professional version, I had never encountered this error. However, I am baffled by this and after several hours of web-searching I found no answer.

If someone has the same error or a solution please share the solution with me :).

Thanks,
Joe
check your bios there was a setting for power options in there I chose full power fixed mine

Back