Windows 8 Refreshed Win 8.1 gave me Win 8 in stead

groingo

I had upgraded my laptop to Win 8.1 and when I refreshed it to see if it really worked it gave me Win 8 in stead.
Anyone else have this happen?

You had 8.1 or 8.1 Pro ?
If you had 8.1 Pro and you did the refresh option, you would get reverted back to win 8 Pro.
That scenario applies only to Win 8.1 Pro.
That is the extent of what I know about this odd matter.
I don't know the " why " part.

Last edited:
I had upgraded my laptop to Win 8.1 and when I refreshed it to see if it really worked it gave me Win 8 in stead.
Anyone else have this happen?
That's probably because Windows 8 was the OS that was originally on there and you only installed 8.1 as an update via the Apps Store.. If you had installed Windows 8.1 as a clean install, instead of as an update, you would not have had this problem.

The term Reset and Refresh seem to get confused when referring to Windows 8. If you upgraded to 8.1, you cannot do a refresh unless you have the Windows 8.1 install files or had created a Custom Refresh Image. Otherwise the process will ask for the media and not complete.

If you Reset your system, then it will use an image to restore the system to factory specifications. In your case, this would probably have been Windows 8 since the 8.1 update does not create a new image for such purposes.

The term Reset and Refresh seem to get confused when referring to Windows 8. If you upgraded to 8.1, you cannot do a refresh unless you have the Windows 8.1 install files or had created a Custom Refresh Image. Otherwise the process will ask for the media and not complete.

If you Reset your system, then it will use an image to restore the system to factory specifications. In your case, this would probably have been Windows 8 since the 8.1 update does not create a new image for such purposes.
Yes that's what I was trying to say. That if you do a refresh or repair install, you won't get Windows 8.1 back unless you did a custom install from the DVD.

Back