Windows 7 Reallocation Of Space on C: Drive

rahulras1993

Hi All,

Alright heres the deal I have A Dell Inspiron 1564 laptop its got ~400 gig of HDD space. Now those idiotic people who installed my O/S thought 50 gig would be enough for anyone.. anyway My C: has my OS installed and I just have 4 gig of space after installing stuff on it and I have approx 300 gig of space left on my D: now I want to transfer or reallocate the space on C: without reinstalling windows how do I do that :confused: I tried using DIsk Manager but apprently wont work with system drive.

I play Microsoft Flight Sim X and its every expanding to add addons in the game which results in increasing space in my C: and resinstalling the game isnt an option since I have done a lot of changes and stuff and I dont want to redo all over again....

Please help!!!!!!!

Thanks,

Rahul :cool:

Hi cybercore thanks for your reply,

What I did was use shrink my D: drive to 160 gb from 300 gb and the avaliable free space was showed now how Do i actually transfer this space to my C: drive? I dont understand there is no option to expand on my C:

Also the program which you mentioned dosent have support for my Windows 7 64-bit please help!

Thanks a lot :D

You need to have UNALLOCATED space, on which you click to assign where to move it - this is what I personally once did and it worked.

With the Disk Management, the route is to delete your 300 Gb partition and then to create a smaller partition, and then merge the remaining unallocated space to your C drive.

Alternatively, you can try other tools to rearrange your hdd space without deleting partitions.

Hi,

As cybercore points out, Windows Disk Management won't be able to do that without deleting the large partition first.

You presumably don't want to do that.

You need a 3rd party partition manager.

The FREE PW supports 64 bit o/s , d/l the free Bootable CD as well.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Thanks for the reply but it seems the merge option which I want to use is not avliable in the Free Version any other programs I can use??

I can shrink the disk but again it has the same problem as disk manager and it wont let me merge the space with my C:

Please help :D Thanks!

Rahul

rahulras1993 - I would recommend Partition Wizard Home Edition, it's free and does a great job. In addition, you can download an ISO image of the "bootable CD" version so you can run it without having to have Windows loaded. It does a better job doing it that way and WILL resize your C drive for you.

Just use either the native Windows 7 built-in ISO burning program or ImgBurn which is a free app.

Partition Wizard Home Edition is a free partition manager software designed by MT Solution Ltd. Our partition manager supports 32/64 bit Windows Operating System including Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7. Home users can perform complicated partition operations by using this powerful yet free partition manager to manage their hard disk. Functions include: Resizing partitions, Copying partitions, Create partition, Delete partition, Format partition, Convert partition, Explore partition, Hide partition, Change drive letter, Set active partition, Partition Recovery.

Partition Wizard Home Edition is designated for home user only, to use Partition Wizard in a business environment, Partition Wizard Professional Edition is required.

Note: All of our products support both 32 & 64 bit Windows OS.We always take full virus scan on all the files before we release them to the public. 100% Virus-Free and Spyware-Free Guaranteed!

You can download the 7.52MB Windows version here: Partition Wizard Home Edition

You can download from here: Free Download Bootable CD 39MB

Here's a handy little guide from their website that shows how to resize and/or extend partitions.

Resize Partition for Windows 7

Good Luck! Hope it all works out for you!

This is an area of interest for me.

I normally use Paragon HDM Server Edition. At $500 it's a little outside most people's area. They do very good Personal and Pro editions - obviously , they cost less.

There are several free ones.

Tho I am a fan of Paragon products - they do the best paid versions , the free edition they do is quite limited and only supports 32 bit o/s.

The same is true of Easeus. ( It does not have partition recovery - it can recover data , not the partition itself, also only for 32 bit o/s ).

Partition Wizard is by far the best free one.

It can definitely do what you want. The FREE PW supports 64 bit o/s , d/l the free Bootable CD as well.

There is no need to merge.

Simply rt click the large partition, select Move/Resize and drag it from the LEFT the required amount. Click Apply.

The resultant unallocated space will be on the left , and adjacent to the partition you want to enlarge.

Then rt click the partition you want to enlarge, drag the rt edge to the rt to incorporate the unallocated space you just made. Apply.

Last edited:
There is no need to merge.

Simply rt click the large partition, select Move/Resize and drag it from the LEFT the required amount. Click Apply.

The resultant unallocated space will be on the left , and adjacent to the partition you want to enlarge.

Then rt click the partition you want to enlarge, drag the rt edge to the rt to incorporate the unallocated space you just made. Apply.

That just worked out great, however I had a friend who had EASEUS Partion and that used the same principle as what SIW2 stated and it worked fine :) Now I have 200 gig on C: and 200 gig on D: and a 760 GB External HDD

Thank You All,

And I hope this helps for the other ones looking for an answer :D

Rahul :D

What happened to the recovery partition Dell probably placed on your Laptop?

You can resize your large partition so there's 1 partition with all the data and the rest is unallocated space which you can then merge to C without a problem.

You can also use Partition Magic Trial for this operation:

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Back
Top Bottom