Windows 7 Random BSOD W7Hx64 when playing videos (DSPlayer/madVR/ffdshow/avisynth)

djoole

Hi,

My HTPC is exclusively used to watch videos, using Kodi DSPlayer + directshow filters.

I was on Seven and never had a BSOD problem.
I upgraded to W10 (clean install), and since then, randomly, but often, when I watch a video, BSODs occur.

I could relate it to the use of ffdshow, itself using avisynth.

If I deactivate ffdshow in DSPlayer, no more BSODs.

I have yet to figure out if it's related to avisynth only (need to deactivate it in ffdshow and let ffdshow activated).

Avisynth is used to upscale the video in order to work enhancement filters in higher resolution in order to have best image quality.

As BSODs stop when i deactivate the use of ffdshow/avisynth, I figured the problem was related to the GPU, maybe the GPU RAM being extensively used.
But the wierd thing is I didn't have any BSOD on W7, with same setup.

Here are the dumps, with the last BSOD of today (IRQ NOT LESS OR EQUAL).

I used DDU to clean the system, and reinstall latest nvidia drivers (361.63)

I hope you can help me sort it out!

I've just noticed there were new drivers (361.75), I'll use DDU again and try them out and let you know if I get new BSODs.

Attachments

• W7F_30-01-2016.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 370
Hi,
if you can upload the dump files that would be great. I think you meant to but must have forgotten.. :)

Hi,
Actually i added it just a few minutes after opening the topic :)

Nevermind, I have now a new dump.
I had yesterday evening a new BSOD while watching a video with ffdshow activated and avisynth deactivated (and new 361.75 nvidia drivers).
Ffdshow is doing 3 things : sharpen, postprocess and avisynth.
This time i have deactivated sharpen to see if it's the guilty part.

Maybe this info is interesting : i have a lot of Kodi crash (but no windows crash) while watching videos.

Attachments

• W7F_31-01-2016.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 297
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck D1, {100000028, 2, 0, fffff80175174964}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for e1c65x64.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for e1c65x64.sys
Probably caused by : NETIO.SYS ( NETIO!RtlCopyMdlToMdlIndirect+214 )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
you have quite a collection of dump files with a few different bugchecks. The most common by far is Bugcheck 1A meaning a severe memory management issue occurred. Bugcheck 3B blaming hardware was also present as was bugcheck 50 (possible causes are drivers, Anti-Virus, Bios, Hardware). the above dump file is the last one in the chain and is usually driver related.
As you have so many different types of bugcheck and with many relating to memory in one way or another it's only prudent to test your RAM. Even though it ran fine under windows 7 I have known of cases where the user upgraded to win 10 only to discover that the RAM was faulty so it's not unheard of.
The best app for the job is Memtest86.
If you open the link below you'll see you can run Memtest86 in two ways. You can either burn it to disk or install it onto a USB drive it's entirely up to you. You'll then need to enter the bios to change the boot order so you can boot from either the Disk or USB stick you have Memtest86 on.
You must test for at least 12 hours unless it becomes obvious there is a problem straight away.
Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

The above dump file is pointing to a Intel network driver as a probable cause. I actually feel this is a bit of a red herring but time will tell.

I noticed that your Bios is out of date. You have bios updates relating to stability and before testing the RAM try updating the bios first.
SABERTOOTH Z77 - Support

Can you also create a system recovery disk/USB please. The reason I ask is because if the memory scan and bios update don't work I want you to run the driver verifier. You first need to create a recovery disk/usb though as it may be needed to get you into safe mode to turn off the driver verifier as it can at times lead to a bsod loop on start up.
See how you go with the above first though.

Hi kemical,
Thanks for you help, I'll get back to you after upgrading BIOS and RAM testing for results.

Hi,

I just wanted to let you know where I am at.
I've upgraded the BIOS, and run a memtest during 20 hours, it passed without errors.

Now, I'm going to set ffdshow to the settings known to trigger several BSODs on my system, and I'll wait (hopefully in vain) for the next crash.

Keep in touch.

LMhiIEi.jpg

Ok bud... Glad to see the memory is probably alright too. Any new dumps please post.

I just go a new crash.
Here is the dump.
I'll try to keep watching videos with sharpen option deactivated from ffdshow to be sure if that's the trigger.

Maybe it's the GPU RAM which has a problem? Is there a memtest for that?

Attachments

• W7F_03-02-2016.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 380
Code:

BugCheck D1, {fffff801aa4a1320, ff, 0, fffff801aa4a1320}

Probably caused by : intelppm.sys ( intelppm!PerfReadWrappingCounter+33 )

Hi,
this bugcheck is usually caused by drivers and the probable cause is the Intel Processor driver. I can also see it in the stack text so that is definitely the culprit.
I would hazard that this is related to your chipset drivers which date to 2012. If you look on your motherboards support page you'll find beta versions for windows 10, give them a try.
Hope all goes well and please post any new dump files.

Hi,
Another crash with Assus Z77 W10 Intel Chipset beta drivers installed :(
Any way to test GPU RAM, like system RAM (memtest like)?

Attachments

• W7F_06-02-2016.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 336
Code:

BugCheck A, {ffffd0012977c0b0, 2, 0, fffff802842611b7}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!KeIntSteerSnapPerf+147 )

Hi,
this bugcheck can be caused by:
Cause
This bug check is issued if paged memory (or invalid memory) is accessed when the IRQL is too high.

The error that generates this bug check usually occurs after the installation of a faulty device driver, system service, or BIOS.

If you encounter bug check 0xA while upgrading to a later version of Windows, this error might be caused by a device driver, a system service, a virus scanner, or a backup tool that is incompatible with the new version.
Reference
I've noticed in a few dumps that Kodi.exe is running are you sure it's compatible with windows 10? Try running it in compatibility mode.

Check your Vram by running the app here:
HOME PAGE OF MISHA CHERKES

Try running the driver verifier. First you must and I mean must create a recovery disk/USB. You may need this as sometimes, but not always, the verifier will induce a bsod loop on start up. If this occurs you can use the recovery media to boot from, enter the recovery section, boot into safe mode and turn off the verifier. Hopefully the troublesome driver will be caught on the resulting dump file.
Recovery:
Creating a recovery drive - Windows Help -

Driver verifier
How do I fix a Blue Screen in Windows using Driver Verifier?

I also did a little reading up about ffdshow and bsod's. It seemed there was or is a relation between using ffdshow with more then one codec installed could result in a bsod. Now i'm unsure if this is the case but thought I'd mention it. Here's the info where i gleaned this titbit from:
ffdshow causing BSOD and player problems

Hi,

Thanks for your quick answer!
I just got another crash, and this time, no video was even playing.. Kodi was displaying a photos slideshow.
So now, I can't be sure it's even related to ffdshow/sharpen :-/
Here is the dump.

I'll test VRAM and run Driver Verifier, and will let you know.

I forgot to say that Kodi is compatible with W10. I'm the only one in Kodi forum having BSODs.. :-/

Attachments

• W7F_06-02-2016bis.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 372
I have a problem using VMT :
XVBNTao.png

Do you know if there is a specific thing to do?
This software is very old (2008), is it still operational?

Code:

BugCheck D1, {fffff820b3711320, ff, 2c, fffff820b3711320}

Probably caused by : intelppm.sys ( intelppm!PerfReadWrappingCounter+33 )

Hi,
yup the above app is a little old and could be why it didn't run correctly. In any case please run the driver verifier.

Is your machine overclocked?

Sorry for not replying sooner.
I yet have to run the driver verifier, and find a way to test vram, I just didn't have time to do that lately.
The CPU is lightly overclocked.. 4GHz instead of 3.4GHz, no big deal. It has been overclocked since I have it.
I'll get back to you when I have info after running driver verifier.

OK, I've activated Driver Verifier, and indeed i fell into a BSOD loop during windows boot.
Here is the dump, it seems nvhda64.sys triggered the BSOD.

Attachments

• W7F_18-02-2016.zip
    965.1 KB · Views: 367
Code:

BugCheck C4, {2000, fffff801a412f0a6, 0, 5a41564e}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvhda64v.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nvhda64v.sys
Probably caused by : nvhda64v.sys ( nvhda64v+f0a6 )

Hi,
apologies, was gaming last night until the wee hours hence my lateness in replying. Yup the verifier did indeed catch a driver:

nvhda64v.sys Mon Sep 21 10:44:17 2015: nVidia HDMI Audio Device

Try using the DDU to remove the existing driver. Nvidia have just released a new WHQL driver so try that but when installing use the 'custom' method and uncheck the audio part of the driver. I tend to do this as a matter of rule and only install the actual driver and physx. There are portions of the Geforce experience which actually slow the pc although this can be turned off in services if required. If you want to use the Geforce experience but don't want to lose the extra fps then go into services and disable 'Nvidia Shield streaming'.

Let me how you get on and please post any new dump files.

Back