Windows 7 Problems with Joining a Domain as Non Administrator

gregsaints

Joined the domain as the administrator in Windows 7 in my initial setup of the PC with no problem. When I tried to log in to the domain as one of the users on the domain to set up the PC on the end users side, I could not log in. I received the following error message: "You cannot log on because the method you are using it is not allowed on this computer. Please see your network administrator for more information." I can log into the domain with my Administrator user name and password that was originally used in the setup. I can log into the domain with the end user in Windows XP, I do not get this error with Windows XP

I have tried to go through the local policies - user rights assignment - Allow logon locally. But once I open "Allow logon locally", the "Add User or Group" "Remove" are grayed out, I cannot adjust any settings.

Any suggestions or ideas. Thanks in advance.

Can you use the domain admin account to add users/groups, or are you saying thats what your trying?
Users are already added to the domain. I can log into the domain from a Windows 7 OS only as a Administrator, but I cannot log in as my end users into the domain, I get the message I posted above. I can walk to a XP OS and log in as one of my end users all day long. If I could go into my local policies and make the needed changes, that would probably solve my issue, but it will not let me make any changes, my options are grayed out as if I was not on a administrator account.

I have found a work around, but I do not like the work around. I can add the end user to the list of Remote Desk top users, this allows me to log into the domain as one of the end users with no admin privileges. This totally takes away of the option of the employees being able to jump on any PC by logging into the domain, unless I add each and everyone of them to the Remote Desktop users. Then this opens the door allowing any of them if they have the know how to Remote to the PC from home or where ever.

If the settings are still greyed out when your logged in on the local admin account then there is definately something wrong that were not seeing here. I would try to re-install 7. The local admin account especially should have no restrictions on anything!

If the settings are still greyed out when your logged in on the local admin account then there is definately something wrong that were not seeing here. I would try to re-install 7. The local admin account especially should have no restrictions on anything!
I would actually try to re-install Windows 7, but this is the same problem from 3 new PC's taken out of the box that I am testing for 3 new employees.

Back