Windows 7 Question Windows 7 backup Issue

vfbsilva

Folks I got a failure in win 7 where it reports it cannot make a system rescue image. I´ve removed a windows.old folder I had via the proper way (windows file cleaning) still the system does not create the store points. What can I do? It says I sohuld check the logs on VSS and SPP. I could not find those it also says I've an non transient error. Ideas?

We need to make sure the words are correct. Are you trying to make a backup image or a rescue disc?

If you are doing an image, where are you trying to store the image?

OK, the word problems persist for me. Are you using Windows "Backup and Restore"? If so, are you Creating a system image? If so,what do you show as where you want to save backup?

I am asking because it will not save an image on the same partition being backed up.

OK, the word problems persist for me. Are you using Windows "Backup and Restore"? If so, are you Creating a system image? If so,what do you show as where you want to save backup?

I am asking because it will not save an image on the same partition being backed up.

Oki. I'm not a native english speaker so I beg your understanding. I'm creating a restore point. I want that for instanance if I install a program which breaks my system (corrupts a dll for example, which starts to give an annoying pop up error) I can come back to a previous system state where this problem does not exist.

You are using the procedure depicted in the screen shots?

Where are you trying to store the image?

Attachments

• Back 2.GIF
    Back 2.GIF
    32.3 KB · Views: 430
  • Back 1.GIF
    Back 1.GIF
    47.5 KB · Views: 387
Hi

If you want to create a restore point here is a handy app that will do that.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

I use the customizable one.

If you are trying to create a System Back Up, then you will have to have someplace to put it besides the drive you have Windows installed on.

Best option is an external hard drive or a second hard drive in your computer.
Next is to place the backup on DVDs, but this is a pain since you will want to update it often.

Last is to create a partition on you hard drive to place it in, but if your hard drive fails you are out to luck.

If you are doing all this already and you are getting a Non transient error there can be a number of reasons. Here’s a solution to one of them.

For Windows Vista and Windows 7 using the NTFS File System.

Click Start then My Computer.

On the Tools menu Then Folder Options.

On the View tab, click “Show hidden files and folders”.

Clear the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) check box. Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the change.

Click OK.

Right-click the System Volume Information folder in the root folder, and then click

Properties.
If the Read-only attribute is checked, uncheck it and click, OK
Now try creating a restore point.

You can read through this page related to the problem…

Link Removed - Invalid URL

If none of this helps, come back with more info.

Mike

You are using the procedure depicted in the screen shots?

Where are you trying to store the image?

yes this is the procedure im usng Ive tried: an external partition in another hd, the partition the system is installed and an external usb disk. All failed.

There have been problems with some installs which keep a normal backup and restore operation from working, but you would have to look around to see if you can find anything on that.

If the Image utility show a backup drive available and large enough, it should normally do the image without problems. I have backed up to secondary internal drives, external drives, and even network sites.

Perhaps if you would step through your procedures to let us know what selections you are making, we might see a different option that might work better.

There have been problems with some installs which keep a normal backup and restore operation from working, but you would have to look around to see if you can find anything on that.

If the Image utility show a backup drive available and large enough, it should normally do the image without problems. I have backed up to secondary internal drives, external drives, and even network sites.

Perhaps if you would step through your procedures to let us know what selections you are making, we might see a different option that might work better.

I did the normal procedures, after a minor win update I seem to have now 2 automatic restore points despite the fact the system reporting the functionality as disabled. I will give the system some more days and see if it keeps doing the backup despite the message.

Back