Reasons why Linux is better then Windows and 10 distros to try out for beginners

Ralph Bromley

Fantastic Member
Consider this my nudge topic, since Linux here has been clumped together in this new section I am amking the best of it by making a controversial subject matter.
But the truth is that I do think linux is better then Windows and here is why:

1 It is developed by communities: Microsoft values self interest and self importance.
What you say about windows doesnt matter to them, they only care about the bottom dollar.
Linux however has no corporate interests, and even the distros maintained by companies such as Redhat offer an open ear.
2 Choice: Microsoft wants you to use whatever they want you to use, they dont care if you want it or not.
Linux however does offer choice and if you dont like it you can change it.
3 Ease of use: Yes I actually consider linux easier then windows, the only time windows seems easier is when you have certain hardware and need drivers for it.
But for codec installation and software installation I dare say Linux is easier.
The reports of windows being easy is merely an illusion.
4 open source: Open source is the best method when it comes to software development. It can take ages just to get a simple bug fix to communicate in a closed source environment.
I always get updates and never have to wait eons for security patches, Windows and its closed source model leaves so many opportunities to exploit bugs.
5 No need for antivirus, defragging, or any of the nonsense you see in windows: Sure Linux has its security issues, in fact its rather big news when it happens as seen with the Hand of Thief Trojan that has graced linux systems. But security issues are an every day thing in windows, thus why its not noticed.
No OS is bulletproof, but i often feel safer and more secure using linux.

As for some distributions you can try well I have quite a few that I think a windows can jump into with only a tiny learning curve:

1 Linux Mint: The easiest Linux distro for people to use bar none, with a windows XP like UI it is a system that comes with codecs and all the bells and whistles you need.
2 SolydXK: A new distro that offers stability and ease of use, both feature a windows XP/7 like setup
3: Zorin OS: Zorin is mainly targeted at windows 7 users and actually offers Wine to use some windows applications by default
4 Netrunner: A nice windows like distro, fast and clean.
5 Ubuntu: Ubuntu is the most popular linux right now, for those wanting to try something that doesnt look and feel like windows this is a good place to start.
While it doesnt offer codecs by default it has tools to get you media playback.
6 openSUSE: openSUSE is one of the key distros in linux, again not offering any codecs but it does feature a nice solid OS.

So there you have it, disagree if you want but I gave my honest opinions here.

Addendum: I had a forum hiccup and I didnt notice it until I posted.
Can the topic title be changed to:
5 Reasons why Linux is better then Windows and 5 distros to try out for beginners

Sorry about that, it must have happened when I was making the post.

Last edited:
The single reason "the only time windows seems easier is when you have certain hardware and need drivers for it" is more than enough for most consumers. They want to be able to go to Wal-Mart grab a printer/fax/scanner and have it running in 30 minutes, not 6 hours (oh and by the way sorry the scan feature doesn't work in Linux, sorry!). Geeks like us like Linux because we can understand it, or if we cannot find an answer we know if we keep messing with something we'll find a resolution.

As I have used many different distros I find "choice" less then windows. As a pc user windows is easier for the home user. ARCH is my distro of choice. I use it for a recovery bootable usb drive for windows. But the last year I or so it has been used less. Well none now that I think about it.

As for linux distros, if you are a home user and do not maintain your own software packages. Then you have to use community built packages. That to me is why linux never hits main street. Kind of a shame too. The linux kernel is getting more and more proprietary drivers. Again a common user uses a generic kernel. If a distro got a little more self interest and self importance I mean right down to the desktop, file and web browser, and text editor. I would lean more towards that distro. Opensource is great but even red hat as a paid OS uses community maintain packages.

rpm deb .tar packages I can not find on cd/dvd. bandwidth restrictions play a role using linux now that I think about it. I never used a MAC but it is a unix linux base OS. I would go for that before a distro. If I was to run it as a proprietary OS.

As I have used many different distros I find "choice" less then windows. As a pc user windows is easier for the home user. ARCH is my distro of choice. I use it for a recovery bootable usb drive for windows. But the last year I or so it has been used less. Well none now that I think about it.

As for linux distros, if you are a home user and do not maintain your own software packages. Then you have to use community built packages. That to me is why linux never hits main street. Kind of a shame too. The linux kernel is getting more and more proprietary drivers. Again a common user uses a generic kernel. If a distro got a little more self interest and self importance I mean right down to the desktop, file and web browser, and text editor. I would lean more towards that distro. Opensource is great but even red hat as a paid OS uses community maintain packages.

rpm deb .tar packages I can not find on cd/dvd. bandwidth restrictions play a role using linux now that I think about it. I never used a MAC but it is a unix linux base OS. I would go for that before a distro. If I was to run it as a proprietary OS.
Well if you are basing your assumptions off arch then yeah its a very self maintained OS, but other distros dont need you to do that
Also Macs are based more on BSD then actual UNIX, apple practically stole the code but due to the nature of the BSD licence its perfectly leagal.
As for a distro trying to do its own thing well there is Elementary OS that is trying just that.

Well if you are basing your assumptions off arch then yeah its a very self maintained OS, but other distros dont need you to do that
Also Macs are based more on BSD then actual UNIX, apple practically stole the code but due to the nature of the BSD licence its perfectly leagal.
As for a distro trying to do its own thing well there is Elementary OS that is trying just that.

Well I check out Elementary OS and it is just a Ubuntu-based desktop distribution using gnome desktop. They have a few applications developed in-house not sure which ones though, nothing really proprietary there or should I say self interest and self importance. Person mite as well just use Ubuntu.

Linux and BSD are both Unix like operating systems. So Mac therefore Unix like OS.

Still would like to find a distro that releases a minimum OS. Say Gnome desktop and Nautilus. No web Browse. I choose the apps I want. Not from the package repository. Right from the maintainer. install packages should be universal. .exe.

Well I check out Elementary OS and it is just a Ubuntu-based desktop distribution using gnome desktop. They have a few applications developed in-house not sure which ones though, nothing really proprietary there or should I say self interest and self importance. Person mite as well just use Ubuntu.

Linux and BSD are both Unix like operating systems. So Mac therefore Unix like OS.

Still would like to find a distro that releases a minimum OS. Say Gnome desktop and Nautilus. No web Browse. I choose the apps I want. Not from the package repository. Right from the maintainer. install packages should be universal. .exe.

ElementaryOS is not gnome based as of Luna, it has its own in house DE called pantheon.
As for a minimum OS Well there is always arch or slackware, both come pretty barebones but you need some knowhow to use and install them.
As for .exe, well sorry but we really dont have a single universal installer format (outside of compiling)
It was tried but it never flew.
Still though most package formats work similarly, just for different system types.
The most common is .deb which might as well be the closest linux has to .exe.
Debian uses it
Ubuntu uses it
as does mint and several others
But not all times a .deb from Ubuntu will work in debian and vice versa.
Debian and Ubuntu have little in common these days.
Now RPM on the other hand seems to be getting better when you hop between distros, most of the issues facing the format are preety much gone these days.
The only issue with RPM is that I dont see redhat package manager based distros have nearly as m,any packages as a debian or a Ubuntu.
This can be very problematic if you are looking for a very specified thing.
I say in the linux world its best to stick to the Ubuntu/debian family, most apps have .deb packages and debians main repository is huge.

As for .exe, well sorry but "we" really don't have a single universal installer format (outside of compiling)

When you say "we" do you mean you are part of the Linux (Elementary OS) development? And yes no universal package installer is the biggest problem with opensource. Plus all the different distro's. Pantheon looks and acts a lot like gnome. Unless I got the wrong download. I been using Linux for years and it is all over the board like a jigsaw puzzle.

If you are referring to this http://elementaryos.org/ It is a Ubuntu-based desktop distribution that may have a pantheon spin. But I will investigate a little more it sounds good but I don't think its in house. Elementary OS is using it as the default DE as of luna. I'll bet it uses Ubuntu repository. I put dollars to donuts pantheon is in the Ubuntu repository. But it sound like Elementary OS is trying to go proprietary. I know there is a non community Linux distro out there some where.

When you say "we" do you mean you are part of the Linux (Elementary OS) development? And yes no universal package installer is the biggest problem with opensource. Plus all the different distro's. Pantheon looks and acts a lot like gnome. Unless I got the wrong download. I been using Linux for years and it is all over the board like a jigsaw puzzle.

Well the main reason for not having something like .exe's in linux all goes down to not wanting binary blobs.
.exe really isnt the gold standard in app installation, even in windows its not the only installer format though it is the most common.
opensource however can go both ways, in many ways its a good thing no one is forcing everyone to use a certain format that only a select few can decode and compile.
Its both a blessing and a curse for linux yes but I say its more of a blessing, no one is forcing us to use silly standards that no one wants to work with.

If you are referring to this http://elementaryos.org/ It is a Ubuntu-based desktop distribution that may have a pantheon spin. But I will investigate a little more it sounds good but I don't think its in house. Elementary OS is using it as the default DE as of luna. I'll bet it uses Ubuntu repository. I put dollars to donuts pantheon is in the Ubuntu repository. But it sound like Elementary OS is trying to go proprietary. I know there is a non community Linux distro out there some where.

No most of Elementary is in house developed with the exception of its repositories.
It uses a ubuntu base for convenience as a lot of apps aree in Ubuntu are tied into Ubuntus third party repositories.
But most of the apps in elementary are from the elementary team.
Only one or two apps dont have the hands of the elementary team in them.
As for Elementary becoming proprietary, nah I dont see it happening.
Its bound to the GPL.
If anything its Ubuntu that seems to be going that route.
In any case if you dont want a community based linux yes they exist.
There is Redhat SUSE and Mandriva, especially Mandriva who have cut all ties to the open source market.

Hey good distro for the people who hate competition and love isolationism :D

And when I say We I mean the royal we...

nah I mean the linux community.

so if i just want a live CD to use for web browsing should i go with Linux Mint or zorion or something else ?
Try Luna (Elemetary OS). It is a install and run OS. All basic computing applications are pre-installed including office, web browser, music and video players with corresponding codecs, etc.

i don't need a permanent OS just one were everythings wiped after
i restart/ eject the disc

Then try VMWare or Virtualbox, everything can be wiped out with a right-click of a mouse. On my Win 7 system I use VMWare & Virtualbox to run Linux and other OSes. Here's a shot of what I have right now: Win 8 (on VMWare) , Win 7 (Main host OS) and Mac OS X Mt. Lion 10.8 (on Virtualbox).

IMAG24421.jpg

I can wipe them out easily without affecting my Win 7 host PC.

But if you want CD Live it's good too. But you won't be able to access your host system. I've also tried using NetRunner OS (another Linux Distro) on USB flashdrive. But between Linux Mint and Zorin, Linux Mint is more stable and more secured.

Last edited:
Linux Mint can pretty much run entirely off a live USB/CD/DVD, its got an office suite and a web browser (firefox) with flash preinstalled.
Zorins the same deal, but it uses google chrome by defualt.

i went with mint , whats chrome like on linux ?

Its basically the same, there are no restrictions with it.
Actually thats why I like Chrome over firefox, firefox is very platform specific with some of its extensions.
Only one or two extensions dont work under linux with chrome, most of them dealing with silverlight websites.
But that will change soon as Silverlight is on its last legs, thank goodness.

last legs ... it is ?

For the most part yes, Silverlight 5 is the last iteration of the broken standard.
HTML5 is well on its way to becoming a standard, it is very close to replacing flash, silverlight and pretty much any other crappy closed off standard.

Back