Windows 7 Random sleep/hibernate, won't wake up

gerrod

Hi all -

I've searched around for this issue but haven't quite found one which is the same.

I'm running 64-Bit W7, and my computer seems to go to sleep/hibernate randomly, for no particular reason. Like, I could be in the middle of typing an e-mail (hence obviously the computer is detecting input), and it will just power off. As if this isn't annoying enough, when I try to wake the computer (by hitting the power button), the computer "wakes up" in that it powers on, but it never fully recovers - my monitor just says "no signal".

The only way to recover from this is to disconnect/reconnect from mains power, and then power on again. At this point, the computer boots fine (but says "Resuming Windows" rather than "Starting Windows").

I have a suspicion that it *might* be something to do with automatic updates which have a restart pending, though that's really just a theory.

Any advice? I've checked the power savings/sleep settings, and they seem fine - though as I said, since it can happen while I'm in the middle of using the computer, I don't think the problem lies there. Also, I'm running the latest drivers for everything I can find, so I don't think that's the issue.

Thanks in advance!

Hi,
if your suspicious of a certain update you could always try removing it and seeing it that cures your problems..
System Restore is another option you could try although I'm wondering which update could be causing this issue..
Could you post a little more info, like how long it's been happening and if you upgraded or did a clean install?

This link, although for vista, might contain useful information..

Power Options and Sleep Mode Problems - Vista Forums

if your suspicious of a certain update you could always try removing it and seeing it that cures your problems..
System Restore is another option you could try although I'm wondering which update could be causing this issue..
Could you post a little more info, like how long it's been happening and if you upgraded or did a clean install?

Ah, sorry, what I meant by my update comment wasn't that I was suspicious of a single update, but more that I was suspicious that when W7 has any updates pending, the problem occurs. I can't confirm that this is true, but the last two times that W7 has told me it wants to restart to finish applying updates, the problem has happened.

I used to have the RC build running, and I saw this problem occur in that as well. When I got the actual release, I formatted the drive and did a clean install.

The machine is home built, though there's no exotic parts in there, everything is fairly standard from big manufacturers.

Cheers -
/gerrod

Hi all -

I've searched around for this issue but haven't quite found one which is the same.

I'm running 64-Bit W7, and my computer seems to go to sleep/hibernate randomly, for no particular reason. Like, I could be in the middle of typing an e-mail (hence obviously the computer is detecting input), and it will just power off. As if this isn't annoying enough, when I try to wake the computer (by hitting the power button), the computer "wakes up" in that it powers on, but it never fully recovers - my monitor just says "no signal".

The only way to recover from this is to disconnect/reconnect from mains power, and then power on again. At this point, the computer boots fine (but says "Resuming Windows" rather than "Starting Windows").

I have a suspicion that it *might* be something to do with automatic updates which have a restart pending, though that's really just a theory.

Any advice? I've checked the power savings/sleep settings, and they seem fine - though as I said, since it can happen while I'm in the middle of using the computer, I don't think the problem lies there. Also, I'm running the latest drivers for everything I can find, so I don't think that's the issue.

Thanks in advance![/My dear friend This is Mohamed kamar i had something like this, my laptop never wake up from sleeping or hibernating, until i found the solution which is forcing the hibernation off, and this is done through CMD,
as following:
open a CMD line (Start > Run > type CMD and hit CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER) that will open a 'admin commande line'. Enter this;
> powercfg -h off
try to do so, and please feed me back i hope that i will work for you dude
take care
Regards
Mohamed kamar ]

OK, I've figured out the problem, but it's nothing I could have predicted. It's my keyboard/mouse (I was using an old Microsoft Wireless desktop set).

As it turns out, the problem was if I simply MOVED the keyboard, the computer would shutdown. Yes, it sounds crazy, but I did multiple tests, and that was definitely the problem. I've now hooked up an old PS/2 keyboard and USB mouse and have since had absolutely no troubles.

Any theories on this? I had the latest drivers installed from MS so I don't think it's a driver issue. Looks like I'll need to get a new wireless keyboard/mouse but since they're just so darned expensive I've been holding out.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Hi Gerrod,
do you have many peripherals plugged in as well as the k'board and mouse? Also whats the power of your PSU?
Lastly, when you were using the old k'board did you have the latest drivers running?

Hi kemical -

do you have many peripherals plugged in as well as the k'board and mouse? Also whats the power of your PSU?
Lastly, when you were using the old k'board did you have the latest drivers running?

Nope, there are no other peripherals plugged in. Internally, the computer has a bluray drive and one hard-drive, and nothing fancy in the way of high powered components. It's a 400w power supply, so there should be plenty of spare capacity.

Yep, I have the latest drivers from Microsoft, so I don't think it's a driver issue...

Have you tried the k'board in a different pc like a friends? I guess that's the only way your gonna know if it's faulty or not as the PS/2 one is running fine, yes?

No, I haven't tried the keyboard in another machine, I suppose that's the next step to do; but yes, the machine is working flawlessly with the PS/2 keyboard.

Still, if they keyboard does work fine in another machine, where does that leave me? I guess some things just weren't made to play nicely! :)

That actually could be quite true as not all hardware is compatible but let's wait and see what the results are...

This is a known issue with Windows 7, will have to use Never on both settings , will fix it till Windows comes out with a fix forit,

Back