Windows 7 Random freezing during instillation of windows 7

andou0

My issue, no matter what source, or what ram I use, Windows 7 will freeze during install at random points (Mostly during expanding windows files, however, also occurred before even selecting a partition to install on). When I say freeze, i mean the mouse is not able to be moved, and waiting 15+min does nothing.

There is NO trouble installing windows XP, but it runs a little "off" (refusing to install chrome, refusing to keep certain programs up, etc).

What have I attempted to fix this?
-Swap ram (three times between pny/ocz/g skill, all memtest'd fine).
-Remove all non-required hardware.
-Installing from 2 different CD's, one manuf, one burnt, and from a USB. (not including the 2 64 bit CD's im no longer bothering with).
-Swapping settings in bios on the ram (More volt, more leeway time, etc).
-Setting IDE to RAID and the other setting.
-Swapping video cards.
-Updating the MB bios to most recent
-Threating newegg employees.

My specs below:
AMD Athlon 2 x4 635 CPU
Asus m4n75td Mobo
2gb ripjaw G.Skill Ram(supported by the mobo manfuact list)
Evga 9800 gtx+ Video card.

Now I really do like the motherboard, but that is the only thing I have yet to swap out, and I need this fixed ASAP. There are other posts about this, but none of those resolutions helped me. Does anyone have any idea what can be done to resolve this? Ive been hacking away at it non stop for 4 days now (going on 5).

EDIT: This is a custom install, not upgrade.

Last edited:
Hi.

First, I would make sure the DVD you're installing from is official and not "found" online, if you know what I mean.

If that's all well and good, create a USB install key. Boot to the install key. Sometimes, motherboards see usb drives as hard drives, so keep that in mind while setting it as the first boot device.

To create the install key, you can Google for how to do it. It's fairly simple and likely to solve your issues.

If you have had any usb key attached to the machine while trying to install from DVD, remove the usb key and try again, first.

While attempting re-install, remove all the RAM from the machine except leave one stick in.

Remove the video card and attach the monitor to motherboard, if this is a possibility.

Replace the components while power is off, once Windows is installed well.

Any USB devices plugged in might be causing this lock. During installation and first system boot, make sure nothing is connected until you have a full boot into Windows 7. After the installation is complete and you are successfully in Windows, plug in the USB devices and the OS will automatically install the necessary drivers needed. Unplugging as many peripherals as possible can help.

If your ram sticks are different brands that require different timings, this can be the problem. To test the installation, you may want to strip it to one stick.

-I mentioned in my post that i had a burnt copy, a manufacturer copy, and a copy on usb and I have been primarily using the USB.

-I only have one stick after the returns anyhow, and it is memtested. Tried also using other mem slots with no luck.

-Mobo doesnt have built in video, however, i have used another video card with similar results.

@ Cybercore

i have tried using ps2 based mouse/keyboard combo vs my usb mouse/keyboard to no avail. Attempting after powering on the computer and loading windows 7 boot has the same outcome.

the "memok" function on the MB makes me think the MB is defective. The memok LED is ALWAYS lit consistently, and I have been through pny non supported, ocz supported, and g skill supported memory, swapped slots, used only one per mem stick, swapped timing in the bios (9-9-9-24 1.5v) ect, and even used the memok button itself, and while the MB will boot and say memok test passed, the light will never go out.

From what i understand, it is only supposed to be lit when there is uncompatable ram, or issues with the ram and the MB.

Last edited:
@ Cybercore

i have tried using ps2 based mouse/keyboard combo vs my usb mouse/keyboard to no avail. Attempting after powering on the computer and loading windows 7 boot has the same outcome.

It could also be caused by a hardware component with a bad timing incompatible with your motherboard, such as a sound card for example. (I once had such problem installing XP)

If your memory sticks are the same brand, you're fine. Otherwise you may set their timings manually in bios, or even better strip you total ram to one stick installed.

@Cybercore

I have no other hardware connected aside vid card, mouse, and keyboard.

I only have ONE memory stick currently, and ive played with its timing between the manufact listed timing and voltage, to slightly overvolting it, to lowering the speed of it to 10333mhz, to tinkering with the timing per manufact suggestion.

I'm unfamiliar with your motherboard but if there is an error type of light lit when it shouldn't be, then I would look into alleviating that by any means necessary. If unsuccessful, RMA the motherboard for a new one. Consult the manual or contact the manufacturer to see what they say about the light itself.

Other than that, you could try wiping the hard drive with a low level format using Killdisk. Sometimes, a hard drive placed as close back to the condition it left the factory as a low level format does, can do wonders.

@TorrentG

I have 2 physical HDs, and ive tried the install on each one seperately (uninstalling one and trying the other, ect). The freezes have occured before i even pick between upgrading or new install, not to mention before i pick a HD. I have also formatted both of these drives probably 15 times in the last 4 days each.

As far as an RMA, im taking it back to the store ii bought it from tomorrow as from what i have read online, the LED is not uncommon.

As far as an RMA, im taking it back to the store ii bought it from tomorrow as from what i have read online, the LED is not uncommon.

Sounds like a plan to me. Please let us know how it turns out and best of luck with that.

Before doing that though, have you ever tried removing the power cord from the wall socket for a little bit. Then try powering on the machine with the cord out to release any stored energy on the mobo. It fixed the memok led issue for the next to last poster here:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?board_id=1&model=P6X58D%20Premium&id=20100609053921796&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

Last edited:
Back