Windows 10 Question about on-board video availability?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

Yesterday I helped my friend upgrade his Windows 7 computer to Windows 10.
Everything went smoothly except the sound.

Even though he has a different model of Sound Blaster card, (a SB X Fi Fatality Pro) he has the same issue that I did when I switched to Windows 10.

After the update there was no sound, the sound card was recognized but didn't work.

We ran the latest Sound Blaster driver install package and the sound started working but as soon as we rebooted the computer the sound stopped again.

Next we did the delete the sound card and reboot, the sound started again, but the next time we rebooted it stopped once more.

I had similar issues with Windows 10 right from the time I started running it in the insider program.
After weeks of looking for a solution I finally just gave up on it and switched to the on board sound which is what I'm still using.

The problem with Paul's computer is that when I got to his Sound Control Panel I don't have the options to select the on board sound, as I did on my computer.

Sound%20Panel_zpsihi3i1ru.jpg

This is my Sound Control Panel.
The only option in his control panel is the Sound Blaster card.

I plugged the sound cables into the mother board in hopes that, that would prompt it to see the on board sound but no luck.

In Device Manager you can see the Nvidia options (these relate to running HDMI sound from the Video Card) that you can see in my menu, but they don't show up in the sound panel. But I don't think that the Realtek Device showed up in Device Manager.

I'm guessing that I need to activate the on board sound some how but I don't know how I would do that.

Anyone know what I need to do to get his sound from his mother board working so we can bypass the Sound Blaster card?

Mike

Last edited:
Hi

I didn't think of that yesterday when I was there, I'll check that out.
He has the same make computer as I do (Falcon NW) so, I can check my bios and see if there is an option to do that.

You'd think that after a year Creative and Microsoft would have figured this out.

I just talked to him, and he said that so far today his sound is working.
So I installed the new drivers and switched the speaker wire to my SB card and my sound is working too.

Update: It works but it has the same problems with distorting speech that it had before so it's back to my on board audio.

Mike

Last edited:
I had this issue when I upgraded. I had to uninstall RealTek audio driver, then restart. Then force audio driver update through Device Manager. Then restart again--then my sound came back. A bit annoying but audio has been good since.

Hi

Thanks for the information, the problem was that Realtek Audio didn't show up in Device Manager.
It has always been there on my computer so I don't know why it doesn't show on his.

But so far his sound has been working through his SB card for 2 days now so maybe that's resolved.

Mike

Thats very normal Mike, the WX drivers are all lowest end to make them 1 size fits all.

Off topic;
If the G-card is Intel, I'd recommend looking at the graphic driver as well because I know the WX-intel is 5 levels behind what the current non-beta!

p.s. I use the auto-search tool ... get it from here... myself.

Hi

Thanks for the info, he has a Nvidia GTX (not sure what number) graphics card, and the drivers were updated after we did the Windows 10 upgrade.

So far he seems to be passed the sound problems, we're keeping our fingers crossed.

As I said before I was never able to solve the problems with my Sound Blaster card and just gave up on it.
I can't really hear any difference between the on board sound and the SB card anyway.

Next time I get a new computer I may just skip the sound card altogether and save a few bucks.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom