Windows 7 Raedon ATI display driver?

kr236rk

Hi,

Keep getting the message 'Raedon ATI display driver stopped'. The graphics go black, come back for a second, then blue screen. Usually the computer will then restart with the message that it has 'recovered'. Do I need a new graphics card please?

Thanks

Hi,
If you read the post found here:
How to ask for help with a BSOD problem
It will give you an app to run which will collect the data we need to read to help you best. When a computer blue screens it will produce a dump file if the settings are correct. If you run the above app and find there are no dump files then change your settings like this:
Open the run application.
Type sysdm.cpl in the run box and click ok.
Look across the top of the system properties box for 'Advanced' and click that.
Look for 'Startup and Recovery' near the bottom and click 'settings'.
Near the bottom you'll see a drop down menu under the heading 'write debugging information'.
In the drop down menu choose ' small memory dump (256KB)'
Under 'small dump directory' make sure it says %SystemRoot%\Minidump.
Click ok and your good to go.

You probably need to update your graphics driver but we will be able to tell you for certain by reading your dump files which by the way can be found in the main windows folder in a folder marked 'Minidump'.

As soon as you have any information please post it up.

I also moved your thread to the blue screen section.

Here is the graphic card info

Attachments

• graphics driver info Jan 2016 cropped.jpg
    graphics driver info Jan 2016 cropped.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 396
In that case look in your main Windows folder found on the C drive and look for a folder marked minidump. If it contains any dump files simply zip them up and post them in your next post. I'll pop back shortly and see if you have anything posted.

If it doesn't contain any dump files then change the settings like i posted above. You will need to have another bsod for a dump file to be created.

Thanks - this is the message i was getting

Attachments

• grab-all-error-message-crop.jpg
    grab-all-error-message-crop.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 377
Zip refuses to accept files so I put then in a straight folder - which won't upload - so here are the individual files

Attachments

• 011516-20732-01.dmp
    360.8 KB · Views: 421
  • 011716-13930-01.dmp
    360.9 KB · Views: 385
  • 012016-14274-01.dmp
    360.9 KB · Views: 377
  • 012816-13962-01.dmp
    268.1 KB · Views: 382
  • 061515-17752-01.dmp
    268.1 KB · Views: 370
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1A, {411, fffff680003be0a0, c001fad2, fffff8a00468ab69}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+6071 )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
you have two types of Bugchecks within the dump files. Most of the dump files are for bugcheck 116 which is a graphic driver issue whilst two of the dumps were like the above. Bugcheck 1A means a severe memory management issue occurred and could be down to faulty RAM although some apps can also cause this error. One of the Bugcheck 1A dump files blamed Avast AV as the culprit.

Ok as you have a number of possibilities as to what is the actual culprit let's just go through each thing and see if we can find the culprit. Checking your drivers I see they really are quite old and in need of updating.

atikmdag.sys Tue Aug 18 04:05:47 2009: AMD gpu driver. I see your using a Dell Inspiron 570, these can be fitted with a number of graphic cards. Try running this app to see which graphics your using if your unsure: GPU-Z

Please use your system support page to update all of your drivers:
Product Support | Dell US

As Avast was also mentioned try removing and using MSE. You can always re-install at a later date:
Microsoft Security Essentials - Microsoft Windows

Ok see how you go, I'm hoping that once you complete the above the bsod will stop. If it continues then we may have to test the RAM but see how you go first.
Post any new dump files.

Hi,
you have two types of Bugchecks within the dump files. Most of the dump files are for bugcheck 116 which is a graphic driver issue whilst two of the dumps were like the above. Bugcheck 1A means a severe memory management issue occurred and could be down to faulty RAM although some apps can also cause this error. One of the Bugcheck 1A dump files blamed Avast AV as the culprit.

Ok as you have a number of possibilities as to what is the actual culprit let's just go through each thing and see if we can find the culprit. Checking your drivers I see they really are quite old and in need of updating.

atikmdag.sys Tue Aug 18 04:05:47 2009: AMD gpu driver. I see your using a Dell Inspiron 570, these can be fitted with a number of graphic cards. Try running this app to see which graphics your using if your unsure: GPU-Z

Thanks,

The GPU-Z card details are here

Attachments

• GPU-Z cropped.jpg
    GPU-Z cropped.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 396
You can find the driver for that card here:
Legacy

Thank you - downloaded from one site which said the current driver was okay - obviously not - so this download saved a lot time finding update drivers. The drivers were updated 'with errors' but they were not listed and the log for errors would not open - just got a blank IE page when I clicked on 'open log', computer seems to be running okay though.

The bios has now been updated as well from the Dell site :)

Excellent! I did see the bios update but thought I'd leave it up to you if you wanted to install.. Anyhoo good job, let's hope your issue is resolved. If not simply post back and we'll go from there.. :)

Excellent! I did see the bios update but thought I'd leave it up to you if you wanted to install.. Anyhoo good job, let's hope your issue is resolved. If not simply post back and we'll go from there.. :)

Many thanks,

This is a good forum! ;)

Suspect it was the graphic card driver at fault because one of the error messages mentioned that. Hopefully it it sorted now!

Best thanks :)

Thank you for the kind words. Post again if the issue should re-occur.

Back