Windows 7 Problems running/installing programs

Aleitheo

I've got build 7100, I installed it last week on a custom made PC (I made it then aswel, this is its first OS) and it has all been fine until today.

Some programs (firefox for example) are unaffected but others will just refuse to run. Some programs just stop part way through installing and won't close without the task manager, some crash part way through running.

This has also affected explorer to the point where I am unable to plug in a USB and open it without freezing the window. Shutting down the computer no longer takes a minute at the most and the computer just stays on the logging off/shutting down screen

It could be possible that it is related to a game I copied over from my laptop onto here as I copied it over last night and even though I didn't immediately install it, the problems started when I switched on my computer this morning.

Would getting the disc I used to install win 7 be able to repair anything that may have been messed up without deleting the files I already out on here? (my laptop is slow and the process of copying over info from it takes at least a day)

Hello and Welcome to Windows7forums.. ;)

You could put the Windows 7 installation disc in and give the "repair" option a try.. It might help.. If it doesn't you may have to reinstall Windows 7.. It sounds like the game you copied has corrupted your current installation.. ;)

Well since there is a repair function, I'll give it a try tomorrow when I get the chance (20 to 2 over here)

I'm hoping I won't have to delete the game off the computer though since it took a long time copying it over and I kind of lost the disc for it too.

Still, for a beta build, win 7 did seem to work really well with all sorts of programs before today (I managed to get this highly graphical intensive freeware game working on it without any problems)

When you say you "copied" the game do you mean you literally just clicked "copy" and "paste" on all the game files? If you did that then no wonder it's not working right.. You can't just copy all the game files over to a new OS.. You have to install it on the new OS.. ;)

My apologies if I completely misunderstood you.. :)

When you say you "copied" the game do you mean you literally just clicked "copy" and "paste" on all the game files? If you did that then no wonder it's not working right.. You can't just copy all the game files over to a new OS.. You have to install it on the new OS.. ;)

My apologies if I completely misunderstood you.. :)

Well I've done it before several times with no problems though that was from xp to xp and vista to vista. I've never actually copied across different OSs before so that might be it

I managed to boot off the win 7 install disc by making the cd drive the primary boot option but there was no option to repair, only the "upgrade option (can't use it, it says it can only be used from "my computer" or something) and the custom option (the one that gets rid of what I have on the computer

Back