Windows 7 recent locations in address bar

kknutson

When I had Vista, I could open up windows explorer and visit recent files or folders simply by cicking on the little down arrow up in the address bar area and then clicking on a recent location. It is basically the same as visiting recent urls in internet explorer. It would list, apx 10 to 15 recent locations.

However, In Windows 7, this functionality seems to be lacking. There are a couple drive letters listed from my external drives, and one other specific address that I don't know how it got in there. Is there a setting or something to allow Win 7 to do this? I realize I can use libraries, and do have a few setup but this isn't the same or as nice as windows just keeping track of recent locations.

Thanks for the help.

When I had Vista, I could open up windows explorer and visit recent files or folders simply by cicking on the little down arrow up in the address bar area and then clicking on a recent location. It is basically the same as visiting recent urls in internet explorer. It would list, apx 10 to 15 recent locations.

However, In Windows 7, this functionality seems to be lacking. There are a couple drive letters listed from my external drives, and one other specific address that I don't know how it got in there. Is there a setting or something to allow Win 7 to do this? I realize I can use libraries, and do have a few setup but this isn't the same or as nice as windows just keeping track of recent locations.

Thanks for the help.

Sound to me like you are missing the address bar. Right-mouse click in the task bar and select Toolbars/Address. That will give you what you want.

No, I am not missing the address bar. (doing what you suggested only adds the address bar to the task bar - not what I am looking for)

I am talking about the address bar in Windows explorer (its not missing...) When you click the arrow, in Vista, it used to list all FILES recently visited (just like IE shows recent URLS) Windows 7 doesn't do this...at least on my end - does it for you?? or anyone? The only thing that it shows is a few library folders I created.

Perhaps you mean the very small blue arrow immediately to the left of the address bar? If you open Window explorer, and select one or twoo items at random, the arrow will then show you where you have been. But it does not seem to retain the information for the next session.

Rak,
nope, I mean the arrow at the end of the address bar. (far right) The one you are talking about shows recent places but only recenly visited FOLDERS, not files.

Drew,
I already have those checked. Yes, that gives you a list of recently opened files from the start menu, but NOT from explorer. WHy does that matter you may wonder? For example, I may want to attach a recently worked on file to my email. When explorer opens to browse files, its very handy to have a link to that recently worked on file right in the drop down, instead of having to browse through several folders for it.

I have posted on many forums and no one can give a definite answer to whether or not this feature exists in Windows 7 explorer or not.

So far from what I can tell, using the black down arrow at the right end of the address bar will only show me the recent locations I've TYPED IN on that line.

But, in the left side of my Explorer window, on the left side top under FAVORITES there is a folder showing Recent Places. That usually helps me. But so far unlike the web browser, it's not working the way it should.

Back