Windows 7 Random Freezing, Have to Force Shutdown

Ryphier

So for the past month or so my computer has been periodically freezing, sometimes half an hour after start up and other times it can be fine for a full day of use. The freezing leaves my computer in a fully unresponsive state (pressing caps locks on my keyboard does not light up the LED. Internal LEDs and fans still run) and the only option I have is to restart it by holding down the power button.

I've tried several things after browsing several forums, the things I've tried include:
- Testing for bad RAM, test come back fine and as a further measure I have taken one stick out and tried using just one but I crash, same for the other stick
- Updating all drivers
- Checking for malware (using malware bytes) and a general virus scan (Trend micro Titanium)
- Scanning and fixing registry errors (using CCleaner) (this seemed to do the job as I was able to run perfectly fine for several hours, but then my PC froze
- Monitoring heat/CPU usage (the highest any component gets to is 45C at the time of freezing. Physical memory used at the time of freezing never exceeds 23%)

I'm not sure if there is any relation but it generally only happens while running Google Chrome, Hearthstone and Dayz. Yet I can play Guild Wars 2 (known to be very CPU intensive) for 6+ hours and have no freezing occur (same for most steam games)

Any and all help is very much appreciated, as freezing occurring with University assignments quickly approaching is not going to be fun.
Computer type PC/Desktop
System Manufacturer/Model Number Custom Build
OS Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2700K CPU @ 3.50GHz
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme3
Memory Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz
Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670
Sound Card Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio
Monitor(s) Displays 2x Flatron E2411 (24" 60Hz)
Screen Resolution (1) 1920 x 1080 x 32 bits (4294967296 colors) @ 60Hz (2) 1
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Ultimate
Mouse Razer Naga
PSU 800W
Hard Drives (1) Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series ATA Device (2) ST31000524AS ATA Device
Internet Speed 7Mbs/2Mbs
Antivirus Trend Micro Titanium
Browser Google Chrome

Last edited:
I am suspecting the antivirus is hogging your system. Have you played around with the settings? Have you checked which program is using most resources?

Last edited:
I am suspecting the antivirus is hogging your system. Have you played around with the settings? Have you checked which program is using most resources?
Trend Micro uses ~151000Kb, at the time of freezing only 20% of physical memory is being used

Check the physical connections of your hardware components and all cable connections...to make sure there fully seated.

All connections are fine, I have checked and reseated most components

The only reason I suggested is; I've seen RAM sticks come loose and cause freezes and BSOD's...and after reseating seemed to stop the issue.

Try disabling all 3rd party updaters on Startup and Services tabs on msconfig. I do all my updates manually and I disable all automatic software updates even MS updates.

Back