Windows 7 Recently edited/accessed files becoming 0 bytes on restart

stumpymcdonut

As the title says, when I restart my laptop (acer aspire 3810t, upgraded from Vista 32-bit to 7 64-bit) files that have been recently edited/accessed will still be on the hard drive, although appear as 0 bytes (I'm not sure whether they are still using the same space on the disk as the problem occurs pretty much at random and only to recently accessed files, although I can try and work out whether it does if needed).

Recently (couple months ago), the laptop began to require chkdsk numerous times (weekly, then every few days, then every 2-3 days, etc) in order to keep it working properly (there is usually a good handful of orphaned files, up to a few hundred), before this issue has started occurring.

I'm wondering whether this may simply be the hard drive failing or having a bad sector, or a software/malware issue that needs fixing, I can provide any information necessary as this issue is becoming extremely annoying and has recently gotten to the point where it is becoming impossible to use the computer properly (as any recently downloaded/created files will appear as 0 bytes after a reboot, which is incredibly frustrating and means pretty much nothing can be done)

Thanks for any help that anyone can give, as mentioned I will try and give any information necessary.

What you seem to be saying may indicate a corruption of your entire hard drive. For what reasons did you decide to go to a 64 bit version of Win 7 and did you do a clean install to do so?

I went for 64-bit mostly because I bought student copies through the Microsoft website which let you purchase one 32-bit and one 64-bit version (I had already used the 32-bit).

From what I remember it was a clean install, it had come with Vista and had no files that I'd need so I'm 99.9% certain I formatted before installing it.

I can try formatting the drive and reinstalling once I've backed everything up, would you recommend the 32-bit version? (I can get a hold of a 32-bit version through MSDNAA, though if the hard disk is corrupt could that cause problems with the .iso I'd get?)

Thanks for the response :)

There isn't one that I can find, looked for it manually and searched C for "old", including hidden folders and couldn't find anything.

Back