Windows 7 Problems with installing a Fax-Printer of brother

zalashkolina

hello. I have a MFC-290C Fax-Printer of brother. It has no windows 7 software CD so i have downloaded the software from their web-site.

when i try to install it the following error messages appear:

---------------------------
MFL-Pro Suite - InstallShield Wizard
An error occurred during the installation.

Please restart your PC, ensure all active applications are closed

- Then reinstall "MFL-Pro Suite".

IS015- GetOsVersion - 1
OK

after i press ok:

MFL-Pro Suite - InstallShield Wizard
This OS version is not supported.

Please check the system requirements for your model and install on proper OS version.

(IS041)
OK

my system information is:

System Information report written at: 03/09/10 14:09:29
System Name: USER-PC
[System Summary]

Item Value
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name USER-PC
System Manufacturer MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD
System Model MS-7507
System Type X86-based PC

I have tried both "windows 7" software from brother and "windows 7 64x edition" software. found here:

http://welcome.solutions.brother.co....html?reg=eu&c=eu_ot&lang=en&prod=mfc290c_all

both say the same. any clue / help please?

At this point you may want to try downloading the uninstall utility from brother at the link you have listed above.
I noticed that Windows 7 Ultimate (at least my installed 64bit version) seems to have built in native support for your Brother Printer.
Have you tried uninstalling the drivers, and letting Windows 7 find the new hardware when you attach it just to see if those drivers might get the device up and running? They might not provide full functionality, but once the printer is installed then you might try updating the drivers (32bit version) that you downloaded from the Brother website, to enhance the native drivers.
Also if you have UAC enabled (User Account Control) you may want to turn it off temporarily, to see if the driver install will work and then set it back after the install to it's original setting. I have seen in the past some installs, don't seem to evoke the UAC prompt, properly and as a consequence the install just fails without much information.

Well, it looks like it has Win 7 drivers. It may have a firmware upgrade if you check.

The site you referenced goes into quite a bit of detail about installing, did you go over that?

You normally need either 32 or 64 bit drivers, depending on your system, and the x64 is very picky. But the software may be something else, although the same bit type is better.

Thank you

I have uninstalled it, unplugged it, replugged it and it updated automatically! (I have tried uninstalling it previously but without unplugging it.. )

Thank you very very much

Back