Windows 10 Really trying to keep my cool here...

carriero77

For quite some time I denied the windows 10 update. Call it a hunch.

Then I finally got sick of the constant pop ups, and although intuition told me not to install, I did.

Now I am having problems on both of my computers. One, my work computer, that I do graphic design on has been stuck for weeks on the blue Welcome to Windows 10 page, when I push next it restarts and ends up at that same page. I went in ostrich mode, turned it off and tried to do everything I needed on my laptop. Now why when Windows 7 was working just fine did we have to upgrade, anyway? I really did not want, or need to, and this computer is now having problems as well. For example, why would you remove all of the DVD player drivers.. Now I can not play DVD's on this computer. I try to install apps and nothing works! I know we are suppose to remain calm in here but I am feeling a volcano building in my stomach... and just want to scream!

Any advice that actually works would be great!

Hi carriero! Don't panic! Keep your cool! I recommend using the media creation tool!
You can find it here. It will take a couple of hours to upgrade to W10.
Windows 10

Well shoot, I tried to edit my post and it told me it wouldn't post because it was considered spam... and I see now that it posted both of them. Oh well. Not sure why I have to upgrade again? But I guess I will try. But as for my other computer, I can actually do nothing. It goes to that blue screen and I can not overwrite it. I think the only choice I have is to pay now for someone to repair it. That just doesn't seem right.

Hi carriero. The media creation tool is how I do all my W10 upgrade. On the other PC; can you get to the advanced repair mode?
May be better to work on one PC at a time. Power off the other computer. Then power on and hold down the Shift key and see if you can get into the advanced repair mode. My first choice would then be restore to a earlier point. Don't give up!
Here read this by Shawn Brink!
Advanced Startup Options - Boot to in Windows 10

Hi

Not a solution but a suggestion!

Once you get it sorted out, be sure that you create a system image file.
I use EaseUS Todo backup, it's free, it works great and it's saved me multiple times since I started beta testing Windows 10.

Free Download EaseUS Backup Software for Windows PC, Workstation and Server.

I too do graphic design on my PC in Windows 10, and I haven't had any problems running anything on it.

From Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign to Premiere and Poser Pro everything runs better then it did in earlier versions of Windows.
I don't have any freezes or crashes, it's pretty much trouble free.

But do make a system image and update it at least once a month, it only takes about 20 minutes to create or restore a backup.

The software will make a bootable repair disk in either Linux or Windows PE that will boot and repair your computer.

Before you pay someone to fix it I'd at least try and backup all your data and run reset and let it make a clean reinstallation.

This often works better then the original upgrade from a previous Windows version.

If you only have one hard drive then partition it into 2 drives with a smaller one for Windows and install all you stuff on the larger one, and save all your data there as well.

Do this right after Resetting you PC, before you start reinstalling your software.

Keep the C:\ drive as small as possible 200GB is plenty.
I'm only using about 75GB of the 250GB I have allocated.

If you can't get to the restore interface then you can get a Windows install disk here...

Windows 10

Mike

Last edited:
Hi A clean install may very well be the solution. I would try the In place repair install first. A clean install will require installing all your Apps.
If you're having problems with Windows 10 on your PC, you could use push-button reset to refresh or reset Windows.

Refresh your PC Fixes software problems by reinstalling the OS while preserving the user data, user accounts, and important settings. All other preinstalled customizations are restored to their factory state. In Windows 10, this feature no longer preserves user-acquired Windows apps.

Reset your PC prepares the PC for recycling or for transfer of ownership by reinstalling the OS, removing all user accounts and contents (e.g. data, Classic Windows applications, and Universal Windows apps), and restoring preinstalled customizations to their factory state.

The options above are great for what they are intended for, but you could also do a repair install of Windows 10 by performing an in-place upgrade without losing anything other than all installed Windows Updates.
Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

This tutorial will show you how to do a repair install of Windows 10 by performing an in-place upgrade without losing anything.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do a repair install of Windows 10.

Thanks for your suggestions Mike! I like team work. A clean install would be my second choice. I really like the create a image suggestion you made.
Click on my signature friend!;)

Thank you both. So last night I went through the media creation tool....

And it went to a blue screen to start installing, and now this time was on a blue preparing screen for 4 hours! And never seemed to get anywhere...what the heck is going on? I guess I will try to do the repar install now on the laptop instead. And try to start the desktop and get it in repair mode if possible. Thanks for the feedback. I really hope something works out soon.

Please post make and model of the PC that is stuck on the blue screen. Try restarting and tapping different F keys. Try F11 on start up!
We need to get into the repair mode!

Well... Unfortunately nothing has worked for my big graphic design computer, the one that I actually need in order to work... Pushing any of the keys suggested when turning it on will not get it in repair mode, it just does the same old thing and goes to the blue welcome to Windows 10 screen. I cannot do anything to overwrite it... and now as I have read more, I believe this computer is not compatible with Windows 10. It was built by someone so I don't have the specific specifications. So what really angers me is that for months this pop up to upgrade to 10 just kept coming on, when it was running on 7 just fine. Windows should not prompt you to upgrade to a system when your hardware is not compatible. Now I am afraid my only option is to take it in to get it fixed and I may loose tons of work and photos...this has been beyond frustrating, I am actually very angry!

If you have access to another computer you can build a windows recovery media and use that to attempt to repair the install. It will be in Control Panel > Backup and restore

Hi! It doesn't make any difference who built the computer. If it had W7 and asked you to up grade, then it should have up graded to W10.
You need to get into the advanced repair mode! Here are several ways to do that! It appears to me that the installation didn't complete and you might fix it by getting into advanced repair!

Advanced Startup Options - Boot to in Windows 10

Boot to Advanced Startup Options from a Hard Reboot
notesmall1.png
Note

This option can be handy if you are unable to boot into Windows.

1. Press and hold the power button on your PC until it powers off.

2. Press the power button on your PC to turn it on.

3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 above until you see Please wait
during boot like below. Usually it may take repeating up to 3 times.

Hi
If all else fails make a Ubuntu disk and use it to boot your computer and copy all your files and data to a safe location. Probably an external USB drive would be best.

My Ubuntu disk seems to work on any PC that I stick it into.

Download Ubuntu Desktop | Download | Ubuntu

It's safest to use the 32 bit version, (most universal) follow the instructions to make a bootable disk and then use it to start your computer, you should be able to copy and past your files to a safe place.

At that point start over and see if you can clean install Windows 10.
You can get the ISO from Microsoft's website.

Mike

Last edited:
Back