Windows 8 RE : Windows 8.1 final release

davidhk129

At the moment I have the win 8.1 preview installed in my old Dell laptop which used to run Vista.
It was a clean install and I never had the Windows 8 RT ( I could have it for $39.99, but I declined to do so.)

Question :
When the final release of Win 8.1 is available for public, do I have to buy it?

I came across this article :
http://www.nextofwindows.com/what-you-need-to-know-before-installing-windows-8-1-preview/
excerpt........
Your Windows 8.1 preview will expire in less than 7 month. Because we are expecting a final release of Windows 8.1 releasing later this year, it makes sense to set the expiration date a little after, which leaves you plenty of time to upgrade to the final release. You will be still able to use the Windows 8.1 preview, but will be restricted just like Windows 7 does.

Question : what restrictions ?

Will it run just like it is now or will I lose some of the applications and options?

Thank you.

As far as I know, you have to have a legit copy of windows 8 in order to install the RTM of 8.1. The RTM of 8.1 will be free to those who all ready have windows 8.

I'm not sure if 8.1 will be sold as a "stand alone" OS....I would have to assume so, since it's being installed on the retail side as a stand alone OS. Will just have to wait and see.

Thank you, but that article does not address my questions regarding....
1. " do I have to buy "?
2." what restriction" ?

If you're running 8 you DO NOT have to buy. It'll be free and in the windows store from within 8

If you're running 8 you DO NOT have to buy. It'll be free and in the windows store from within 8

.....If you are running 8.......
I have win 8.1 preview clean installed in a Vista laptop, am I considered as " I am running 8" ?

As far as I know, you have to have a legit copy of windows 8 in order to install the RTM of 8.1. The RTM of 8.1 will be free to those who all ready have windows 8.

I'm not sure if 8.1 will be sold as a "stand alone" OS....I would have to assume so, since it's being installed on the retail side as a stand alone OS. Will just have to wait and see.

Since Win 8.1 preview is being handled as a separate OS, I would venture to say that same will apply to the final release.

Just like Win 8 RT from Preview. For a limited time offer, It was sold for $39.99 to all Win 7 and Vista users.

No you have to have bought windows 8 and NOT be using the preview.

Thank you.
That answered my first question.

My 2nd question is .... what are the restrictions?
Will my preview run just like it is now or will I lose some of the applications and options?
http://www.nextofwindows.com/what-you-need-to-know-before-installing-windows-8-1-preview/
excerpt........
Your Windows 8.1 preview will expire in less than 7 month. Because we are expecting a final release of Windows 8.1 releasing later this year, it makes sense to set the expiration date a little after, which leaves you plenty of time to upgrade to the final release. You will be still able to use the Windows 8.1 preview, but will be restricted just like Windows 7 does.
Can you shed some light in this ?

The restrictions are for the 8.1 Preview, the expiration time and that you'll have to do a clean install 8.1, IF the 8.1 is the only OS installed. If its a dual boot scenario then just an uninstall of the preview is all that's required.

The restrictions are for the 8.1 Preview, the expiration time and that you'll have to do a clean install 8.1, IF the 8.1 is the only OS installed. If its a dual boot scenario then just an uninstall of the preview is all that's required.

I am having trouble expressing my point today.

I know the restrictions are on the win 8.1 preview when it is expired. That article I posted explains very clearly.
My question is.... what are the restrictions if I continue using the preview version in stead of installing the final release version.

Thank you.

If you're re referring to the last paragraph of that article...I have no clue what the author is referring to about restrictions.

That's a new one to me.......

If you're re referring to the last paragraph of that article...I have no clue what the author is referring to about restrictions.

That's a new one to me.......

Yes, that is what I was referring to.
I would assume with almost certainty that there will be no updates for the preview version.
But, what else? That's what I am wondering.

Thank you anyway.

I would say the last paragraph means you are fine until January. After that the normal restrictions, such as black screens and limited options will be started. Just as in the restrictions most limited versions would offer.

When you do transition to a final version, you will probably have to do a complete reinstall.

I would say the last paragraph means you are fine until January. After that the normal restrictions, such as black screens and limited options will be started. Just as in the restrictions most limited versions would offer.

When you do transition to a final version, you will probably have to do a complete reinstall.

Thank you.

I'm certainly not brave enough to install v8 or v8.1 on any of my older or newer computers. One thing though, I wouldn't count on M$ not charging for that upgrade? Remember the Windows 3.1 to Windows 3.11 update?? We had to pay for that; hundreds of licenses worth. And the WFW 3.0 to WFW 3.1 same thing. There are no guarantees on what M$ will do once they have the Final Release out of Beta and release to retailers. BTW, I had letters of Guarantee from M$ that neither of those OSes would be chargeable upgrades, especially for site-licenses BUT they did it anyway! Litigation ensued, buy my Company lost--twice! :headache:

I'm not holding my breath on that one! :iee:

BIGBEARJEDI

I doubt they will charge for 8.1. Backlash would be terminal at this point. The fact that they have not included any option to provide a desktop only mode, yes, with the Start Menu, is perplexing at best. I cannot say if they have deemed it necessary to completely annoy their customers by instead providing a floating button at the bottom of every screen, instead. As for this tablet computing, I have one, and it is an Android. You will need to pry my non-touch screen laptops and self-built desktop workstations from my cold dead hands before I start to type on any kind of touch screen interface for any realistic work purpose. This issue will continue to be pervasive until the issue is addressed by Microsoft and it will slow adoption. If it has not done so already, I would find it extremely surprising. The option to restore the menu in a desktop-only type mode could have easily been added someplace like msconfig. The ability to run Modern UI apps inside desktop windows is a proven concept that has been implemented in a paid product by Stardock. The option could be out of sight and out of mind, for the 10% of people in the known universe buying Microsoft phones or tablets. I understand their strategy, but the implementation only antagonizes people to avoid future upgrades, especially business. As such, the message above from @BIGBEARJEDI, should be taken seriously. Not listening to customer feedback would be dire, at this point in time. It is not a bad OS, but I don't need to have animated wallpapers on a Start Screen UI and consider that a serious upgrade.

I'm certainly not brave enough to install v8 or v8.1 on any of my older or newer computers. One thing though, I wouldn't count on M$ not charging for that upgrade? Remember the Windows 3.1 to Windows 3.11 update?? We had to pay for that; hundreds of licenses worth. And the WFW 3.0 to WFW 3.1 same thing. There are no guarantees on what M$ will do once they have the Final Release out of Beta and release to retailers. BTW, I had letters of Guarantee from M$ that neither of those OSes would be chargeable upgrades, especially for site-licenses BUT they did it anyway! Litigation ensued, buy my Company lost--twice! :headache:

I'm not holding my breath on that one! :iee:

BIGBEARJEDI

The upgrade from 8 is free for all who have bought or have a machine than came preinstalled with windows 8. I'm love 8 and really don't get why all the moaning about the start menu.

M$ is following BlackBerry's steps to extinction. They make things more complicated on desktops and make things run smoothly on tablets and smartphones.
I would be happy to go back to Linux anyway. It's FREE and uncomplicated. :)

badrobot & lorenkjr1.
For curiosity, and, possibly, to help others with similar problems. First. Are you referring to the legacy, or the "modern" desktop?
Since starting out with the early builds, more than a year ago, I have not encountered a single problem, running Windows 8 in legacy desktop mode. In that mode, which will be optionally automatic in Windows 8.1, what do you find complicated.
Reading nmsuk's post, I am in agreement but would extend. Yes, I have had small "learning" problems, but I use the Modern desktop as my primary start menu. I have not had anything go wrong there that I would consider worth moaning about.
I must add, though, that I am not using any "Apps". I tried a considerable number and found most were inferior to the earlier OS, similar programs.
reference the (possible) charge for Windows 8.1 MS have deliberately classified it as an update, not an upgrade or new OS. So far, the standalone OS, as Bigbear indicates, may be priced.

Back