Windows 7 Realtek HD Audio Issues

Coach Bombay

Hey all, just bought a new computer and installed Windows 7 on it. I have a Asus M3A78-CM AMD 780V/SB700 Chipset w/Integrated ATI video, 8-channels, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, Single PCI-E MB motherboard and am using Realtek HD onboard audio. I am experiencing some popping, ventrilo lagging inbound every now and then, and as soon as I launch any game there is a constant hiss in my headphones... the only time the hiss goes away is when the game is booting up or a map is loading. I am using the newest drivers from realtek's site here:
Realtek
I am using my mobo's latest bios, but I have not installed the chipset driver, because there is only a Vista driver.

Here is the rest of my build if needed for any reason:
AMD Phenom™ II X4 940 Black Edition Quad-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology
4 GB DDR2-1066 PC2 8500 Memory Module Corsair Dominator
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 2GB w/DVI + TV Out Video

Please Help!

Last edited:
Windws 7 is Vista with a makeover. Why would you not install chipset drivers? People please look at the 'real' picture here - Windoze 7 is just Vista re-worked. It will still be a malfunctioning OS no matter what. So install your drivers/controllers and as usual 'hope for the best'

I do not use an Asus board, but I do use the Realtek integrated on my ASRock Mobo. You have 2 choices here. You can uninstall anything Realtek and use Windows 7 generic which will give you sound which is not entierly horrible, but let's just say you can tell the difference between generic sound drivers and a good ole Realtek driver. Option 2 is what I tried, but cautiously. I made sure no Realtek anything was installed in Windows 7 7100RC and, amazingly, just installed the ASRock Vista x64 driver provided on the CD that came with my mobo. So I would make sure everything Realtek is removed and just try the vista driver.

I actually tried to install the Vista chipset driver after I posted, and it wouldn't even let me open the file. I figured out that it's my case that caused the problem, it only occurs when I use the headphone and mic on top of the case. Thanks for the help guys!

Back