Windows 7 regular BSOD - help needed

piker

About a month ago I reinstalled my laptop with win7-64 Professional and since then I have had a BSOD weekly. I have viewed the Event Viewer logs and can't really find anything useful to pinpoint whats causing this and am hoping that someone with more knowledge of these problems can help me here.
Before the BSOD occurs the mouse (logitech wireless M215), keyboard and touchpad all freeze for about 20 seconds. Then the fatal Blue Screen appears...
Last time I noticed that it said "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" on the bsod.
I have attached all the needed logs and files - heres hoping. Thanks.View attachment bsod logs.zip

Hi, when you re-installed windows did you get the latest drivers for your machine? If not please download and install, particularly chipset and mouse pad as it was the usb port that produced the bsod. I'm hoping it's the driver which caused the system to fail but we'll see.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Thanks kemical. Yes, they are all the latest ones off the Dell website. Is there any chance that Microsoft Security Essentials could be involved in this problem? Its mentioned a lot in Event Viewer for the critical errors.

Give this a try and see if it helps.
Update your current version of iaStor.sys from here Link Removed due to 404 Error

Code:
fffff800`00b9c860  fffff880`010380ec Unable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\iaStor.sys, Win32 error 0n2

Give this a try and see if it helps. Update your current version of iaStor.sys from here ...
Thanks for that link Trouble, i've been asking questions all over the web about updating my RST driver and have gotten nowhere. It looks like it should be compatible with my laptop, by the specs.Should I uninstall the current version first, before installing this updated one? Cheers.

Hi, can you try and update your chipset drivers off the Intel download page shown here:.. I've also asked a colleague to look over your dmp files too..
Thanks again kemical. It seems the Chipset Drivers are up-to-date using Intels online driver checker. One thing I have discovered is that I hadn't installed the driver for the Synaptics Touchpad yet (it was working so I didn't think it essential).I have now installed it and am running verifier to test it all out. Is it possible that this was causing the bsods? Cheers.

Bad news from me again i'm afraid. I ran Windows verifier for over 24 hours and then had another BSOD just a few minutes ago.This time however the BSOD screen seemed to lock up at the point where it said "Initialising disk for crash dump", I waited for over 10 minutes and then did a reset. I don't know if it made a proper dump. Could you please advise if I need to do it again?View attachment latest bsod logs.zip

Hi, the dmp files are ok so no worries. I recommend you run memtest: Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool Only test one stick at a time so if one errors out you know which one it is. Please run it for at least 7/8 passes. I'd also try running a dskchk just to make sure everything is fine that end too.

Ok. Anything different in those new dumps? I actually ran memtest for 3 hours yesterday to do the 7 passes and all was ok. That was with both sticks though, should I do it again with one at a time? Cheers.

Ok. Anything different in those new dumps? I actually ran memtest for 3 hours yesterday to do the 7 passes and all was ok. That was with both sticks though, should I do it again with one at a time? Cheers.
There was no new dump file that I could find in your latest attachment. Same two that we have been dealing with. Have you checked you minidump folder to see if there are any new ones in there?
As far as memtest is concerned, there is no reason to suspect that if the test produced no errors when testing both sticks simultaneously that it would show errors when testing sticks individually but you could certainly try it just for your own peace of mind.
Would be nice to have a recent dump file to look at. You say you ran Driver Verifier for over 24 hours. No dump files were produced during the time that DV was on?
Double check your settings and confirm that your machine is configured properly to facilitate the collection of .dmp files.
Go to Start and type in sysdm.cpl and press Enter
Click on the Advanced tab
Click on the Startup and Recovery Settings button
Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked
Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box
Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump << where your .dmp files can be found later
Click OK twice to exit the dialogs, then reboot for the changes to take effect.

Thanks Trouble. No, what I meant was that it had the BSOD on the 24th hour. The only thing was that it locked up instead of dumping. It was setup for a kernel dump but I have now set it up for a mini-dump, as per your instructions

Back