Windows 7 Random BSOD 0xF4

koen3950

Hi all,

I recently reinstalled windows 7 (after a full format) on my laptop (which was working fine but getting a bit bloated). Ever since I keep getting random freezes/BSODs. I have no clue what is causing it since sometimes it BSODs immediately after system startup, sometimes when installing windows updates, sometimes after being idle for an hour, ...

What did I do already:
- opened it up, checked all cables and removed dust
- ran memtest (ok)
- reinstalled windows AGAIN
- updated all drivers from asus site, installed all windows updates
- ran verifier (it always causes a bsod immediately after system startup, no matter what drivers I select) but to be honest, I have no idea how to use it
- ran sfc /scannow succesfully (no problems found)

Maybe most difficult thing is I almost NEVER get a (mini-)dump file after such a BSOD. Up untill now (after like 100 bsods) I only have 2 minidumps, which I attached. I looked into them but understanding is beyond my capabilities ...

Does anyone have any idea?
much appreciated!

Kind regards,

Koen

Attachments

• minidumps.zip
    61.7 KB · Views: 214
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck F4, {3, fffffa8006e41b30, fffffa8006e41e10, fffff80002dcf270}

----- ETW minidump data unavailable-----
Probably caused by : wininit.exe

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi Koen,
the above bugcheck basically means a process (possibly wininit.exe a start up application) was terminated. What actually terminated the process is unclear so we'll need to run some basic tests.
Looking through your machines support page I noticed that no Windows 7 drivers are available and it might be worth you running the upgrade advisor if only to eliminate any doubts on your machine being able to run win 7 ok:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20

Code:
EXCEPTION_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc0000006 - The instruction at 0x%p referenced memory at 0x%p. The required data was not placed into memory because of an I/O error status of 0x%x.
The above tells me you may have some corruption or a bad sector. Please run chkdsk:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/guide-to-using-check-disk-in-windows-vista/

Try booting into safe mode and see if the bsod still happens. If it doesn't then chances are it isn't a driver. To Boot into safe mode press F8 whilst booting. It may take a couple of tries but once in choose Safe mode from the revealed list.

How long did you run Memtest86 for?

Regarding no dump file. This can be down to either storage issues, no pagefile or one that's too small and incorrect settings. Make sure yours are set like this:
Go to Start and type in sysdm.cpl and press Enter
Click on the Advanced tab
Click on the Startup and Recovery Settings button
Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked
Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box
Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump << where your .dmp files can be
found later.
Click and apply to exit the dialogs, then reboot for the changes to take effect.

Kemical,

thanks! I'll take these steps tonight. I ran memtest for about half an hour I think. Is longer necessary?

Kind regards,

Koen

Hi Koen,
try those steps outlined above and if you still get the bsod then run Memtest86 again. Ideally 12hrs plus should be your target as some errors don't appear until the 12th hour.

Hello,

i finally found time to run memtest for a long time (21 hours). as far as i can see no problems detected ...

Attachments

• memtest.jpg
    memtest.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 355
Code:

BugCheck F4, {3, fffffa80069a7b30, fffffa80069a7e10, fffff80002dd5270}

Probably caused by : csrss.exe

Hi,
the above Bugcheck means that critical system processes were terminated which then shutdown the system.
Code:
EXCEPTION_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc0000006 - The instruction at 0x%p referenced memory at 0x%p. The required data was not placed into memory because of an I/O error status of 0x%x
The above tells me you may have some corruption or a bad sector. Please run chkdsk:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/guide-to-using-check-disk-in-windows-vista/

Similar to the System File Checker is the DISM Tool. This will, if possible, download files to repair missing or corrupt data. Open the admin command prompt and type:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Press enter and await results.

Just make sure your settings are set like this as a full memory dump is simply not needed:
Go to Start and type in sysdm.cpl and press Enter
Click on the Advanced tab
Click on the Startup and Recovery Settings button
Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked
Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box
Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump << where your .dmp files can be
found later.
Click and apply to exit the dialogs, then reboot for the changes to take effect.

I will try that later today or tomorrow! thanks.

I managed to run seatools yesterday in dosmode, it didnt find any problem (see attached screenshot).

thanks,

Koen

Attachments

• IMG_0696.JPG
    IMG_0696.JPG
    686.7 KB · Views: 360
Because I got a bit out of hope, I reinstalled Windows with an iso with SP1 etc baked in.
Installed drivers 1 by 1, found 1 that caused bsods (a ricoh sd cardreader driver). Restored system and installed an older (Vista) version of the driver and all was fine.
I ran verifier together with a system stresser (aida64) to make sure it was stable and it was.

Then I wanted to start installing windows updates, but after the first(!) recommended update (an ati graphics card update) it bsods again when running verifier :-(

Can someone please look at the dump to see whats wrong with my system? :-(

Thanks!

edit: uploading doesnt work, it says: file is too large for the server to process... but its only 22kB...

Post the dump file and we'll have a look see..
Also just for future reference, when installing a new os or when installing an os period as soon as it's installed you should update. However do not use Windows update to find your drivers. Just update the system and then update your drivers separately. To do this change the windows update settings from automatic to 'check whether there are updates but ask me first before downloading and installing them' . That way you'll get to pick and choose what get's installed.

Last edited:
Hmm... we had a major security issue on Sunday which may mean the settings have been changed. Unfortunately it's going to take some time to get them changed, could you post them up to something else like Dropbox for example?

Code:

BugCheck C9, {23e, fffff8800908c904, fffff980051b2dc0, 0}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for SmSerl64.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for SmSerl64.sys
Probably caused by : SmSerl64.sys ( SmSerl64+9904 )

Hi,
looks a modem driver caused the issue below:

SmSerl64.sys Fri Sep 26 09:45:56 2008: Motorola SM56 Modem WDM Driver please update. I looked for an update but as you actually own the device you may have more luck than me.

Rt64win7.sys Thu Feb 26 09:04:13 2009: Realtek RTL8168D/8111D Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet please update:
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...d=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

atikmdag.sys Tue Aug 18 04:05:47 2009: AMD GPU driver please update. Also follow my advice above about not updating device drivers via windows update:
http://support.amd.com/en-us

so in short:
- revert to situation prior to windows update
- install motorola driver
- install amd driver from amd site
?

Thanks!

Sounds good... :) It was probably the windows update driver that caused the issue so try going back

Code:

BugCheck A, {0, 2, 0, fffff800028a2194}

Probably caused by : dxgkrnl.sys ( dxgkrnl!DpiOpenPnpRegistryKey+ba )

Hi Koen,
Turn off the verifier.
Go back again but this time first update the machine using Windows updates. Remember to make sure that no drivers are installed via WU by changing the settings from auto to 'check and then ask whether to download and install'.
Once you have the machine updated pop along to your ASUS support site and use their drivers.

Back