ASUS P8Z86-V PRO/GEN3 Motherboard
ASUS GTX 580 ENGTX580 DCII/2DIS/1536MD5
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz
16 GB RAM
OCZ Agility3, bios 2.15 (Updated) SSD Boot
Western Digital WD2002FAEX 2TB Drive
Western Digital WD30EZRX 3 TB Drive
3 Raided Western Digital 2TB = 5.5 TB Raid Drive

I was doing a windows reinstall, flashing my bios, and renaming my drive from D>E, G>N etc to put everything back to how I normally would have everything setup.

Upon the next boot, I noticed that one of my raid drive volume was missing.

It shows up in the boot screen as being non-raid, and the raid volume shows an error, missing drive.

I know the data is on the drive, and there will be data loss, but how can initialize the drive back to a Raid drive in the volume.

When I go into Windows > Manage > Disk Managment and click on the drive it wants me to re-initialize the drive or to format it, I know if I do this I will definitely wipe the MBR and really mess up the drive.

I read somewheres that I could:
1) Back up the MBR for each of the 3 drives in my Raid 0 volume
2) Delete the volume, recreate a new one with the same parameters.
3) Restore the MBR for each drive
4) Attempt a recovery from there.

What software would I use to backup/restore the MBR?

Does anyone have a better solution?

I tried using a Raid Recovery software package, but because my one drive is not showing up, it is not able to use it for consideration.

Is there a way to reinitialize the drive without erasing the MBR or reformating it?

Help! :)

Douglas

I assume you have the 3 drives on the Intel SATA controller? Does the Intel RAID utility give you any options or tell you what is wrong?

Any chance you could use the snipping tool to take a picture of the Disk Management window and attach using the paperclip on the advanced replies?

Were all the drives connected during your reinstall?

A little off the subject, but are you running an UEFI system and do you have the 3 TB drive set as GPT?

Hello Here is a couple of captures,

Basically one of the Raid drives has lost the beginning of it's MBR and the computer can not assertains it format, therefor showing it as RAW :(

Attachments

• raid problem.png
    raid problem.png
    136.4 KB · Views: 480
Are you showing your 3 TB drive anywhere, I don't see it listed.

Is your RAID a straight RAID 0 using the 3 drives or are you nesting or stripe using 2 and mirroring to the third?

Did you go inside the system and possibly dislodge a connection or change a port?

Will the Intel utility allow you to rebuild the array? Not sure how this might effect the data.

Everything was showing normally before you changed the drive letters?

There is a way to manipulate drive letters in the registry. If you think it is related, we could look.

I suppose Diskpart does not give you any more info than you already have? And I do believe if you Initialize the drive, it will basically wipe it.

Since I don't have that much experience with a RAID setup, hopefully someone more experienced will come along.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom