Windows 8 Question about OEM licensing & dual boot

catilley1092

Extraordinary Member
Having used Windows 8 CP on both my desktop & notebook, there's no doubt as to my decision to purchase, as I love the OS. For all intents & purposes, it's already become my default Windows install on my desktop, having purchased a separate IS for it.

What I want to know is this: If I were to buy a Windows 8 OEM license (when the time comes), can it be installed as a dual boot with Windows 7? I'm not going to buy an upgrade license, because the way I understand it, that means giving up Windows 7, which I paid for Anytime Upgrade keys for both to Pro.

Or will I have to pay for full retail licensing?

Cat

Hey Cat.
There is really no information (actual / definitive) regarding SKUs or Pricing for Windows 8, so definitely no information regarding EULAs.
My suspicions are, regarding the OEM version, that they the EULA will likely remain the same. OEMs are intended for system builders, so using one to upgrade or dual boot, would likely fall outside the scope of the End User License Agreement.
But I don't think anyone really knows for sure at this point.
And Microsoft has been know to relax and tighten various EULAs in the past so you never know til you know. You know?
Regards
Randy

I just figured it would be like the EULA's for other Windows versions. So I guess I won't know much beforehand.

What I'll probably end up doing is getting another TechNet subscription, I was a member a couple of years ago. Although my membership has been long expired, my install keys are still good, and I have several installs of XP & 7, along with different versions of Office 2010 & 2007. While I don't use any of them as my default installs, I've used them a lot, with no problems. As long as the member isn't sharing keys & install disks, which is what MS is looking for, everything should be fine.

A TechNet Desktop subscription is $199+ tax. Not bad for 2 keys of everything, including the latest versions of Office. There is a Pro version, which I still get promo codes for, but $349 is tough for me to cough up, being disabled & on a fixed income.

If MS doesn't offer deep discounts on full retail licenses, which I doubt they will, I may go that route.

Thanks for giving me the scoop on OEM licensing & dual booting, I've done it before, but that was with Windows XP/2000 Dell OEM re-install disks, and over 7 years ago that I last done it. Dell's OEM re-install disks were lax anyway, because one could use a Dell OEM XP Pro re-install disk as a install disk on a Dell computer with XP Home, or even Windows 2000 or Vista. As long as the MB was a Dell one, it would pass.

Cat

So what if the OEM install were to be placed on a new hard drive, with no dual boots? Only Data & VM partitions added. This would be the same as a new PC.

Or is this another of the "gray areas" that involves OEM licensing? What I don't want, is to spend money & not get it back.

Cat

In the past many have used a very liberal interpretation of the OEM EULA to argue that by purchasing it with a piece of "qualifying hardware" they were themselves "system builders" and as such were in the clear regarding licensing.
Subsequently Microsoft changed the EULA for OEM (retroactively terms apply to all OEM versions of Windows currently sold, including Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7). Licensing for Hobbyists
And now with the new line that says "Must be preinstalled on a PC and sold to another unrelated party." would seem to preclude any such installation.
I'm not the software police nor do I claim to be an expert regarding Microsoft products and or their respective licensing. I'm just providing information that I have as I understand it.
Regards
Randy

Cat, call this # to get correct info

1-877-426-6010 MS Licensing Group

Remember, OEM support is not available from MS; only from a System Builder or Manufacturer providing it (the OEM). IF it's going on a new HDD or M/B then, everything should be considered legit.

And or in a dual-boot should be ok, too, cus can't run both OSs @ the same time so, it becomes like it is 2 different machines.

Cheers,
Drew

Last edited by a moderator:
The picture is more clear to me now. Thanks, Randy & Drew for your input. A lot of interesting info there.

Cat

Back