Windows 7 re: OUT OF CONTROL - - Microsoft Word icon replaces all original icons in menu bar and desktop - -

Blondie

Hi,

I just downloaded MS Office 2010. Now, all the office icons - Excel, PowerPoint etc ..... and all the icons in Start menu and my desktop such as Norton 360, iTunes, Quicktime Player, Calculator etc. show up as the Microsoft Word icon.

In other words all the original icons are missing and the only icon I see - for all software programs is Microsoft Word.

I had a virus on my laptop a few weeks ago and I deleted a folder .... or something ... but I'm not sure what it was. Can someone please tell me what I deleted and how I can get it back?

Thanks,
M

Re: OUT OF CONTROL - - Microsoft Word icon replaces all original icons in menu bar and desktop - - including Excel, PPT, Norton 360, iTunes, etc.

A lot of software programs use files kept in C:\Windows\Installers. Office always used to but I've just checked my Word and Excel and with '10 they now point to their own .exe file. The installer folder is prone to "accidental deletion" of files. But why everything has turned into a Word icon?? I can only suggest it relates to your recent infection. I'd check there icon paths by trying to manually customise or change the icon.

Re: OUT OF CONTROL - - Microsoft Word icon replaces all original icons in menu bar and desktop - - including Excel, PPT, Norton 360, iTunes, etc.

• Is the issue specific to a particular application or with all the applications installed on the computer as well?
• When was it last working fine?
• Have you made any recent changes on the computer?

The programs open with Word when you set that particular program to open in default with Word on the computer. When you uninstall Office on the computer the program is set to open with by the Default function.

If you have set only one particular program for example: Notepad, to open the entire notepad files in Word, you may change the function, follow the steps in the link to “Set Your Default Programs”

Change which programs Windows uses by default: Change which programs Windows uses by default

If the issue still persists, follow the below steps:
1. Click Computer.
2. Click the Dropdown for the Organize.
3. Click Folder and Search Options.
4. Click View Tab.
5. Click on Reset All Folders.
6. Click OK. Now check, if the issue is fixed or not.

I hope this helps!

Brett M,
Windows Outreach Team

A lot of software programs use files kept in C:\Windows\Installers.Link Removed - Invalid URL
Link Removed - Invalid URL
Link Removed - Invalid URL

Last edited:
Back