Windows 7 Problems with certain online applications

ST4RP0W3R

Hello,

I recently installed the Windows 7 beta on my computer and found that there are problems with the internet connectivity. I can connect perfectly fine to my wireless router and my LAN, and I have no problems with accessing the internet with Mozilla Firefox or Safari. However, in certain applications (namely Windows applications), such as Halo 2, Live Messenger and Internet Explorer, there is no internet connectivity. When I load IE, it says, "Internet Explorer cannot display the web page". Live Messenger refuses to sign me in, and Halo 2 also doesn't connect. When I tried the Network Diagnostics in IE, it failed at the step where it had to find the proxy settings. I don't know what the problem is; there is a working internet connection but some applications just can't see it. This is why I often see myself switching back to Vista on my other partition, so I can go online with more applications.

Here's an image of the problem in Messenger:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Does anyone know how to fix this?

My hardware:
SONY VAIO VGN-FW21L
Intel Core 2 Duo (2 x 2.00GHz)
3GB RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3470 with 256MB of dedicated graphics memory
250GB Hard Drive

Last edited:
goto - control panel - internet options - select the connections tab - select the lan settings button - tick the box next to 'automatically detect settings'

Oh, everything works fine now! I didn't know it was that simple! Now I don't have to keep switching to Vista just to use MSN...

Thanks!

Back