Windows 10 Problems came back after todays update!

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

After the Widows 10 update today, my computer started acting weird again.
I've spent the last couple of days getting it right.

This time I immediately uninstalled Chrome and the problems went away again.

So it seem pretty conclusive that for some reason Chrome is causing these issues.

My right click menu stops working, my computer get logy, and for some weird reason my spell checker stops working in all applications.

Even in Open Office, and other browsers!

Some things take so long to open that I think they have frozen up.

Now with Chrome removed everything seems to be back to normal.

I'm not going to put Chrome back in for now, I've just installed Opera, and it seems to be working fine.

It's also pretty easy to use, unlike Edge.

I've run scans with all my antivirus programs including Windows Defender.

But I have no idea why Chrome would effect things like my right click button not working.

Weird.

Mike

Is your graphics driver up-to-date? Chrome uses a lot of GPU acceleration by default.

Could also look back at the MS update history and see which updates were applied and try and narrow it down to a specific update.

Hi

Yes, I've updated to the latest drivers since the Anniversary update.
Since I uninstalled Chrome my computer has run fine so that really does seem to be the cause of the problems.

I've been using Opera, and Edge, I'd try and stick with Edge if they didn't make everything so hard to do.

Who designs these programs anyway, even a kid could come up with a better way to do most of this stuff.

For now I'll stick with Opera, it seems to be intuitive and work well.

My computer can run two MMOs simultaneously at high settings, I can't imagine that Chrome could stress it out, but nothing in Chrome seems to work right since the update, even the spell checker wouldn't work.

Mike

Awww, why exactly are we doing this again? LOL. :insanity:

I like Opera too, but it concerns me that they went out of business a couple of years back and updates and support for that browser are going away. It will continue to work for awhile, but then what? Maybe you could try Pale Moon or one of those other ones. I don't have any of the problems you are seeing with Chrome on any of my 5 machines; but then again they are not self-built rigs like yours, and all my machines are non-modern (all 2008 or older). Maybe Chrome likes to run on old hardware??!! LOL.:ahaha:

I did a Client upgrade 2 weeks ago on a 2 year old HP Pavilion G7 and chrome works fine on that. I haven't put Anniversary Update on it, so it's still running v1511 b10586.494. Maybe if I put the AU on it chrome will get hinky--don't know, but with all my horror stories on the AU my Client wants me to wait to install that....:andwhat:

Marc

I am running the Anniversary Update. I built my machine 4 years ago and have no problem with chrome. It seems to be working good.

Hi

There has to be some glitch someplace that causes the problem, but I don't have any idea what.

The clues are that, it stops my spell checker from working not just in Chrome but in my Open Office install as well.

Misspelled words still get underlined but it doesn't offer a correction.

It effects my right click menu causing it to stop working, plus I see a big hit in performance, everything slows right down until I think it's frozen up, but if I wait long enough things do eventually happen.

Like bringing up task manager, you just have to sit and wait until it pops up, because there's no other way to log out if the context menus won't open.

Once I've logged out and back in then everything goes back to normal, and then at some point it starts all over, if I open Chrome.

But if Chrome isn't installed then none of this happens.

It isn't a matter of resources, I really can run two MMOs at the same time.

I play Black Desert Online which can be set to have the NPCs do tasks like fishing farming moving goods across the world in wagons etc., without you being personally involved in what's going on after your start the task.

Once I have things going, I can minimize it and log into The Secret World and play that with my friend, and still see normal performance in both games.

I guess it's just one of those things.

I'm sure a clean install would fix it but that's several days of work to reinstall all my software and set everything up again.

I'm planning on getting a new computer this fall and I'll have to do it then anyway, so I'll just have to do without Chrome for now.

Mike

I am running the Anniversary Update. I built my machine 4 years ago and have no problem with chrome. It seems to be working good.
>>>Thanks for chiming in on this Sonny! Good to know. It's interesting that none of my older computers (all OEM) don't seem to have any Chrome problems mentioned by Mike. <<<
Have A Good Day! :teeth:

<<<BBJ>>>

Hi

There has to be something messed up on my computer that is having an issue with Chrome.

I reinstalled Chrome again, only this time I got an older 64 bit version that let me download the install file.

That let me control where I wanted it installed etc.

I installed in on another drive, not my C:\ drive and so far I haven't seen any problems.
In fact I'm using it right now, and the spell checker and everything is working.
I just spelled "Spell" wrong and it corrected it.

We'll see tomorrow if it stays that way.

Mike

Hi

I just came back to report that since installing an older version of Google Chrome I haven't had any issues.
My computer seems to be running great now.

Mike

Back